• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

AGT URAGAN 2 .... what learned these past days

SUCCESS !!!!!

The plenum has an I.D. of @ .940" and taking into account the end caps left 2.1" that either gets a Depinger or a Fill plug ?
Opted for the latter making a full diameter 2.1" plug from solid Acetal with a 1/4" hole down the middle.

Still plenty of plenum surrounding valve for the .177 caliber.

Assembled shooting at exact same velocity of @ 875 with 8.4's and ZERO PING, just a mellow muzzle pop !

Think we're done ... tho some 5+ hours later in figuring it all out.

Did you get a before and after shot count?? You stated 40+bar / shot... Whats it's consumption now after rework?

Reduced transfer port from .23 to .14. You opened the vent from .025 to .04, and added a fill plug to reduce plenum size. What else?

If you thoroughly read the thread comprehending what said ? most of the info has been stated.
Shot strings I've not done & leaving to the customer. It is what it is and no further or little more for efficiency is possible.
Near Every trick and known crutch of this valves tech has been used in this efficiency reworking project ... the finer details of cause & effect is what I get paid for knowing and doing.

Sorry ... this thread is an FYI as written.

You said it was an air hog, and gave specs, i was just wondering what the final performance was, and how much it improved.
I get that .. sorry to seem blunt. I'm generally not a number cruncher but a mechanic who repairs or modifies for a better result.
While I could see how far customers supplied figures crunch to where at now, end result is just a number.
Can state the air use is a whole lot less, muzzle report greatly reduced. The whole reason for thread was educational to the degree of evolving valve tech and application where it really does not fit the application or caliber.

When rifle gets back to its owner I will indeed be getting feedback and with that will share the data received.

This gun belongs to a Professional Pest Management individual who works threw out the west at farms, vineyards and dairies etc ... Shoots many tins worth of pellet per week and will shoot this gun equally. So his feedback and numbers will be as real as it gets IMO.

Thanks,

SUCCESS !!!!!

The plenum has an I.D. of @ .940" and taking into account the end caps left 2.1" that either gets a Depinger or a Fill plug ?
Opted for the latter making a full diameter 2.1" plug from solid Acetal with a 1/4" hole down the middle.

Still plenty of plenum surrounding valve for the .177 caliber.

Assembled shooting at exact same velocity of @ 875 with 8.4's and ZERO PING, just a mellow muzzle pop !

Think we're done ... tho some 5+ hours later in figuring it all out.
Damn!

Reactions: douger
22 cal.. Same thing MotorHead describes. Just using way more air than it needs to. Its loud, mine dont “ping” tho. Just seems like the valve is staying open way too long, and turning loose of a lot of air. This one didnt want to take air, arrived empty. I shot 2 magazines of redesigns, had promising groups @ 30 yards. If its anything like my V3, itll settle in and do really good after a little bit of shooting… It cocks easy, is very maneuverable, and it fits me well. Think im gonna like it a lot. Just need to get it quietened down some.

59D4F31B-A104-47B9-8754-256EA2E3079F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Centercut
Great post, Scott! I have a new .30/700 coming next week .. hoping it will rip heavier slugs without having to do too many modifications. Is there any "meat" there to open up the .230" transfer port if one were so inclined?
Just reading this ...
The specs of the inner valve I did not explore .. being, what i had was already too much.
The MONO BLOCK receiver if not mistaken has the valves actual Seat / throat / stem hole machined into the Mono Block. This is no removable "Valve"

The .230" transfer is unique in that it passes threw a V saddle that also supports the barrel. the transfer hole is already cutting into each side of the V where anchor grub screws sit either side & not sure if a larger hole would weaken them further ? ** Honestly DID NOT like the design because as if you get overly aggressive tightening them this area could easily fracture IMO.

I've not seen inside a factory U2 that is above this threads .177 & no idea on if or not they may have a larger seat / throat than what I was working with ?
Also this brings up an unknown .... If the bigger calibers are using a larger poppet / throat & balance chamber is the same ? ... This would skew the ratio and change the dwell characteristics of the valve.

Yea a lot to know with this valves, & just don't know what design / ratio direction URAGAN has went with the differing calibers ?

Last edited:
Reactions: mtnGhost
So with the short barrel and long valve dwell , would that mean the .177 is better suited for heavier pellet ? I had recently ordered a Compact Prince in .177 . I had the intension of using JSB Knockouts in 10.03g but the longer skirts are more sensative when too much air volume is used . Maybe some 10g Zans with a more flat base would work . Losing that joyful feeling and haven't even gotten the rifle yet ......oh boy

So with the short barrel and long valve dwell , would that mean the .177 is better suited for heavier pellet ? I had recently ordered a Compact Prince in .177 . I had the intension of using JSB Knockouts in 10.03g but the longer skirts are more sensative when too much air volume is used . Maybe some 10g Zans with a more flat base would work . Losing that joyful feeling and haven't even gotten the rifle yet ......oh boy
"BOLD" is just a bad combo period. For any given caliber, TIME & DISTANCE a given projectile is being pushed upon matters when power extraction from the air is trying to be optimized. A valve discharging huge amounts of air volume and not enough barrel length WILL BE AN AIR HOG without gaining much in power beyond what typical for a given barrel length. In the case of balanced valves, More pellet weight will yield more extracted power in a given barrel length, but still use unreasonable amounts of air in doing so.

I got the big bottle Uragan 177, Reg set at 80 and shooting 10gr JSB at 890 FPS i got about 500 shots, I could waste a tin, I had the Reg turned up a little to 90 bar shooting the 10 gr JSB at around 980 FPS My shot count is roughy 425 or so , I know a lot of difference between big bottle and small bottle, But if I could sent my gun to Motor Head It might shoot forever on one fill, LOL GUYS.
Mike

Motorhead,

you are a CRACK!!

I just stumbled upon this thread, and you're — well, amazing! A true AGG (AirGun Genius).

You cut through manufacturer's engineering errors,
drill deep into the internal ballistics and explain what's what, why, and how, and
make a gun do what it could never have done without you.

Awesome!! ⭐

Thank you for sharing so freely some of your expertise here — so much more to learn! 😊

Matthias