• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Afraid of the power

Respect the power, don’t fear it. Those characters that had the gun blow up did not degas the gun prior to disassembly- violated rule number 1. Compressors are to be operated behind a wall as a general principle for safety in the event of failure. But by and large, you will find user negligence behind 90% of these accidents. Learn the protocols and enjoy the hobby. 👍
Good idea regarding the wall. I was planning on initially building a MDF wall enclosure around it and operating it via a remote when turning it on

I've used firearms a little for about 50 years but got into PCPs in 2020. So I'm relatively new at it. I am a retired mechanical engineer. The pressures involved In definitely deserve respect. Most electricity is generated using steam at 2400 psi or less. There are only a couple plants worldwide that have used 5000 psi and they have been downgraded. But steam is also a lot more dangerous than air. But still the pressures are not anything to treat casually.

The worst incident I have had was from disconnecting the air hose from my SCBA tank after a gun fill without bleeding the air. Didn't hurt anything but scared me. This is actually hard to do. The foster fitting does not want to come open. The fitting just whipped around a bit when it came off. Could have hit something and done damage but it didn't.

I have had leaks, those are not anything at all violent. Typically an O-ring just needs changed. That airgun part in the leg was an example of somebody trying to make their own gun and messing up. No reason to be doing that (make your own gun, everybody messes up at least a little).

All guns, airguns included, deserve respect. Big bores are more powerful but are relatively low on fpe compared to common powder burners. My 30 06 has about 3000 fpe at the muzzle, for instance. No airgun is close. There are also much more powerful powder burners. Airguns are less powerful than powder burners but they are still not toys and all the same rules apply. In addition, you need to be careful with high pressure air. But there are safety rules with just about everything. Follow them and you don't get injured. Ignore them and maybe you get lucky, maybe not.

I think you need somebody to shoot with, at least at first. If they really bother you too much, however, you probably should get rid of them. Being afraid could make you somewhat distracted and that could contribute to an error.
I think if I had somebody to shoot with who is experienced would definitely help in learning the ropes.

Thankyou for all that responded. Maybe I will give this another chance. My experience was very limited so probably I got too caught up on the risk part rather than the logical part.

Anybody live near San Diego that would want go help me get these setup and go shooting?

My Gear:

1. Benjamin Bulldog .35​

2. AEA Zeus .72 Caliber Airgun (Gen. 2)​

3. AEA Challenger Bullpup Airgun – Big Bore - .50 cal​

4. AirForce Texan LSS, Carbon-Fiber Tank - .50 calhttps://www.airgundepot.com/airforce-texan-lss-with-carbon-fiber-tank-50-caliber-air-rifle.html

Sounds like a fun day hopefully someone in your area will reply

Reactions: buzzman
I have powerful big bore air guns that I purchased and never used. Never even filled them up with air. I bought a carbon fiber tank, that I never even opened from the box as well as a Chinese compressor from Ebay. I also bought a nice aluminum dessicant that attaches to the compressor to prevent liquid from building up in the tank. I also bought high powerful scopes for all my guns. I was all set to go.

Then before I got the chance to start setting things up, I saw a video on Youtube where somebody really hurt themselves with one of these guns when working on them. A part went through their leg from one side and came out the other like a real bullet. WTF. They got lucky it was only their leg and not through a essential organ.

I then read horror stories of these high power compressors blowing up with shrapnel flying around, and the dessicant blowing up and causing similar dangers. Since then I have not touched my guns. They are in their cases and never been used. I'm going to post them for sale here when I am granted access (I'm a new user).

Has anybody had any scary moments with their pcp air guns? I'm terrified that a malfunction can happen since these are really powerful rifles/machines. For me it's not worth the potential risk when I have a young son who will eventually want to get into air guns as well.
Education! Safety first! Get a mentor!

Reactions: baranjhn
This is one of the craziest stories that I have heard. Seriously, you thought that airguns would be fun so you spent over 6k on them but haven't fired one because they scare you? Maybe get a cheap .177 springer and start shooting at targets. Once you are comfortable with that then start using the others.
Beer,
Was thinking same thing, we've had a couple of similar threads lately, 3-4 guns (including big bores) possibly heading to Classifieds with CF tanks and compressors. Anxiety, 5th wheel camping and now, fear, are reasons given, seems odd. WM

My advice to you is to take up knitting or bingo. I dont think anyone who has these type fears need to be messing with this sport/hobby. Best wishes unloading your equipment.
"I was carrying the bag with the two needles in my right hand ... and tripped on the first step and sort of fell on my chest, on her porch," said Klor. "And I stood up and felt more or less OK, but I noticed that I had a pain in my chest whenever I took a breath."

Klor picked up her bags and went inside her friend's home. Before long the pain in her chest became impossible to ignore.

"I put everything down and lifted up my sweater and my shirt and looked down and saw this broken knitting needle sticking out of my chest," Klor said. "And someone said, 'should we pull it out?' And I said, 'no, call 911.'

