AEAC's video review of the Gamo Urban .22

OleveyHi Steve,

Where you affected by the new YouTube policy concerning channels with guns and advertising monetization? Seems like some policy like that would be the main concern for derailing your efforts.

Yes, we all have been. For me it's not been as bad though on account of the solid group of sponsors behind AEAC, but I have lost most all the revenue coming in from YouTube. What was averaging $9 a day is now averaging $1.

"Olevey"Hey Steve,

As usual a comprehensive, interesting and unbiased review. My only suggestion is to bring back the decibel reader. Not sure who you were addressing when you said it confuses us. The dual microphone setup was cool but I like to know the decibel level from each gun so ideally you could have both the dual mic and decibel readings. I think the confusion you are referring to probably stems from the Puncher Breaker review where your decibel meter appeared broken or placed incorrectly. (I think it was the PB review anyway). Aside from that awesome review this hobby is better having you involved.
Here's the thing, Steve's old sound pressure meter was not fast-acting enough to register the impulse-type sound from a gun. So it was missing the first part of the shot, and the readings were low.

To get a meter that is fast enough to capture that impulse would be VERY expensive.

So he's doing a dual-mic setup to try to better represent how it actually sounds. A video camera's meter is also not fast enough, so I think it's a moot point. Just like if he points his camera into the sun, we're not going to be blinded watching the video*, because the camera can't register as much light as is actually there.

Another analogy: Ever tried to measure a changing voltage with an old digital multimeter? I wasn't fast enough to see trends, so it took awhile for digital multimeters awhile to take off. Fluke had to come up with an analog bar graph that reacted 10X faster than the LCD digits, so that it could truly replace an analog multimeter.

* but he might, if his camera has an optical viewfinder!

Noise, eyewitness opinion from an expert is really all I need. The Gamo Urban is claimed to be mouse fart quiet and it is. It should be quiet, it has modest power and an engineered LDC.

Dont need no stinking decibel meter!

How to tell if a rifle is going to be pretty quiet:

177s are the quietest.
22s aren't bad.
25 use more air and make more noise.
Is it high powered for its caliber? It will make more noise. Fer-instance, the Urban only makes about 22fpe whereas many 22cal rilfes make30-35fpe, because the urban makes less power it will be relatively quiet when compared to other 22s.
Has the manufacture installed a quieting system such as a shroud or mod? If so this gun should be pretty quiet.
Unshroud Korean high powered rifles are loud as are their ilk, like AirForce heavy hitters.
Expert eyewitness opinion: What does Steve say? Or Matt?
FX rifles like Streamline: They have a modest shroud and these bark a bit on high power, however, on the medium and low settings they are very quiet.
Carbine sized rifles, like a S510 carbine have a short shroud that helps but it still barks on high, turn the knob down a bit for quieter operation, this is what I do when the Clauger is in the drawer. It's very quiet with the clauger.
Word of mouth from other hobbyist.`
Airguns are going to make a bit of noise, make sure you are using them in sensible ways in accordance with the rules.

I'm not around mice much and have never heard one fart, I assuming it makes a quiet noise when farting. My kids a cat that farts, but I've haven't heard that either, but it reportedly stinks.

I just ordered one of these. Will be my first air rifle (have a couple of pistols) and my first pcp. Getting a hand pump too. I need the exercise.....LOL!

I have a question that will affect long term usability for me. I see that there are no sling stud holes. As the stock is hollow plastic, I'm not sure that it will support studs if I just drill them and screw them in. Anyone have any thoughts? Lot easier to haul it around in the woods with a sling....Not to mention that I might want to put a bipod on at some point.

"Mattblum"I just ordered one of these. Will be my first air rifle (have a couple of pistols) and my first pcp. Getting a hand pump too. I need the exercise.....LOL!

I have a question that will affect long term usability for me. I see that there are no sling stud holes. As the stock is hollow plastic, I'm not sure that it will support studs if I just drill them and screw them in. Anyone have any thoughts? Lot easier to haul it around in the woods with a sling....Not to mention that I might want to put a bipod on at some point.
I mounted a picatinny rail on mine used the screws it came with. See no reason why you would not be able to mount sling studs in the stock. 

Coming back to this thread months later. The price is down another $100 from when it was released.

Eutzler's Urban was shooting at 29 FPE, I wonder if they tuned it up since it was released.

I've got two nice .22 PCPs now, but I'm tempted by this one anyway. I like my Compatto so much because of its great balance, and this seems to have the same thing. I also had a Coyote, and the action was excellent. (except the trigger was just OK, [creepy] as Steve pointed out) The pistol grip canted the hand uncomfortably forward, for any kind of rested shooting. The Urban won't have that problem.

One thing I'd like to see them do more of, instead of making hollow buttstocks is to engineer the stock a little more. If it's going to be hollow, how about molding a storage compartment in there? Or clip-in points for spare mags, like some of the bullpups have. (Cricket? Vulcan? Kral.) It's a missed opportunity. It would have only taken an enginer a few more hours and an aggregate amount of people would benefit from it. Include the sling swivel studs and pre-drilled holes.

Steve, did you happen to take the action out and see if it is easily possible to adjust the hammer spring tension? I don't really want another 30 FPE .22. 20-25 is just perfect.

"intenseaty22"I impulse bought one of these as a spare gun for under $280. Returned it the next day. Was a POS (to me) that I would have not paid $100 for had I known. But some folk love them so....
What about the urban that was a pos?each to their own. I find the urban extremely accurate 8 shots inside a dime @50 for a gun as you say under $280. Not bad at all😎