Affordable reliable compressor that the air gun market would embrace

I think a re-make of something similar to the F10 with its history could sell for $500-$600. For those of us that aren't in the big hurry to fill a tank and having that reliability that the Shoebox's have I think they would sell. I know some of us have recently slowed down our F10's which I think was a great modification.
It just seemed like that little engine that could was about to leave the tracks, which mine did a couple of times. Reminds me I need to go run mine. Thanks for the nudge, Steve.

Reactions: Humdinger
Didn't the Shoebox Guy sell the design to NASA?
I seem to recall that but can't find where I seen that.
i have read that Tom built them for NASA to use on the shuttle....if thats true or not,
i have no clue.
but, i have a fine F10 thats maybe 3 years old with 50hrs on it.
it gets used the most during family get together for pest critter season.....like beginning now !! (y)

I hope it's better than the GX CS3 I purchased in '21!

1.0 out of 5 stars - Junk
Reviewed in the United States on March 30, 2021

Verified Purchase
I bought it in February, and it leaked oil and grease from the moisture tube after only three months. Stay away from this product! Furthermore, when I sought a refund, Amazon charged me an $80.00 restocking fee. I am not a satisfied customer!
Purchased from Amazon.
i tried the CS3 just to fill guns only for 35hrs then, i filled a few 300bar guns with it, it layed down hard on me.... :cautious:

@JTS

Travis, just an idea to investigate. You seem to be more willing than many to consider the "wants" of the consumer side of the industry. You've got the contacts....I'd be interested in seeing what your people on the other side of the Pacific could do in the way of pricing, while retaining the high quality build of the original. Long term parts availability would be a huge plus as well.

I'd love to see an American made Shoebox redux, but due to inflation and the way mandatory minimum wage is climbing, I doubt many would be willing to pay the "Made in America" price.
You make it affordable buy making it in china and putting it in a made in USA retail box . That way you made it cheap and added good markup for profits cause folks see that the box has made in USA on it part inside don't .... 😉

G0d bless America ..👍

Reactions: beerthief
I used my Omega trail charger to fill (from empty ) USFT #233 @ 1550 psi took 2 minutes and 14 seconds . Again exactly what the compressor was designed to do . Omega trail charge going on 3 years old .
Maybe when YH said "can fill tanks " they meant gun tanks /bottles ? Maybe misinterpreted in the translation ?

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
I used my Omega trail charger to fill (from empty ) USFT #233 @ 1550 psi took 2 minutes and 14 seconds . Again exactly what the compressor was designed to do . Omega trail charge going on 3 years old .
Maybe when YH said "can fill tanks " they meant gun tanks /bottles ? Maybe misinterpreted in the translation ?
The up to .06L.. After brief cool down times.. 🥴

After reading this thread, I’m sure glad I bought my Altaros back in 2016. As good now as it was new and I’ve had to do nothing to it.

Had I had the fiscal resources and foresight... correction- the fiscal resources decades ago to invest $3000+, I'd have saved not only some money, but IMMENSE time😡, frustration😤, aggravation🤬 and (obviously) psychological damage😵‍💫 by doing so.

Had I had the fiscal resources and foresight... correction- the fiscal resources decades ago to invest $3000+, I'd have saved not only some money, but IMMENSE time😡, frustration😤, aggravation🤬 and (obviously) psychological damage😵‍💫 by doing so.

Your profile says you live in TX, if that is the eastern part of TX and you lived there decades ago, you could have bought a good condition real scuba compressor for no more than 1500(probably a whole lot less), not 3000+. Neighbor two houses down when I lived in Dallas in the early 70's was ecstatic when he bought his compressor for diving and no longer had to fill at a dive shop. Way back then he bought a bauer new for under 1500, of course back then 1500 was a lot of money. He looked used at the time and just didn't want to take a chance, even though it would have saved him 50% at least. I know this because his son and I were best friends and we did some shallow diving with his dad a half dozen or so times every summer.

Your profile says you live in TX, if that is the eastern part of TX and you lived there decades ago, you could have bought a good condition real scuba compressor for no more than 1500(probably a whole lot less), not 3000+. Neighbor two houses down when I lived in Dallas in the early 70's was ecstatic when he bought his compressor for diving and no longer had to fill at a dive shop. Way back then he bought a bauer new for under 1500, of course back then 1500 was a lot of money. He looked used at the time and just didn't want to take a chance, even though it would have saved him 50% at least. I know this because his son and I were best friends and we did some shallow diving with his dad a half dozen or so times every summer.

Yes, I'm in Texas. But having lived in east Dallas (White Rock), no longer venture east of I-35! 😂

before Shoebox went out of business they lowered the price of the F10 to $500. That’s what I paid for mine. I thought it was the safe bet as they were USA made, spare parts, plenty of rebuild videos on YouTube. It works fine. everyone Just had to go buy the cheap Chinese crap and put an American company out of business. Thanks.
Maybe shouda dropped to 200 or 300$ to match china and tried to stay going ? 😜

I’m in east Texas and bought my Bauer Purus not decades ago, but in 2017. Paid not $1500, but $600. 😁

Reactions: cavedweller
My first two PCP compressors being Shoeboxes, can't say I agree they required very little maintenance unless you don't consider regular rebuilds to be maintenance. I don't miss them.

Neither have I had good service from a couple $2000 Italian units. Between the two, about a year and a half of service despite coddling them. I got that much service from a $250 Chinese compressor.

Now on my sixth and seventh PCP compressors despite the fact I've babied and coddled every prematurely-deceased one, I'm afraid of jinxing myself by stating that SO FAR numbers 6 and 7 are still running. Number 7 ($550 Chinese) is showing great performance and promise, but I've become too gun-shy to name names or recommend any PCP compressor, to anyone, any time.

However I will say two cheap Chinese compressors have given much better service per dollar than the American, British and (especially) Italian units. 🤬

Imagine all that compressor money spent towards one Bauer or one Alkin 🤩