Affordable reliable compressor that the air gun market would embrace

The least complicated and easiest to maintain air compressor was the Shoebox. It was made in the U.S. but was relatively expensive. It was manufactured on such a small scale that it was impossible to compete with the Chinese imports that drove Shoebox out of business. If a larger manufacturer anywhere would manufacture an updated Shoebox F10 for around $350 it would sell like hotcakes. It could easily be done by a large scale manufacturer due to its simplicity.

Before anyone says that Altaros already does I would point out two significant differences. The price of an Altaros is high for it's lack of complexity. It uses over half of the air from the booster compressor just to power the drive piston before that air is dumped through a vent. The genius of the Shoebox was that it used a premium quality 1/3 HP motor instead of a booster compressor to drive its pistons. All of the air from the booster compressor is compressed by the Shoebox so a booster compressor cycles on less than half of time required to operate an Altaros. The Shoebox required much less compressor capacity and output from a booster compressor than does the Altaros.

The Shoebox was the little compressor engine that could. The F10 compressed 10 cubic feet of air per hour to 310 bar which means it could top off a 9 liter SCBA tank in 3.5 hours. It didn't require constant monitoring so it could serve anyone other than a power user who filled tanks more than twice a week. The beauty of the Shoebox was it required very little maintenance and it was easy to service by an owner with minimal mechanical ability.

An updated Shoebox should include an intake moisture filter built in to the design. The Shoebox compressed so gradually that cool down air loss was never a problem. The design was ahead of its time but needs to be manufactured on a larger scale so the price can compete with less reliable designs that aren't nearly as durable. I think many buyers today would welcome reliability and durability from a booster compressor like an updated Shoebox if it was available for $350 or less.

Last edited:
@JTS

Travis, just an idea to investigate. You seem to be more willing than many to consider the "wants" of the consumer side of the industry. You've got the contacts....I'd be interested in seeing what your people on the other side of the Pacific could do in the way of pricing, while retaining the high quality build of the original. Long term parts availability would be a huge plus as well.

I'd love to see an American made Shoebox redux, but due to inflation and the way mandatory minimum wage is climbing, I doubt many would be willing to pay the "Made in America" price.

I'm rather nonplussed that we haven't seen an import "Shoebox" already. Is it the speed? I know it's fine, but a newb reading online discussions might dismiss it out of hand if it's not as fast as <whatever>. There's always some mention of speed in compressor discussions (I'm guilty of this as well). Is it patents? Perhaps the owner is holding out for more (or perhaps 'something' is too much...). No, it's probably competition. You can get a YH for less than $350, and there are some others that are even less expensive. Perhaps less good, but people looking for compressors are likely going to go 'all in' (assuming that cheap = bad) or shop by price (assuming compressors are fungible, so the cheapest is the best).

GsT

The best simple but easy to maintain PCP compressor was the Shoebox series. It was made in the U.S. but was relatively expensive. It was manufactured on such a small scale that it was impossible to compete with the Chinese imports that drove Shoebox out of business. If a larger manufacturer anywhere would manufacture an updated Shoebox F10 for around $350 it would sell like hotcakes. It could easily be done by a large scale manufacturer due to its simplicity.

Before anyone says that Altaros already does I would point out two significant differences. The price of an Altaros is high for it's lack of complexity. It uses over half of the air from the booster compressor just to power the drive piston before that air is dumped through a vent. The greatness of the Shoebox was that it used a premium quality 1/3 HP motor instead of a booster compressor to drive its pistons. All of the air from the booster compressor is used for compression so a booster compressor cycles on less than half it would with an Altaros. The Shoebox required much less compressor capacity and output from a booster compressor than does the Altaros.

The Shoebox was the little engine that could. The F10 compressed 10 cubic feet of air per hour to 310 bar which means it could top off a 9 liter SCBA tank in 3.5 hours. It didn't require constant monitoring so it could serve anyone other than a power user who filled tanks more than twice a week. The beauty of the Shoebox was it required very little maintenance and it was easy to service by an owner with minimal mechanical ability.

An updated Shoebox should include an intake filter already built in to the design. The Shoebox filled so gradually that cool down air loss was never an issue. The design was ahead of its time but needs to be manufactured on a larger scale so the price can compete with less reliable designs that aren't nearly as durable. I think many buyers today would welcome reliability and durability from a booster compressor like an updated Shoebox if it was available for $350 or less.

Last edited:
I would be willing to pay $400 for such a compressor. Currently, the only brand that somewhat meets these criteria is the Tuxing model TXEDO11, although it has mixed reviews. It's advisable to avoid the TXEDT31 model, as it failed within three months. The market lacks a mid-priced option, leaving most of us to purchase lower-cost compressors because we cannot afford the $3000+ price tag for a reliable one. I understand your point. I own two Tuxing TXEDO11 models; the first has been performing well for three years, and the second was recently purchased to replace the TXDT31. It appears that this model, being simpler, is the better choice.

