AEA Zeus 72 cal Makeover - Pic Heavy

Apohlo

Jun 12, 2022
Wisco
So allow me to lay down some facts of the couple month long affair with my recently acquired Zeus Gen 2 in the one and only 72 caliber.

Fact #1: It's expensive to feed. The majority of guys who own this rifle, are not going to plink a ton with it. Hunt in some states, sure, but in general, this is a close range, "what the heck can I obliterate with a 1300 grain projectile" kind of weapon. $1.50 of lead and $1.00 of air per shot doesn't make you want to blow through 50 slugs in a day.

Fact #2: it isn't a dream to shoot. (not to be confused with the absolute dream of what happens after you shoot it) The Zeus weighs about 10000lb in it's 32" barrel configuration. The trigger is single stage and probably 10lb to break. The stock is ugly and the cheek rest is so low, you'd have to have three chins for it to be usable.

Both these facts considered, the 72 cal Zeus is the epitamy of a party trick. It's the iconic, "hey man, wanna shoot my pellet gun" kinda thing. You hand it to someone, their eyes bulge, they explode in laughter, etc. It makes anyone a kid at Christmas.

So, I decided to improve the shooting experience a bit!

Bring out. The stripper.
0826222212.jpg

Time to get rid of that mud varnish paint coating or whatever was on this piece of walnut.
0827221045.jpg

Alas, a knot! Never knew that was there. Let's just trace out a happy little pencil line...
0827221621.jpg

While I was at it, I decided to remove the white abs butt pad spacer - the rubber pad is glued to that, and the spacer is screwed to the stock.
0907221956.jpg

Not a big fan of how it looked, and wanted the option to remove the butt pad down the road. Popped the rubber in the freezer and countersunk some holes, and voile, direct mount!
0907221957.jpg

Wow looks stunning!
Thank you!
Wood looks great, but if you drop that scope on super low weaver rings then you wouldn't need that sky high cheel riser
Suprisingly, that isn't the case. The original height of the stock sits so low on this sucker that if you pulled up the Zeus, you are looking at the back of the clocking lever. You had to bring your head way up to where your chin was almost sitting in the stock to effectively look over the picatinny rail. With the cheek piece elevated now, it's at a perfect height (for me) if I were to put low rings on, but the cheek weld is still strong with the current setup.
I’m almost speechless.

1. I can’t comprehend a 72 caliber pellet gun.
2. That wood is beautiful.
3. That cocking lever looks massive.
Thank you on all accounts - it's massive in every proportion, in an almost rediculous manner.
Absolutely beautiful work! You are an artist. Amazing stuff. Thanks for posting this!
Good tools and a drive to make something different (and a little bit better) is all ya need. Appreciate the kind words!
Good way of fitting it to you. Awesome work. Thanks for illustrating it with the pics as well. On another note, the neighbors would freak if I shot that in my backyard lol.
When a 1300gr slug hits a 12" ar500 gong, it does sound like church bells... Maybe you could play your neighbor's a tune and they'd be OK with it?

Reactions: merpo