Air Venturi AEAC is decoding the Avenge-X in .22 caliber!

Airgun Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 24, 2020
Colorado, United States
Steve has been updating his IG account with daily findings. Figured I'd share the "Cliff Notes" here for you to enjoy.

"
⚙️
Field Report - Last week's field work told me that 930 fps is "the number" for 25.4gr JSB Monster Redesigns Pellets in 5-8 winds. 915-920 works well too (and picks ya up some efficiency) but doesn't like winds past 3-4."

a.jpeg
a1.jpeg
a2.jpeg
a3.jpeg
a4.jpeg
a5.jpeg
a6.jpeg
a8.jpeg
a9.jpeg
a10.jpeg
a11.jpeg
a12.jpeg
a13.jpeg
a14.jpeg
a15.jpeg
a16.jpeg
a17.jpeg
a18.jpeg
a19.jpeg
a20.jpeg
a21.jpeg
a22.jpeg
a23.jpeg
a24.jpeg
a25.jpeg
a26.jpeg

Whose excited about Steve reviewing the .22 caliber Avenge-X? And what are you experiences with the .22 caliber?

Nice !! Really surprised by the 3k reg needed to push the redesigned that fast though. Bit disappointing.
In all fairness, the limiting factor is probably the barrel length. A crutch for most traditionally designed rifles. That is where bull pups have the advantage with longer barrels, and a shorter OAL. Sure they could've made it like a Umarex Gaunlet with a 28'' barrel, but they chose to keep the OAL to 44'' with a 23'' barrel. FWIW - my $3000 Daystate Red Wolf maxed out at the same velocity (though the working pressure is only 250b - 160b) with a 23'' barrel.

According to Steve's graph he achieved 31 shots at that velocity out of a tiny 210cc air tube. Filling to 300b isn't always ideal, but I think the results are impressive.

In all fairness, the limiting factor is probably the barrel length. A crutch for most traditionally designed rifles. That is where bull pups have the advantage with longer barrels, and a shorter OAL. Sure they could've made it like a Umarex Gaunlet with a 28'' barrel, but they chose to keep the OAL to 44'' with a 23'' barrel. FWIW - my $3000 Daystate Red Wolf maxed out at the same velocity (though the working pressure is only 250b - 160b) with a 23'' barrel.

According to Steve's graph he achieved 31 shots at that velocity out of a tiny 210cc air tube. Filling to 300b isn't always ideal, but I think the results are impressive.
Absolutely true….I can’t imagine 31 shots but that is efficient!!

Isn't that really his max fill pressure for that string/tune? You can see he shoots from 300bar down to 170bar.
If you look at the pic that gauge is the reg pressure not fill. He was shooting the string at 3K reg. As Michael stated he got 31 shots which I didn’t notice that. Wow that is efficient.

Nice Steve! I'm really looking forward to the video.
I've had the same gun for some time now, to be quite honest, I'm on my SECOND gun, because the first gun did not live up to expectations.
Vendor gave me a new one, maybe an abbreviated version of my experience would be of interest?

I've been shooting the JSB Monster redesigns as well, but as soon as speeds exceed 895 fps, poop goes sideways.
Reg is set at 2400 psi now, not exactly sure about HS, sorry about that.
I tried different reg pressures, different HS settings, you name it, but both guns did NOT like the higher speeds at all.
At 895 it's 1/2 inch groups at 55 yards all day long, same thing with the new JSB Monsters Deep and Shallow. The Grands seem to do fine as well, just as the Hades Monsters.

As for slugs, poop went WAAAAY further sideways. The gun simply refuses to shoot them.
I tried .216, .217 & .218 Knockouts: first 10-15 shots look ok, then you might as well shoot buckshot.
Tried Nielsens 17,5 and 20.2 grains at same gun settings and therefore way higher speeds: same thing.
Zan's 23 grain .217 and .218: equally disappointing.
Then I tried pellets again, and all of a sudden they were all over the place as well!!

When I cleaned the barrel after the slug testing, I found it had fouled up REALLY bad.
Cleaning it solved the pellet inaccuracy problem, so maybe slugs simply foul up the barrel really fast?
That is my hunch anyway.... Can't think of anything else at this moment.
I got unlucky in the barrel lottery i guess.. :(

Btw, has anybody had any luck with trigger tuning so far? All of my set screws were maxed out at factory settings, so I'll probably have to replace them if I want to get anything done.... Bummer!

Efficiency is good
Nice Steve! I'm really looking forward to the video.
I've had the same gun for some time now, to be quite honest, I'm on my SECOND gun, because the first gun did not live up to expectations.
Vendor gave me a new one, maybe an abbreviated version of my experience would be of interest?

I've been shooting the JSB Monster redesigns as well, but as soon as speeds exceed 895 fps, poop goes sideways.
Reg is set at 2400 psi now, not exactly sure about HS, sorry about that.
I tried different reg pressures, different HS settings, you name it, but both guns did NOT like the higher speeds at all.
At 895 it's 1/2 inch groups at 55 yards all day long, same thing with the new JSB Monsters Deep and Shallow. The Grands seem to do fine as well, just as the Hades Monsters.

As for slugs, poop went WAAAAY further sideways. The gun simply refuses to shoot them.
I tried .216, .217 & .218 Knockouts: first 10-15 shots look ok, then you might as well shoot buckshot.
Tried Nielsens 17,5 and 20.2 grains at same gun settings and therefore way higher speeds: same thing.
Zan's 23 grain .217 and .218: equally disappointing.
Then I tried pellets again, and all of a sudden they were all over the place as well!!

