AEAC - FX Impact M3 Tuning Guide (interesting pre-video learning shared here)

Things are going to get interesting with the 25.39. My M3 Compact .22 is a bullet shooter. On a whim I tried a mag of 25.39’s with my bullet tune. It was a pokey slow no go. Can‘t wait to see what you come up with when some effort is put into it.
I'm eager to get on to them myself! Though I'll be disappointed if they perform as you say. Hopefully there's a work-around.

Hoping to have weather to try this18gr tune out to 50 this week. These winds have been persistently ridiculous. I'm soooo ready to move on 🙄.

Steve

Hello Steve, I just stepped up to the FX M3 recently in December. It's my first regulated Airgun. I have the M3 .35 w/800 mm barrel. 580cc Air Cylinder, 72cc Power Plenum.
I really want to take a deep dive into this rifle and learn the tuning techniques. Your thread is great. Can you direct me to the best documentation on the FX M3 so I can familiarize myself with the components and the way they all work together?
Right now I am still using the Factory Tuning and I am really impressed with the accuracy out of the box.
TY & Best Regards,
Doug
Hi Doug. It's the M3. I'm sure there's no shortage of successful tuning methods here on AGN and on YouTube. I'd just have a look around and start experimenting.

I intend on providing an answer to your questions myself though. Hang in there. Still learning myself, hehe.

Steve

I purchased a FX M3 last fall and have just been shooting it as it was set up at SPAW. So far it has been great, but I am looking forward to playing around a bit once the weather improves here in NE OH.

While all might not agree with your approach, findings, or presentation (I read through the earlier thread you referenced above), I at least hope all can appreciate the excitement you bring to the sport as well as your desire to share and collaborate.

Thanks for what you do and I’m looking forward to your upcoming video. Do you have a sense for when you might release that video?
Thank you for that. For certain, I ain't the messiah. I'm just experimenting & sharing like y'all so take from it what you will and disregard anything that doesn't work for you. My sharing is an offering of my learning, nothing more.

To answer your question, geez I had planned on being done in February then decided last minute to go cover SHOT. Now that I've got that all done, I'm back on the "3" and since, winds have been absurd for 3 straight weeks now. So frustrating. Anyway, I've got an 18gr tune ready to test out and once it does, things ought to move forward pretty fast. The 25.39gr & slugs won't care much about what the winds are doing 😊.

Steve

I'm eager to get on to them myself! Though I'll be disappointed if they perform as you say. Hopefully there's a work-around.

Hoping to have weather to try this18gr tune out to 50 this week. These winds have been persistently ridiculous. I'm soooo ready to move on 🙄.

Steve
The wind in Pennsylvania hasn’t been any better. But we have the bitter cold factor. If you don’t have a CF sleeve on your liner, you might want to consider one with the 25gr pellet. I never used a CF tube on any FX shooting under a 20gr pellet. When you hit 25gr that’s when you’re on the precipice of seeing the benefits of killing some of the harmonics with that metal straw.

The wind in Pennsylvania hasn’t been any better. But we have the bitter cold factor. If you don’t have a CF sleeve on your liner, you might want to consider one with the 25gr pellet. I never used a CF tube on any FX shooting under a 20gr pellet. When you hit 25gr that’s when you’re on the precipice of seeing the benefits of killing some of the harmonics with that metal straw.
Thank you for that advice. I've got them here at the house but hadn't planned on using them for any part of the tuning guide. You've peaked my curiosity with this. Now I wanna try to make it work without, lol.

On the topic of cold, you've given me an idea. I created my 18g shot chart at 86* and tonight it's going down to 48* ... I think I'll run that chart again tomorrow morning early and see how they compare. If nothing else, the exercise could illustrate the importance of owning an airgun that's tunable 😊.

Steve

I believe you can tune any pellet of any caliber without the aid of a CF sleeve. Especially if you have a pellet or slug sponsor. The problem you run into is how perfect those settings have to be. With environmental factors that affect PCP’s on top of a highly tunable gun that’s even more susceptible to holding all its settings, some of the crutches that are available for the gun can certainly help make life easier. Certain things can help the gun maintain its accuracy as things drift a little north or a little south from where you found magic on chronograph day.