IMG_20240416_183540041.jpg

Last edited:
I would just want a compressor that isnt a hobby in itself with modifications and such just to keep it running.
I was fortunate enough to get one from Jim Shelden when he had the Kidd models and it's been rock solid for me for several years. If it ever does die, I'll likely go with an Alkin or similar and that should do me until I'm worm food.

My first two PCP compressors being Shoeboxes, can't say I agree they required very little maintenance unless you don't consider regular rebuilds to be maintenance. I don't miss them.

Neither have I had good service from a couple $2000 Italian units. Between the two, about a year and a half of service despite coddling them. I got that much service from a $250 Chinese compressor.

Now on my sixth and seventh PCP compressors despite the fact I've babied and coddled every prematurely-deceased one, I'm afraid of jinxing myself by stating that SO FAR numbers 6 and 7 are still running. Number 7 ($550 Chinese) is showing great performance and promise, but I've become too gun-shy to name names or recommend any PCP compressor, to anyone, any time.

However I will say two cheap Chinese compressors have given much better service per dollar than the American, British and (especially) Italian units. 🤬

Last edited:
I'm rather nonplussed that we haven't seen an import "Shoebox" already. Is it the speed? I know it's fine, but a newb reading online discussions might dismiss it out of hand if it's not as fast as <whatever>. There's always some mention of speed in compressor discussions (I'm guilty of this as well). Is it patents? Perhaps the owner is holding out for more (or perhaps 'something' is too much...). No, it's probably competition. You can get a YH for less than $350, and there are some others that are even less expensive. Perhaps less good, but people looking for compressors are likely going to go 'all in' (assuming that cheap = bad) or shop by price (assuming compressors are fungible, so the cheapest is the best).

GsT
It's sad that newbs consider fill speed more important than durability. What I liked about the Shoebox was the ease of setup for a fill and lack of maintenance. When the F10 reached $1,100 it was no longer competitive in the marketplace. There isn't much inside of a Shoebox. A large manufacturer could produce enough units to bring the cost to an affordable level. It probably would need to be built in China for reasons previously stated.

Last edited:
A CS4 compressor and a rated 11 L per minute. I bit and bought one when it was on sale for $477 to the door. But the verdict isn't in on how reliable it is and I have no idea how difficult it is to rebuild. In best case it's easy to rebuild engineered well enough that only O-rings and seals need to be replaced occasionally then it would be a great buy but no one knows for sure because not enough time on them. I do like that they're small pretty quiet can be operated for 4 or 5 hours and can be powered by car batteries as well.

I am not endorsing a recommending the product since I don't have enough operating time on it to tell how long it will last. And even if I did a sample size of one is meaningless

Reactions: Humdinger
A CS4 compressor and a rated 11 L per minute. I bit and bought one when it was on sale for $477 to the door. But the verdict isn't in on how reliable it is and I have no idea how difficult it is to rebuild. In best case it's easy to rebuild engineered well enough that only O-rings and seals need to be replaced occasionally then it would be a great buy but no one knows for sure because not enough time on them. I do like that they're small pretty quiet can be operated for 4 or 5 hours and can be powered by car batteries as well.

I am not endorsing a recommending the product since I don't have enough operating time on it to tell how long it will last. And even if I did a sample size of one is meaningless
The GX CS4 and CS4-I seem to be the best option for now in terms of affordable and vaule. I've never been an Omega compressor fan because of their cost versus their performance. If the CS4s do turn out to be durable and reliable in the long term then they would meet the criteria of what I want in an affordable but reliable compressor. I never liked the amount of teardown and small parts involved to rebuild the pistons in the Omega's. I don't know if the GX has reduced the amount of teardown for a rebuild or not. Time will tell about longevity and factory support. There was nothing on a Shoebox that was beyond the skill level of mechanically average owners to fix.

Reactions: beerthief
I would love to find a shoebox original . I do have an Omega trail charger going on 3 years now but i only use it to top off tube guns runs maybe 2 minutes never even gets hot . Exactly what it was designed to do .
If you buy a Shoebox, make sure it's either the F8 or F10 version. The first generation Shoebox had a chain drive that was very noisy and was super slow filling. The second generation was called the Shoebox Max. It replaced the chain with a belt but it still had a primitive shutoff that had a clackety-clack sound from a primitive shutoff switch. The 3rd. generation F8 included a much improved electronic pressure switch that was owner adjustable and eliminated the clackety-clack sound. It also had an improved lubrication system for the pistons which required less owner attention on a long fill session.