When I cleaned the barrel after the slug testing, I found it had fouled up REALLY bad.
Cleaning it solved the pellet inaccuracy problem, so maybe slugs simply foul up the barrel really fast?
That is my hunch anyway.... Can't think of anything else at this moment.
I got unlucky in the barrel lottery i guess.. :(

Btw, has anybody had any luck with trigger tuning so far? All of my set screws were maxed out at factory settings, so I'll probably have to replace them if I want to get anything done.... Bummer!

This is all a good share, thanks. My path has been similar.

The .22 barrel has been a real challenge for me to get the performance out of whereas the .25 was effortless by comparison. I too had to warranty out a .22 barrel because of an extra course feeling inside when I pulled patches through. That barrel leaded up really bad and instantly, and I was getting terrible corkscrewing (1 foot groups at 100 yds and 2" groups at 50 yards... a 4/5 at 50 gun if ya know what I mean) with the 25.4 Redesigns seemingly no matter what speed I ran them at... and I clean-ran them with a balanced tune at a LOT of different speeds. I spent 3 hard weeks on it before I threw in the towel and finally cried warranty, lol.

I'm happy to report that my replacement .22 barrel is smooth inside, doesn't hold much lead at all (similar to my .25 barrel) and shoots as it should. It's still really fussy with the 25.4 Redesigns though. The problem is the wind and I think the pellets too to a degree. I was able to stabilize the 25.4 at 100 yards (no corkscrew) at 905 fps, 920 fps, and 930 fps and shoot 10 shot groups reliably at 1.5 inches as long as there was really light wind, like 1-2 mph. And then other times, occasionally shoot MOA at 100 in 5-8 mph winds. Then that accuracy would disappear on me. Pellets? I have to assume some of the issue is pellets and some is that the rifling on the .22 barrels cuts deep into the pellet and grabs the wind. At 50 yards though, I can force the 25.4 to run reliably in 8-10 mph winds by pushing it 930 fps. They kick and scream a bit on the way there but they'll always group at sub .50" for me.

I got frustrated with all of the above and last week, began playing with the 18.1gr at 100 yards in a 3-4 mph wind. She put 10 shots in a smeared 2" group lol. 860-870 fps ran rock-solid-stable all the way to 100 in heavy wind... but they moved sideways quite a bit of course. Go figure.

Now, I'm on to filming slugs. At 100 yards and with a Max power tune, the gun likes the FX Hybrids, the JSB .216 Knockouts, the NSA 23gr, and the Zan 23 and 28gr. Wind that day was like 15-25 mph so I abandoned efforts and will try again tomorrow (Friday).

On the trigger, I just yanked all the spacers and it's been running great that way for all of the .25 Ultimate Tuning Guide video (months and thousands of pellets) and for all of the .22 review (4 weeks so far and tons of shooting).

Steve

On the trigger, I just yanked all the spacers and it's been running great that way for all of the .25 Ultimate Tuning Guide video (months and thousands of pellets) and for all of the .22 review (4 weeks so far and tons of shooting).

Steve
I "Pulled" the easy trigger mod from Steve's IG (HookedonAir) that I think you'll appreciate!

To get the last little bit of sear-break-creep outta your Air Venturi Avenge X, remove the stock, remove the trigger sear screw, and omit 2 of the screw's 3 washers. Reassemble and enjoy a perfect 2 stage creep-free beauty 😍

🧪 Formula = CW seat the trigger sear screw, CW seat travel adjuster screw, CCW seat the trigger weight adjuster screw 🔥

Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 12.22.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 12.23.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 12.23.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 12.24.38 PM.png

(y)

Hi Steve & everybody,

Thanks for the whole update, I really appreciate it.
The whole corkscrewing issue I absolutely recognize, but not as bad as you had it though.
At 895 fps all of that has gone.

But I would agree that the 25.4 can be a real finicky pellet. And I've read more than one comment on people not being happy with the quality of the last few batches....
My Wildcat BT Compact LOVES them, but then again, that gun loves cheap-ass Snowpeak 21 grainers too... Lol!

But I will definitely try some of the powertunes as well. I'm very curious to see where you'll end up with the slug testing.
And I'm just dying to know if it will like the new Halo's that finally have sort of arrived? They're on display at IWA!!

So, this weekend: washer-yanking for sure! (thanks Michael!), and maybe try a powertune or 2...
I'm looking forward to Steve's video as well.

Thanks again people for sharing!

Reactions: .20calguy
Found ans applied the trigger modification.
Works like a charm, trigger is way better now!!

Did some more pellet testing outdoors today, in 12 to 15 mph swirling winds..
Pellet speed at about 895 fps. Distance 50 meters, 55 yards.
One to one inch groups with 25.4 gr Jsb Monster Redesigns Deep, Shallow, Hades Monster and 28 grain Monster Redesign Grand were very possible.

Tried 100 meters (110 yards) as well, but there was just too much unpredictable wind. 3 Inch groups with a lot of effort....
Occasional flyers were there as well, but in my opinion this is sort of unavoidable with this .22 barrel.
I'm considering polishing it....

Trigger modification did definitely help.
I hope Steve's having better luck with his slug testing than I did.

Reactions: .20calguy
Was playing with reg and hammer spring today set reg to 125 bar, 18.13 grain JTS running at 920fps, 22.03 grain JTS running at 850fps and the 25grain JTS running at 800fps. Target shot at 50 meters between the wind plus me playing with my strelok pro to get my bc calibrated...

Met another shooter shooting pcp at the range and he gave me some 22 grains to try... seems my gun likes JTS pellets....

Not the highest groups but I am more than happy so far with my avenge x bottle bullpup...

20240302_131104.jpg