AfterMarket kits for my gun at least, a TX20

Sorry but need to say this:

Its is always amazing to me how some feel the need to immediately buy some tune kit out of the the box, and well before 500-1000 pellets. . Honestly, its been a while with me and shooting, Out of the box, my TX200 was grouping at 3 inches at 50 yards, I need to relearn my shooting skills for sure I haven't shot any rifle for 30 yeas and was quite happy w that group off hand for the time being. I think the TX200 I just purchased has great potential out of the box. I would certainly expect an $ 800 gun would not need an imeadiae Tune Kit and I certainly plan to shoot this gun a lot more before I start to think about after market spring/ guide kits, Just my opinion and no intention to offend anyone.

My point is, should you buy a quality air gun, wait and practice before investing in an upgrade kit, just my opinion.

I would think it depends. Here are just a few examples on the other side of the coin:

A person is a competitive shooter. They tune it to their needs or have it professionally tuned.

A person has lots of experience with the platform and knows exactly what they want.

One individual short stroked his TX200.

The part I enjoy most about this forum is seeing the different paths people take.

It is their money. If they want to torture test 3 guns I say go for it :LOL:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you want the absolute best scenario then shoot your new rifle as much and long as you can. Blend all the moving parts together. The contact points take time to mesh with one another. An instant tune kit and polish of piston/spring is a huge difference out-of-the-box. However; the same tuning after a few thousand rounds through the gun and the tune is superior. With an “instant tune” the metal has not blended yet and will scar still when it does. In other words the tune gets a little less good in time. A tune after the blend keeps getting better with time. I have polished a trigger and sear to a mirror finish before they have set to each other and after a shooting session checked it to find both sides scared and the trigger to be heavier than before the session. Not so after the two have meshed. The mirror finish held.

HWs are buzzy beasts from they factory. Why they don't fit a better guide from the factory is beyond me. I dont mind the buzz on some of them, but my 95 just resonated wrong in my ear. It had to go.

The TX just works better short stroked for me. I got a substantial increase in accuracy, next to zero hold sensitivity, and it got rid of the *click*click*click* ratcheting anti-bear trap system. I was never a fan of that.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Why wait and waste 1000 pellets, tune right away and enjoy.
Exactly! I shot 1,000 or so and really started to dislike my HW95.
Installing a kit transformed it into what it should have been in the first place.

My HW30 wasn’t as bad and I didn’t kit it until 4k-5k rounds. When I finally did, I was left with a feeling of loss as to why did I wait so long.

If you want the absolute best scenario then shoot your new rifle as much and long as you can. Blend all the moving parts together. The contact points take time to mesh with one another. An instant tune kit and polish of piston/spring is a huge difference out-of-the-box. However; the same tuning after a few thousand rounds through the gun and the tune is superior. With an “instant tune” the metal has not blended yet and will scar still when it does. In other words the tune gets a little less good in time. A tune after the blend keeps getting better with time. I have polished a trigger and sear to a mirror finish before they have set to each other and after a shooting session checked it to find both sides scared and the trigger to be heavier than before the session. Not so after the two have meshed. The mirror finish held.

read this as many time as necessary Great advise from Bear Of Grayling
Reactions:You, maxtrouble, Sqwirlfugger57 and 1 other person

I don’t like factory spring twang and I think that most US market HW/AA spring guns are over sprung from the factory. So I almost always install a tune kit right away to improve the shot cycle and achieve my desired power level. My experience is that waiting to tune has no beneficial impact on how the gun smooths out over time.

R

Reactions: Struckat
I shot my TX200 a few hundred times, then took it apart and gave it a good cleaning, polished the spring ends, deburred everything, gave it a light lube and put it back together. The shot cycle was better but still buzzy. After about 700 pellets I installed a Vortek PG4 full power kit. It's like a different rifle, the twang/buzz is gone, it's just a solid whack now when it goes off. The rifle lost a few fps but still averages 904 fps with AA 8.44's.

I am shooting .50" to .80" at 50 yards from a bench with my out of the box TX200. Shooting 3 inches at 50' would seem pretty decent to me off hand. I doubt the rifle is really limiting you much right now. Get the feel of it, break it in and then tune would be my vote. I tweak everything so I will tweak something at some point I expect.

Sorry but need to say this:

Its is always amazing to me how some feel the need to immediately buy some tune kit out of the the box, and well before 500-1000 pellets. . Honestly, its been a while with me and shooting, Out of the box, my TX200 was grouping at 3 inches at 50 yards, I need to relearn my shooting skills for sure I haven't shot any rifle for 30 yeas and was quite happy w that group off hand for the time being. I think the TX200 I just purchased has great potential out of the box. I would certainly expect an $ 800 gun would not need an imeadiae Tune Kit and I certainly plan to shoot this gun a lot more before I start to think about after market spring/ guide kits, Just my opinion and no intention to offend anyone.

My point is, should you buy a quality air gun, wait and practice before investing in an upgrade kit, just my opinion.

The question that needs to be asked before going any further:

Have you shot and/or owned a properly setup spring piston gun with a tune kit?

So let's take a step back and talk about what's happening here....

So the parts "mesh". I assume you are saying they wear together by removing the high spots to make more even contact. If that's the case, where does the metal go that gets removed in the process? Also, doesn't the metal being removed make for wider/sloppier tolerances? And where is the lube preventing this metal-to-metal friction from happening in the first place?

What's the difference between "wearing in" and "wearing out"?

I've shot and worked on guns both ways, and I'm sorry, but this just doesn't hold water or add up in my experience.

Polishing the piston does absolutely nothing for actual benefit. The piston is almost always harder than the compression tube *in a break barrel*. If you wanted to make a bigger difference, polish the tube instead or in conjunction. But you never hear of anyone doin that, because you can't look at it or take a picture and get the warm fuzzies about it.

Whatever works for you, do it and enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: EMrider