Tuning AEAC Video - FX Maverick Tuning Guide + EPIC RDW !!!

Hi Steve, I dropped another comment on Instagram and can you verify your Hades tune? At 100 bar reg I’m not sure how you are achieving those speeds. I can get there at 125 -130 Bar on the reg but not 100. Can you verify?

Hi! Notice the gradually descending tail at the very end of the shot string? That's an indication of a very happy and relaxed relationship between the hammer spring tension and reg pressure. They're both relaxed and in harmony with one another. The tune and #s are good. 

Regarding the 125 bar reg you've got, I'd guess that there's to much reg pressure on the valve for it to be able to open long enough & deep enough to get enough air through without the higher hammer spring setting you're using in conjunction with it. In other words, your higher reg pressure needs more HS force to overcome and achieve the same velocity as what I got with a lower reg pressure and lower HS setting. The take away is that by reducing reg pressure to 100 bar and by reducing HS tension a lot from where you're at now, you'll be able to find the same velocity as you're at now BUT with a longer string and more relaxed components.

So how would I go about finding this yum-spot if I had your gun in hand? I'd first set the reg pressures to 125/100 using either a large WIKA or Sekhmet gauge. Then I'd back the internal micro HS tension off 6 turns (clockwise). After that, I'd fill my bottle to 210 bar ish and keep it between 160 and 210 bar throughout this test. Then, I'd shoot 5 times at the PW 4 setting as used in my chart and observe velocity. If it's low, I'd increase HS tension 1/4 turn (counterclockwise) and repeat the 5 shots. Continue this procedure again & again until your velocity matches mine at around 885 fps. Once there, begin fine tuning the internal micro HS adjuster up and down in 1/8 turn increments then less, searching for the tightest 885 ish ES over those 5 shot tests. You'll find that same low reg/hammer vein of gold as I did.

Now if for some reason you don't, it's an outdoor temperature or elevation thing. If you're cooler than the 93-95* outside temps I am at, I'd try a 130/105 bar reg and repeat. In other words if it's 80-85* where you're at or if you're at a higher elevation than the sea level I'm at here in Florida, it may take a tad (5-10 bar) more reg pressure. But it may not. I'd still start at 100.

Got it?

Steve

image033.1626123721.1626873086.png

Steve, well done and very through but you need to add 1 thing in my opinion and that is the measurement of the fine adj screw for your 0 setting so others could follow your exact tune. I would say that with this anyone could now do a pretty good job of setting up their mav.

HI Solo1. I've been trying to get people away from measuring and let the gun tell them what it wants instead. IMHO, this is a better way to find the sweet spots and make tuning fun & easy. Please see my explanation in my reply above and my explanation in the other stickied thread. Hopefully it helps ya. That's how I go about things and to me it's easier and better than measuring.

Best, Steve 

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the advice and I got the same results as you did. FX has to really appreciate the knowledge and effort you put into this vlog as I’m sure it will help many customers.

Another question does the Sekhmet provide shot to shot bar consumption. Wonder if running a lower reg and higher hammer load consumes as much air per shot as a higher reg with a lighter hammer load. Maybe negligible but just a thought. 

Again appreciate your input and Kens involvement in this vlog!

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the advice and I got the same results as you did. FX has to really appreciate the knowledge and effort you put into this vlog as I’m sure it will help many customers.

Another question does the Sekhmet provide shot to shot bar consumption. Wonder if running a lower reg and higher hammer load consumes as much air per shot as a higher reg with a lighter hammer load. Maybe negligible but just a thought. 

Again appreciate your input and Kens involvement in this vlog!

Here's everything available on the Sekhmet,

https://youtu.be/kFQqROLDwOM

Steve

Steve, nice "video continuity" having your dog stand in for you with the impromptu bunghole licking, but isn't it possible that he was adjusting his rear regulator? He must have heard you say that a time or two, I reckon. You might want to teach him to spontaneously play the harmonica when he sees you move out of frame. Great video, by the way, you made it seem fairly easy to tune if one pays attention. 

When you changed the barrel from sniper to compact you say to put the slug transfer port in the bottom. I tried it today and my speed went up 25fps. I don't have the time to fully test it but dies it improve/decrease things like shotcount and grouping? (I will test it myself if you don't know but you made me lazy with that excellent video)

Also no vp/600mm barrel testing? At the moment i compare your sniper and compact tunes and i will try to get it somewhere in between.

Now i got it shooting 34gr at 895fps using 120bar but seeing what others get for accuracy make me think i'm doing something wrong (2-3" group at 90m/98y)

When you changed the barrel from sniper to compact you say to put the slug transfer port in the bottom. I tried it today and my speed went up 25fps. I don't have the time to fully test it but dies it improve/decrease things like shotcount and grouping? (I will test it myself if you don't know but you made me lazy with that excellent video)

Also no vp/600mm barrel testing? At the moment i compare your sniper and compact tunes and i will try to get it somewhere in between.

