• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Against the grain....

Going against the grain of keyboard snipers with my Prophet Compact. 

- 400mm barrel (short aka not accurate at long ranges)

- 765fps with 21gr H&N slugs (too slow for slugs not 950fps+)

- Compact bullpup (too small to shoot accurately)

Just a few common misconceptions Ive seen over the years. 

All guns are different and you never know what your gun might like. Doesn't hurt to test out your gun cause you never know. These were shot at 120yds. There was a variable light wind quartering towards me from about the 1-2 o'clock direction. Kinda tricky trying to read the wind at times but when it stayed steady was able to lay them in pretty good groups. This is how they were shot. Not crazy steady but pretty good sitting on the driver's seat. Groups were shot as quick as I could before wind changed and shifted the group.

IMG_20220428_160113919_HDR.1651201605.jpg

1st group 4 shots

Screenshot_20220428-200824.1651201824.png

2nd group 5 shots 

Screenshot_20220428-200752.1651201884.png

3rd group 4 shots

Screenshot_20220428-200940.1651201951.png

I do plan on tuning the gun to shoot these in the 850fps range for better trajectory. However pretty awesome how well these slugs shoot at these speeds.

@bamavet55 yeah I remember that thread! And good question on the expansion. I'm not sure the H&N matters much. I doubt they expand much at all as the HP is more like a dimple same as the CPHP pellets. Just using them for bucking wind better.

@L.leon you know not much besides feel and seeing where the groups shift. One group was basically held dead on windage, one was half a mil and the other a mil. You can see the left edge of the brick and see where it shifted on me.

@Glem.Chally thanks! Surprised myself quite honestly.

@Bander124 that sounds like a fun gun to shoot. Bet it's a very calm shot cycle. Quite impressed with the Prophets.

@Ranchibi thanks Randall! Yes this gun is a keeper. What's surprised me most is I regularly shoot FX 16gr and CPHPs through it and horizontally they shoot the same. So do these slugs also! Don't know if I have ever had that before. I had thought about the LR barrel but seeing how well this barrel shoots across a variety of ammo I'm not sure I want to touch it!

@airdog yeah I have this gun dialed in very well. And yeah lol took me more than a few frogs like a hole damn pond full! Looking forward to see how your 500mm version one does!

@Long_Gun_Dallas yes I agree on the short barrel 100%. I've been a fan of short barreled guns for many years. Starting with my WARP at 16", Taipan Veteran Shorty at 14"~, EVOL at 15" and the RTI at 15.75". Been some of my favorite guns. I also agree on slugs. I've had a few guns love slugs and haven't shot any over 900fps. Just have to see what yours like. And thanks!

@2L8 thanks Patrick!

Now to go off this I have seen it quite a bit from people that think that short barrels are less accurate than long barrels at distance. I'm not sure why this is but it's certainly not true. A good barrel is a good barrel and can shoot just as accurately as a long barrel. However there are some benefits to longer barrels in PCPs in regards to efficiency and power. That can't be argued there. But with a shorter barrel there naturally more stiff and there is a shorter time in the barrel.

I've seen alot also that people say when slugs aren't shooting well out of someone's gun that oh just need to try them at 1000fps or so. They only shoot well at high speeds. I personally have also found that to not be true. I've had a few guns like slugs and as stated before I don't think I ever shot them above 900fps. Could they be tightened up? Maybe but not sure. Could be harder to shoot at the higher speeds also depending on the gun. Of course this is all dependent on your specific gun as there all different and all barrels are different. But just cause your gun might not have the power to sling slugs at 1000fps+ doesn't mean they won't be accurate in your gun. Alot think it's for twist rate and making it more stable. However with a 17.7" twist rate barrel like mine, shooting these slugs at 765fps, according to the Berger Bullets Calculator has a SG of 2.03 making it well into the stable zone. At 1000fps it's only 2.22. Not that big of a difference.

I have also seen people saying bullpups just aren't as accurate as a good ol traditional rifle. I used to be of this thought years ago before I started shooting bullpups. Just isn't true. Alot of top Airgun manufacturers guns are bullpups nowadays. If that was true I doubt we'd be seeing them be pushed so hard. Takes alittle more time to get used to it at first but shooting bullpups for a long time now I greatly prefer them to a standard rifle. Simply a personal preference thing. Now not saying that length and weight doesnt help though for shooting, but I haven't seen it make the gun shoot anymore accurately, maybe just easier to shoot. 

Lol just some of my thoughts. Take them for what they are. I know quite a few people agree especially those with lots of shooting experience. But do see those posts still now and again and all I'm just saying is for newbies is don't buy into the hype of stuff like that. 

Very nice shooting! 

those are definitely 3 VERY common misconceptions in the airgun world.

– 400mm barrel (short aka not accurate at long ranges) - this is because shorter barrel is much harder to get a very good and efficient tune compared to a 600-700mm barrel especially for slugs. Good tuning experience/skill(more than just turning a hammer spring dial) is required! If that’s true then hand guns should not be able to shoot anything but a giant shot gun pattern but we all know that’s not true. With the right hand gun I can pick off quarters at 50 feet. 

– 765fps with 21gr H&N slugs (too slow for slugs not 950fps+) - this is because some people do not understand slug/bullet stability factor or twist rate. Even a lot of people in PB world do not understand it. 

– Compact bullpup (too small to shoot accurately) - this is because it IS MUCH harder to shoot a short gun accurately compared to a long gun which is much more stable. However, technic and support can solve most of it like your very stable tripod. Just takes some skills and ingenuity. 

it is certainly fun to dis-prove misconceptions or do something that is more challenging! Very nicely done!