Another thing that is not being shown or is ever talked about is cold shots. All of your graphs that look like a dead mans EKG will sell a lot of guns. But that’s a warmed up Impact. After the gun has been sitting for hours or days, start your chronograph string from the very first shot you fire that day. That graph with the giant ES will let guys know some truths about the gun. Can you tune around it or build custom parts that help? To a point, yes. But there are a lot of factors when trying to do it. Its something people should be made aware of. Hiding it for years is not making FX fix it.

Another thing that is not being shown or is ever talked about is cold shots. All of your graphs that look like a dead mans EKG will sell a lot of guns. But that’s a warmed up Impact. After the gun has been sitting for hours or days, start your chronograph string from the very first shot you fire that day. That graph with the giant ES will let guys know some truths about the gun. Can you tune around it or build custom parts that help? To a point, yes. But there are a lot of factors when trying to do it. Its something people should be made aware of. Hiding it for years is not making FX fix it.
Interesting. I don't discredit what you're saying... I wasn't there to observe, but I've never seen what you're describing with any of the FXs I've ever published tuning guides for. Always for me, when I take them out to film groups (for the review portion) in the days after I set them up, the velocities are always right where I created them.

Perhaps what you're observing is a varying temperature thing? Indoors to outdoors? Day to day temp changes? If so, I've definitely seen that make a change, every time, always, and with every brand of gun, lol. Even as little as 10-15* has always changed things up on me some.

I've actually got the M3 (and pellets) sitting under a blanket in the back yard as we speak. It's going down to 48* tonight and when I made this 18gr tune on the 8th, the almanac shows it was 87*. I can't wait to run the chart again at dawn and see how things change. I anticipate 40* oughta really muck with my settings. Love these experiments! I'm such a nerd!! 😁

Steve

Nothing nerdy about it. That kind of information can save lots of questions or aggravation. Years ago lots of us set our PCP’s outside to freeze. Then checked the pressures and shot them over the chronograph. That information gets lost with time. I’ve owned 5 Impacts over the last 3 years. All experienced the first shot or shots blues. Many topics about it from many owners. Are there magic one off guns out there? I doubt it. Too many really smart guys trying to fix it.

Nothing nerdy about it. That kind of information can save lots of questions or aggravation. Years ago lots of us set our PCP’s outside to freeze. Then checked the pressures and shot them over the chronograph. That information gets lost with time. I’ve owned 5 Impacts over the last 3 years. All experienced the first shot or shots blues. Many topics about it from many owners. Are there magic one off guns out there? I doubt it. Too many really smart guys trying to fix it.
Oh I'm with ya now! 100% on that first shot thing after it's been sitting overnight or for days. Regs creep over that amount of time, in my experience, all of them, every brand. Interesting thing is that a little.overnight creep doesn't always translate into a whacked out first shot for me. Often, velocity is still as it should be. But sometimes it isnt. Explain that one! I never could, lol.

Steve

Interesting and impressive findings discovered today.

If one creates an 18gr M3 tune at 86* Fahrenheit, that tune is still perfectly usable & high performing at 48* Fahrenheit. What's more, shot count is extended by 14 shots. For me personally, this was exciting news because it creates kind of an everything 18gr tune for us southerners for 9 months of the year. It may even work in our summer 95-100* temps but I haven't been able to test that out yet.

Other interesting takeaways I discovered were that my Reg1 and Reg2 settings of 125 and 86 bar didn't budge a bar when tuned at 86* and re-ran at 48*. I even left my M3, pellets, & mags outside overnight under a towel so that they'd all match the ambient 48* prior to running the below chart at dawn. Those results really surprised me... but I'm no physics major. Perhaps some of you guys smarter than me can chime in on that.

AGN member Vetmx, I ran the below 48* chart on a cold gun as you put it. No warmup via shooting it a bunch first. I did dry fire twice before I began the LabRadar run to settle regs. They had both moved a bit after 7 days sitting & being relocated from 86* to 48* Fahrenheit. R1 had drifted up to 130 bar and R2 had shrunk back to 78 bar. Hope that helps reference our conversation above.

Steve

Tune created at 86* Fahrenheit and arid.
image019.png

Above tune retested at 48* Fahrenheit and rainy/wet.
image021.png

Here's one I came up with yesterday... first swipe at an 18gr pellet tune.