Nothing is safe! Don't get me started on Bingo brawls.

My advice to you is to take up knitting or bingo. I dont think anyone who has these type fears need to be messing with this sport/hobby. Best wishes unloading your equipment.
Knitting or bingo never crossed my mind. Since they are the first two things that popped into your mind, maybe you have some background in it. Would love some information on how to get started. I can knit you a sweater, maybe with even a rainbow on it. Let me know if you are interested!

• Haha
Reactions: Ricochet
"I was carrying the bag with the two needles in my right hand ... and tripped on the first step and sort of fell on my chest, on her porch," said Klor. "And I stood up and felt more or less OK, but I noticed that I had a pain in my chest whenever I took a breath."

Klor picked up her bags and went inside her friend's home. Before long the pain in her chest became impossible to ignore.

"I put everything down and lifted up my sweater and my shirt and looked down and saw this broken knitting needle sticking out of my chest," Klor said. "And someone said, 'should we pull it out?' And I said, 'no, call 911.'

Nothing is safe! Don't get me started on Bingo brawls.
It sounds like you went through a traumatic experience Klor. I’m sorry you became a knitting gone wrong statistic. It happens to the best of us.

Beer,
Was thinking same thing, we've had a couple of similar threads lately, 3-4 guns (including big bores) possibly heading to Classifieds with CF tanks and compressors. Anxiety, 5th wheel camping and now, fear, are reasons given, seems odd. WM
I'll bet they are afraid of a cold, wear a mask, get shots, lock themselves up, quiver in a corner, don't see a soul and...they get the cold anyway. I will admit that I'm not a fan of heights, BUT I don't mind flying a light plane, go figure. A healthy respect for things that can hurt you is good, fear isn't good but all we hear on the news is fear fear fear, most is baseless nonsense or way overhyped.

It sounds like you went through a traumatic experience Klor. I’m sorry you became a knitting gone wrong statistic. It happens to the best of us.
First of all I was quoting a story about a knitting accident, I'm not Klor. Passive aggressive comments wont get you very far on this board. I was one of the few people that saw your first post that was deleted because you violated the forums rules and I know you are just trying to get your ten posts in to sell your guns if you actually have them. When I read your deleted for sale post in the General Discussion forum section my first thought was that you are a scammer because your story seems implausible but in todays world a whole lot does so I gave you the benefit of a doubt.

Last edited:
First of all I was quoting a story about a knitting accident, I'm not Klor. Passive aggressive comments wont get you very far on this board. I was one of the few people that saw your first post that was deleted because you violated the forums rules and I know you are just trying to get your ten posts in to sell your guns if you actually have them. When I read your deleted for sale post in the General forum section my first thought was that you are a scammer because your story seems implausible but in todays world a whole lot does so I gave you the benefit of a doubt.
Imagine having a legitimate concern about the safety of something which contributed to your decision of selling something, and then being stereotyped into a being a person of fear of all things, being suggested to take up kitting, bingo, sewing, etc, because if you are concerned about the safety of one thing then you must concerned about the safety of all things right? And not only that, then being denounced to most likely being one of people who fear the cold, lol. Try taking a walk through the diagnosed with cancer park when you have your first child on the way, and if you do make it to the other side, then come talk to me about fear.

Last edited:
Imagine having a legitimate concern about the safety of something which contributed to your decision of selling something, and then being stereotyped into a being a person of fear of all things, being suggested to take up kitting, bingo, sewing, etc, because if you are concerned about the safety of one thing then you must concerned about the safety of all things right? And not only that, then being denounced to most likely being one of people who fear the cold, lol. Trying taking a walk through the diagnosed with cancer park when you have your first child on the way, and if you do make it to the other side, then come talk to me about fear.
Yesterday in your for sale post that violated the boards rules and got deleted you said that your child was four years old and you didn't have time for air guns because of that, at least that was one of the reason that you mentioned. That's the thing about lying, you have to remember the lie and the truth so you have to remember twice as much. At this point I wouldn't buy a one cent gumball from you if it had free shipping and a ten dollar rebate.

Last edited:
Yesterday in your for sale post that violated the boards rules and got deleted you said that your child was four years old and you didn't have time for air guns because of that, at least that was one of the reason that you mentioned. That's the thing about lying, you have to remember the lie and the truth so you have to remember twice as much. At this point I wouldn't buy a one cent gumball from you if it had free shipping and a ten dollar rebate.

What does my son being 4 years old have to do with anything? So because my son is four years old, he takes up all my time, and I put down my air gun hobby because of several factors, one being safety, the other being time, and the other is I don’t have anybody around to go shooting with, so they means I’m lying? Lol. I wouldnt sell you anything. Even if I did continue with selling them, I will not sell them to you. Maybe I’ll take picture of all them and put them onhere just for poopz and giggles.