Now i got it shooting 34gr at 895fps using 120bar but seeing what others get for accuracy make me think i'm doing something wrong (2-3" group at 90m/98y)

Hmm, the best way I could explain it is this way. Never use the single pellet port for anything with the .25. I was able to easily create excellent pellet and slug tunes for the 500mm and 700mm with the dual port. The single port would have just been a restriction, making all the components work that much harder to get there. I ran the dual port on all 12 tunes in the video, on both the 500 and the 700.

Make good sense?

Steve

If a person knew the thickness of the head of the Allen screw and the pitch of the threads couldn’t he set the length by just calculating the turns out and save the disassembly?

The best way to get there (better than measuring) is to first get set your regs set to a decent spot. You can use one of the 13 shot charts I've provided as a guide, or you can ask a buddy what they use. Remember, those regs may need 5-10 shots to settle into a final resting place after adjusting. Start them looow (70 bar for 25gr and 90 bar for 34gr). I like to hunt around in 5 bar increments. And remember, a lotta people out there massively over-regging their guns. Forcing everything to work harder (regs & valve) definitely has its place as a tuning tool but only by a little, and when you're 9/10ths of the way there.

Next, back way off the internal micro HS tension (CW) to get ya down into the 800's when on a PW setting of #7. Slowly work the velocity up (CCW on the internal HS adjuster) by a 1/4 turn at a time to bring you into the desired velocity range. From there, fine tune the IHS adjuster up and down in 1/8 turn increments (then less) to stabilize and compress the ES & SD in that range. Shoot a string. If the string has an ES closer to 20 than 10 or more importantly has an SD closer to 6 than 3, up the regs by 5 bar at a time and repeat. This will have a tendency to further stabilize your HS settings, but not always... This is why I like to start low on the regs and work them up in 5 bar increments once a decent reg/HS place is located. Finally, if you find yourself with a good chart but want a tighter SD, first try flattening those alligator teeth with a tad more or less IHS. Then try by following up with a tad more reg. You'll get there.

Also, do ALL your test work within 10 bar either side of 200 bar, cuz if you've got linear strings around 200 bar, then you'll also have them at 250 and as the gun falls off the reg. The same isn't true of beginning at 250 each time.

Also, don't be afraid to use the macro PW adjuster around #2 #3 #4 with 25gr pellets rather than back waaaay off the IHS micro adjuster to get ya down there on #7. I used #2 #3 #4 with some excellent results and it's much easier going back & forth between tunes this way too. There's no need to ever turn the internal IHS adjuster more than 3-4 turns when hunting around for sweet spots between 500mm and 700mm tunes (25gr to 40gr) if you utilize the macro power wheel properly. I'm much more in favor of that than putting it on #7 and moving the IHS a mile to get velocity down to where it works with a 25gr and the 700mm.

The above is how I do it, and you'll find those 10ish and 2ish ES & SD's every time doing it this way. It's fast, easy, repeatable, effective, and no disassembly required!

Have fun and don't be afraid to experiment by going different ways than what you've heard works well!

Steve

Reactions: TitanRebel
My Maverick which should arrive tomorrow is a 30 caliber Compact. For now I will initially be using some 48.6 gr pellets that I have just to get started but this gun will be used as a hunting gun for coyotes and hogs. I will be using Nielsen slugs when they come available probably around 50 gr. I do have a sample pack of their slugs on the way that I can test to determine what weight I will settle on. I am more interested in accuracy than power because as a hunter believe that shot placement is the most important factor.

Do you have a recommended starting point for regulator settings for my application?

Thanks

My Maverick which should arrive tomorrow is a 30 caliber Compact. For now I will initially be using some 48.6 gr pellets that I have just to get started but this gun will be used as a hunting gun for coyotes and hogs. I will be using Nielsen slugs when they come available probably around 50 gr. I do have a sample pack of their slugs on the way that I can test to determine what weight I will settle on. I am more interested in accuracy than power because as a hunter believe that shot placement is the most important factor.

Do you have a recommended starting point for regulator settings for my application?

Thanks

I would first see how they came set from the factory and record that. I have a Mav .30 VP here to play with and it came with 120/150 regs. I'd begin my testing as it arrives so long as the reg setting seems proper. Since you have the Sniper, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come with 110/140 or 105/135... or something like that. You'll need to apply what you've learned here and let the gun tell you what it wants. That's what I'd do. It's a feel around and see thing.

Steve