My goal was to improve upon the OEM tune with an improved ES & SD, while maintaining the speed of 880. Today, I'll try to stretch things out a bit more. Guessing that some VA trim, or another 3-5 bar on the reg may help accomplish this.

Steve

View attachment 338720
Are you using the pellet or slug port on barrel? Thanks for all the content around the tunes!

Reactions: .20calguy
Interesting and impressive findings discovered today.

If one creates an 18gr M3 tune at 86* Fahrenheit, that tune is still perfectly usable & high performing at 48* Fahrenheit.
Hello Steve,
Other interesting takeaways I discovered were that my Reg1 and Reg2 settings of 125 and 86 bar didn't budge a bar when tuned at 86* and re-ran at 48*.
Hello Steve,

I was always thinking that the sweet spot pressure between two reg was 25/30bar, did you have found best results pushing it to 40bar?

Thanks for all your informations and knowledge 😀🙏

Yep, but those two shots that guys refuse to record for their forum or YouTube graphs are what a lot of guys find disturbing when they actually buy the gun. They think why didn’t YouTube Willy or forum Franks gun shoot a couple slow shots. Guys that actually hunt with the gun must insure those first two “let the regs settle” shots are dead on for an animals sake. I’m not pointing a finger directly at you because you try to put out good stuff to help the masses. But you have to admit that your graphs would be ruined if you truly showed a string of how the gun performs after it has sat idle for a while. Before I addressed the actual problem, I knew how long I could let each of my Impacts sit before the first shot fell outside a normal acceptable ES. This is very critical with a slug tune. A little more leeway with pellet tunes.

Hello Steve,

Hello Steve,

I was always thinking that the sweet spot pressure between two reg was 25/30bar, did you have found best results pushing it to 40bar?

Thanks for all your informations and knowledge 😀🙏
Well when running lowish reg pressures, like I have been so far, and at a 25 bar difference, I wasn't pleased with the reset time reg 2 needed to come back to ready after a shot... or its reset position reliability in "low-low land." I asked FX about this and they told me that up to 35-40 bar difference in between can be good but anything more would be in the realm of diminishing returns. So I tried going up on the "in-between" and got a better result. It seems like a little more pressure on reg 2 can be beneficial when reg 2 is running lowish like 70-85 bar.

That's all I've got on that for now. I'll certainly try 25/30 ish again when I get into some higher required reg 2 pressures, as I'm sure I will with the 25gr pellets and slugs.

Steve

Reactions: morespeeder
I’d like to make the case for why you shouldn’t follow this advice. First, as Curtis Nelson pointed out, if the QTS wheel is reset to the same value each time, there is no change to the hammer spring tension.

But moreover, if you adopt this method and use the power wheel in an attempt to eek out (what you believe to be, without any statistical merit) a “flat-spot” in ES, you will miss out on one of the best features of an M3, which is the ability to shoot a wide range of projectiles just by adjusting the power wheel.

For example, my M3 compact 22 has a standard liner and the only mod from stock is a lightly dremeled pellet probe. Tuning specs are listed below, if you’re interested. At power wheel setting 16, it shoots 23g Javelin slugs at 975fps. At power wheel setting 1, it shoots Hades at 830fps. In between those settings I can find sweet spots for a wide range of projectiles. This includes Zan slugs, which don’t shoot nearly as accurately as the Javelins at full power, shooting really well at 800 fps on power wheel setting 8! This provides a very effective option very quiet for quiet short range pesting. Moreover, I can shoot Hades, JSB18s, redesigns and low and high speed slugs all sub-MOA at some optimal power wheel setting (speed). This is the true beauty of the M3. With just a turn of the power wheel and a few clicks on the scope, I can go from plinking at 25 yards to taking out a pest in wind at 120.

Settings: reg1@175bar, reg2@160bar, barrel oriented to use slug port, QTS (aka: thumbwheel/micro) at 4.55 when power wheel is set at 16, valve adjuster at 4 lines. Note that valve adjustment is the most sensitive aspect of M3 tuning and least likely to translate the same result from one gun to another. Just start wide open and close it incrementally until you see a consistent 10fps drop.
How many shots are you getting out of this tune, at the different queen settings? I would like a similar confuration with my 300cc bottle, I just found I was filling more frequently than I wanted when I had it at higher pressures.