The GX CS4 and CS4-I seem to be the best option for now in terms of affordable and vaule. I've never been an Omega compressor fan because of their cost versus their performance. If the CS4s do turn out to be durable and reliable in the long term then they would meet the criteria of what I want in an affordable but reliable compressor. I never liked the amount of teardown and small parts involved to rebuild the pistons in the Omega's. I don't know if the GX has reduced the amount of teardown for a rebuild or not. Time will tell about longevity and factory support. There was nothing on a Shoebox that was beyond the skill level of mechanically average owners to fix.
I hope it's better than the GX CS3 I purchased in '21!

1.0 out of 5 stars - Junk
Reviewed in the United States on March 30, 2021

Verified Purchase
I bought it in February, and it leaked oil and grease from the moisture tube after only three months. Stay away from this product! Furthermore, when I sought a refund, Amazon charged me an $80.00 restocking fee. I am not a satisfied customer!
Purchased from Amazon.

I agree with the Shoebox F-8 or 10 as being the best option.
It a true shame that the Shoebox is no longer made, I enjoy using mine and have extra parts in case needed to keep it running.
Maintenance is simple, running is simple, it's a simple design that simply works!
OCO Labs does in fact still handle some of the needed parts, but nowhere near all of them.
.I have been working toward locating parts that might be available through Grainger or McMaster-Carr and assembling a list of those parts to make repairs as they arise. I figured that once I found what I can, I will put it up on AGN to see if there are any additions by the good folks here and add to the spreadsheet for all to use.
Can't promise when it'll be complete, but it is in the works.

Mike

My first two PCP compressors being Shoeboxes, can't say I agree they required very little maintenance unless you don't consider regular rebuilds maintenance. I don't miss them.

Neither have I had good service from a couple $2000 Italian units. Between the two, about a year and a half of service despite coddling them. I got that much service from a $250 Chinese compressor.

Now on my sixth and seventh PCP compressors despite the fact I've babied and coddled every prematurely-deceased one, I'm afraid of jinxing myself by stating that SO FAR numbers 6 and 7 are still running. Number 7 ($550 Chinese) is showing great performance and promise, but I've become too gun-shy to name names or recommend any PCP compressor, to anyone, any time.

However I will say two cheap Chinese compressors have given much better service per dollar than the American, British and (especially) Italian units.
That is why I did not buy a compressor yet. All I see is how they all need to be repaired and replaced all the time. If I have to spend that much money to keep my PCPs filled, I'd rather stop shooting PCP. Handpump for me all the way. Just this week I serviced a guy's 20 year old handpump, all it needed was a few O-rings costing about $1.50

That is why I did not buy a compressor yet. All I see is how they all need to be repaired and replaced all the time. If I have to spend that much money to keep my PCPs filled, I'd rather stop shooting PCP. Handpump for me all the way. Just this week I serviced a guy's 20 year old handpump, all it needed was a few O-rings costing about $1.50
I'm 75 so a handpump would not be an option for me. Remember that a compressor forum will share more breakdown stories because owners want to get advice on repairs or chime in if they've experienced the same failures. Shoeboxes were slow filling but they were extremely reliable and easy to maintain.

In the past 24 years I've owned and traded up to my seventh and last compressor. During that time I've only had one breakdown and it was fixed under warranty by the manufacturer. I learned a lot by servicing my own equipment and most problems were minor like external leaks which are easy to repair. Add up the time and expense saved by eliminating trips to a dive shop, plus savings of dive shop inspection fees, owning compressors was the best accessory a PCP owner could have. It takes a dedicated low volume shooter to be satisfied with a hand pump. My hat's off to you for your dedication and physical fitness.

Last edited:
I'm 75 so a handpump would not be an option for me. Remember that a compressor forum will share more breakdown stories because owners want to get advice on repairs or chime in if they've experienced the same failures. Shoeboxes were slow filling but they were extremely reliable and easy to maintain.

In the past 24 years I've owned and traded up to my seventh and last compressor. During that time I've only had one motor failure and it was fixed under warranty by the manufacturer. I learned a lot just by servicing my own equipment and most problems pertained to external leaks which are easy to repair. If I add up the time saved by eliminating trips to a dive shop, plus savings on extraneous dive shop inspection fees, owning compressors was the best PCP accessory a PCP owner could have. It takes a dedicated low volume shooter to be satisfied with a hand pump. My hat's off to you for your dedication and physical fitness.
The guy I serviced the handpump for is 72. OK, he has only one PCP but shoot it a lot. I saw him pumping, from 100 bar to 200 bar with no breaks in-between and that was before the pump was serviced.
Myself, I am still a youngster at 61. Yesterday I serviced another guy's PCP and had to fill it from empty to full three times with the handpump, not a problem but I do take breaks every 50 pumps to cool down the pump.

Last edited: