AEAC Vlog14 - Air Arms s510 xs (regulated)

I purchased the S510 XS in .22 caliber, and it is an awesome air rifle. The rifle is extremely accurate, and it is just as beautiful as it is accurate. I debated if I wanted the .22 caliber or the .25 caliber. Just like you mentioned Steve, the barrel is very forgiving. I shoot Air Arms Diablo pellets, JSB Diablo, JSB Ultra Shock, H&N Barracuda Hunter Extreme, H&N Terminator, H&N Crow Magnum, Predator Polymag Shorts that work just fine in the magazine, H&N Pile Driver, and they are shoot extremely accurate. Hole in hole consistently. Indoors, I have shot several of these pellets over a razor blade, and been able to cut the pellets in half, time after time. I have some cool video of it. I have shot 10" card stock in half with one shot multiple times indoors. I am going to try to shoot these same targets outside up to 80 yards and beyond in my sisters properties. The gun is all around a solid performer. I love it. I have been able to get 35 full power shots out of this air rifle before it finally dropped on the chronograph by about 20 fps. It was still shooting strong enough to finish the last magazine up to 40 shots. I received my S510 XS the second week of last December. I been waiting since last May, and it has been well worth the wait. I was wondering if I would like or dislike the safety on the trigger, and I have to honestly say that I actually like it. I know some people can't stand it. I put an Athlon 6 - 24 X 50mm objective that is first focal plane, and combined with the S510 it is a tact driver. The gun is easy to load, cock, and shoot. My wife also enjoys shooting it. Air Arms did very well with this rifle, and I been waiting for the regulated version. This is my first PCP air rifle, and I wanted to purchase a high quality rifle. I have a Beeman R1 Magnum, and that is an awesome Spring Piston air rifle. The only gripe that I have, is that it doesn't have an anti-double feed, and doesn't come with a single shot tray. I honestly enjoy all of the other features of the rifle. My fill source is the Air Venturi Nomad II, and it fills the rifle up fast, and their proprietary fitting doesn't bother me at all, and the gun is pretty quiet. I shoot this rifle all the time inside my condo into the Air Venturi pellet trap that has the ballistic putty and steel plate inside the target to stop the pellets. All in all this air rifle is everything you can expect from Air Arms and more. Awesome video as always Steve. Thanks for the review and informative insight., as it is appreciated. 

Hey folks, I got a note from Air Arms this morning touching on my suspicions of them polishing their barrels;

----------

Firstly, it must be said that all Lothar Walther barrels are not made equal.

1. The Lothar barrels that we use are produced to our own specification that achieves barrel to barrel consistency. In this instance the process that I refer to is for all our PCP barrels. Barrels used on our spring rifles follow a different process.

2. We receive them from Lothar in what we call the 'raw', ie no processes have been applied.

3. Out of every consignment that we receive, we take a % of each delivery and we put them through an in-depth cleaning process. So in answer to your statement about the barrel being polished, it actually isn't.

4. We then test each barrel for accuracy and consistency over 25 meters. If the tests are successful and meet with our own required parameters, then and only then do we continue to process the complete delivery / batch.

5. Our barrels are then sent to be finished and then chemically blacked. A 6 stage chemical blacking process is applied which includes and intensive cleaning process.

6. We then receive the barrels back at AA HQ . We fit the barrel seal carrier and then the barrel is ready to be fitted in to a rifle. Following the build, each and every PCP / barrel has 2 full fills of air put through it and again is tested for accuracy and consistency before being signed off, ready to be packed for dispatch.

Hope this helps and has given you a little more insight as to what we get up to here.

Cheers!

