Aftermarket regulator, yes or no?

I’m looking for max bench accuracy at 50 and 75yds with pellets for my Cayden and Akela rifles and drop off seems to be a problem. I have been keeping them to predetermined pressures based on best groups and think these would benefit from being regulated. As it turns out the Cayden 22 loves high velocity and I would hate to loose that with a regulator that reduces velocity. The ones I have researched are adjustable up to 150bar max. My Akela is 177 and hard to keep it subsonic so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I have other factory regulated rifles that work fine but I haven't yet tried an aftermarket reg so this is new to me.

Also, just for thought, I have two older Stormriders in 177 and 22 that after modifications shoot way better than they should and wonder if they might also benefit from the addition of a reg even with their small volume. Now that I own better stuff I keep returning to the Stormrider rifles for pure shooting pleasure as they are perfect for field and offhand use and are designed to have the feel of an older American rimfire rifle.

Thanks,

Tom

It's true that on any gun there are things that can be tuned, but at the very least a regulator would take that variable out of the equation. 

As far as the one preferring higher velocity, I think that's going to be more pellet dependent than the gun and so I wouldnt worry much about the nominal velocity loss from it. I've put aftermarket regs in several low to mid range guns with good results. I usually go with Altaros, but it's more out of familiarity with them. Huma makes great regs as well. 

You own better stuff so you have a benchmark to go with. It seems that tinkering and modification is an offshoot of the hobby that many of us enjoy so go for it!

I added a regulator to my Marauder. The regulator was only one of 4 parts I needed to really make the gun perform.

Regulator, lighter spring, lighter hammer and new transfer port.

Spent several weeks rebalancing all the parts. Tried two or three spring combinations, installed the new hammer with factory striker, etc. Finally with much help from forum members, I arrived at about 850 fps and 50 shots per fill with very consistent speeds instead of the original 30 shots per fill and standard shot curve. All the regulator did was flatten the shot curve.

The transfer port was larger than the factory port removing a bottle neck. The spring was lighter than the factory, hammer was lighter as well. That combination of parts allowed me to tune the gun with the power I wanted. Sadly, it's not just adding a regulator to flatten the shot string, lots of balancing involved here too.

Lastly, the reg is set at around 1800 PSI. I could increase the power by turning the reg up, but not what I want. So, no the reg does not reduce power, it only controls the power.

NO! As others have said, adding a Huma regulator will reduce power and add complexity. I have the exact two rifles that you have - Cayden.22 and Akela.177. This is a simple 5 minute fix as the stock 3.5” hammer spring in these rifles is too long. I’ve posted extensive info on this topic on GTA and I believe here. I will dig up and repost. 

In the meantime, if you shorten the spring in your .177 Akela to 2.57”, you will have a flat shot string for 100+shots! (yes, I’ve run 100+ shot strings 5 times now with my Akela - no BS here - just fact). The string is FLAT - about 16fps spread - not a “bell curve” - now that’s really cool!

What is also really cool is that your hammer spring adjuster screw will now be usable, instead of backed all the way out. So you can then use your HS adjuster to dial in pellet speed.

7700A818-EDE5-4ED7-A2A2-3907F43D9599.1645293653.jpeg
This is a repost of my first experience with 2.57” spring. I’ve since confirmed 5 times that you will get a flat 100+ shot string with .177 Akela with 2.57” spring. I’m still experimenting with .22 Cayden, but currently get 60 shot flat shot string with hammer spring shortened to 2.71”.

damn - why can’t you cut-n-paste into this editor?!?

EPG, Thats some pretty interesting results you got with only a hammer spring mod. I had seen your previous post and saved it and plan to do the same thing. Kudos for the great work, very meticulous! I’ll get started this week. The same thing should apply to the Stormriders I would think, and with their small capacity the horrible shot curve should get better.

Tom