Afternoon pest session post-turkey hunt

Noticed a ground a squirrel climbing off of a post IN MY BACKYARD. Does he even realize the danger he's put himself in?? At any rate, I got the MKII .25 and went out to see if he was still around. He bailed, but I took the time to crank up the scope and scan the south end of a creek bottom that I really never look at. Low and behold, a squirrel is perched on a rock.

My range finder gave me anywhere from 221 to 226 depending on what stick it hit. I did a guess-stimate with JSB's and let fly. Nothing. Another adjustment. Nothing. I did hear the thump of the pellet hitting dirt, but no dust cloud (ground's wet) and no movement from the squirrel. This went on for about the 8 more shots I had left.

Defeated, but not conquered, I went inside and got the NSA 26.8's out of the cabinet and loaded up a clip. I went back out and he was still there sitting high and proud. I shot @ 3-4 times and then hit the right adjustment (lower) and I saw the slug hit the rock about 4" down and to the left of the varmint. BINGO! I made the adjustment and even from that distance the resounding 'thunk' of the NSA finding its home on the next shot was loud as hell. The squirrel rolled off his rock and tried to crawl back to a hiding spot. Now knowing my scope dope I let another go and heard the 'thunk' a second time and that sent him flipping through the grass down into the thickets.

While I was looking through the scope for movement on the squirrel I spotted a jackrabbit just to the left of where the squirrel was. He was crouching behind some weeds, but I could see his head clearly enough. I adjusted the FFP scope a bit again and focused on dropping in a perfect shot. 'Thunk'...jack down.

Now that I have the scope dope for that spot, I can plink from my backdoor off of the deck railing at varmints whenever I see them, lol.

Fun way to wrap up an already successful day with a morning turkey.

•  
    download.png
    225yardjack26.8nsa.1648771810.jpg

In all reality, great shooting is getting done in one shot; knowing the elevation and windage and not 'walking' it in like I did, lol. That being said, it's still fun and the MKII delivers the package to the same address every single time, so that helps.

Jacks are pests here with no season. I don't know anyone that eats them. Hares are not rabbits for sure when it comes to eating, They carry a lot of diseases, similar with ground squirrels. 

As far as range on Impact, for 'me' anything 100 yards and in is a chip shot, 100 to 150 is iffy, and 150 to 250 is a punkin chunk. I'm also in the field 99% of the time vs. on the bench or computing calculations from my desk top, so most shots are spontaneous and not planned out. I have a long range gun in the Texan .308 that more than gets it done down range too for those situations.