I purchased the S510 XS in .22 caliber, and it is an awesome air rifle. The rifle is extremely accurate, and it is just as beautiful as it is accurate. I debated if I wanted the .22 caliber or the .25 caliber. Just like you mentioned Steve, the barrel is very forgiving. I shoot Air Arms Diablo pellets, JSB Diablo, JSB Ultra Shock, H&N Barracuda Hunter Extreme, H&N Terminator, H&N Crow Magnum, Predator Polymag Shorts that work just fine in the magazine, H&N Pile Driver, and they are shoot extremely accurate. Hole in hole consistently. Indoors, I have shot several of these pellets over a razor blade, and been able to cut the pellets in half, time after time. I have some cool video of it. I have shot 10" card stock in half with one shot multiple times indoors. I am going to try to shoot these same targets outside up to 80 yards and beyond in my sisters properties. The gun is all around a solid performer. I love it. I have been able to get 35 full power shots out of this air rifle before it finally dropped on the chronograph by about 20 fps. It was still shooting strong enough to finish the last magazine up to 40 shots. I received my S510 XS the second week of last December. I been waiting since last May, and it has been well worth the wait. I was wondering if I would like or dislike the safety on the trigger, and I have to honestly say that I actually like it. I know some people can't stand it. I put an Athlon 6 - 24 X 50mm objective that is first focal plane, and combined with the S510 it is a tact driver. The gun is easy to load, cock, and shoot. My wife also enjoys shooting it. Air Arms did very well with this rifle, and I been waiting for the regulated version. This is my first PCP air rifle, and I wanted to purchase a high quality rifle. I have a Beeman R1 Magnum, and that is an awesome Spring Piston air rifle. The only gripe that I have, is that it doesn't have an anti-double feed, and doesn't come with a single shot tray. I honestly enjoy all of the other features of the rifle. My fill source is the Air Venturi Nomad II, and it fills the rifle up fast, and their proprietary fitting doesn't bother me at all, and the gun is pretty quiet. I shoot this rifle all the time inside my condo into the Air Venturi pellet trap that has the ballistic putty and steel plate inside the target to stop the pellets. All in all this air rifle is everything you can expect from Air Arms and more. Awesome video as always Steve. Thanks for the review and informative insight., as it is appreciated.

Hello rspangel,

May I ask how your new AA rifle does with the .22 H&N Piledrivers? I want a rifle with a barrel like this, able to shoot a wide variety which seems to possibly include slug type piledrivers. I figure they have to be moving at 800fps at least to have a worthwhile trajectory or make use of the heavier weight. 

Sorry to break this news to you, but no spring gun has an anti double feed system. LOL, just Kidding but it came right after your sentences of "awesome spring piston air rifle." & "The only gripe that I have." Again, JK'd but great honest owner review. I had an Air Arms long ago and loved the build quality. Disliked the under powered performance during my magnumitis stage. That's been acting up again. 

Hello James,

The Anti-Double load system is the human being not accidentally shoving another pellet into the breech, LOL. I have shot the H&N Pile Driver and it shot very accurate. This was indoors as the weather hasn't been cooperating this winter. The penetration was pretty impressive when I shot a phone book at 10 yards. If my memory serves me correct, the Pile Driver penetrated 970'ish pages. If the weather isn't to crazy this Sunday, I will get out and shoot. We are supposed to have 20mph to 30mph winds though. I will get you some chronograph reading though. The H&N Pile Drivers also loaded into the magazine with no issues and I was able to cycle them through the rifle. You can feel that they are a tighter fit then the other pellets when you are finishing the cocking cycle and the pellet is being inserted into the breech. The gun is honestly very accurate. I can get out to 80 yards at my sisters house, and I will see what kind of groups I get. If it is to windy this Sunday, then I will try the 80 yards on another day, and yes the Beeman R1 Magnum is a very nice Spring Piston Air Rifle. It is stupid accurate. Mine is like brand new. If you are wanting to purchase the Air Arms S510 XS in either .22 or .25 caliber, you won't regret it in my opinion. I will keep an eye on the regulator in my rifle, as some other members have mentioned in here having some issues. If I have any issues with it, then it will go back to Pyramyd Air for repair. I will respond back here if I am able to get out this Sunday, or another day here soon.