AEA Semi Auto buyers and owners BEWARE!

(5000 .22 rounds in a year are normal, especially for a semi auto.
Its just 10 cans of pellets. 9 magazines a week.)

Unfortunately Firewalker proves my point.

BLL is not an indicator like blood sugar for example were if you have a high level and
you lower it back to normal you're good to go. The 5 µg/dL is a maximum value and
if your levels are that high your are already in trouble. Another major difference with
an indicator like blood sugar is that lead accumulates in your tissue, so if you are
constantly having high levels in your blood, your are poisoning your self.

To put it in perspective the normal level of BLL in humans is 0.02 µg/dL.

You have to understand that there are no safe levels of lead.
Lead is extremely toxic, it decreases vitamin D levels, it will raise your blood pressure,
it obstructs hemoglobin synthesis and it causes neurological problems.
Hand tremors and high blood pressure will be two of the signs.

Handling lead pellets and casting lead pose no danger if done properly,
but inhaling lead dust is a different story.

A face mask might be a solution although we already had enough of these...
I will not sell my HP SS because its a lot of fun, but I think I will change to
copper coated pellets.

(5000 .22 rounds in a year are normal, especially for a semi auto.
Its just 10 cans of pellets. 9 magazines a week.)

Unfortunately Firewalker proves my point.

BLL is not an indicator like blood sugar for example were if you have a high level and
you lower it back to normal you're good to go. The 5 µg/dL is a maximum value and
if your levels are that high your are already in trouble. Another major difference with
an indicator like blood sugar is that lead accumulates in your tissue, so if you are
constantly having high levels in your blood, your are poisoning your self.

To put it in perspective the normal level of BLL in humans is 0.02 µg/dL.

You have to understand that there are no safe levels of lead.
Lead is extremely toxic, it decreases vitamin D levels, it will raise your blood pressure,
it obstructs hemoglobin synthesis and it causes neurological problems.
Hand tremors and high blood pressure will be two of the signs.

Handling lead pellets and casting lead pose no danger if done properly,
but inhaling lead dust is a different story.

A face mask might be a solution although we already had enough of these...
I will not sell my HP SS because its a lot of fun, but I think I will change to
copper coated pellets.
Please for the love of GOD! Just send it to me, for further research! I just had my blood tested..... It comes back as an AMERICAN!!!!!
I will shoot thousands of rounds through it and have my blood tested again, and agin ... For your safety. You can thank me for my service later...
GOD Bless..... Uncle, Sully

From Mt. Sinai:

Normal Results​

Small amounts of lead in adults are not thought to be harmful. However, even low levels of lead can be dangerous to infants and children. It can cause lead poisoning that leads to problems in mental development.
Adults:
  • Less than 10 micrograms per deciliter (µg/dL) or 0.48 micromoles per liter (µmol/L) of lead in the blood
Children:
  • Less than 3.5 µg/dL or 0.17 µmol/L of lead in the blood
I see references for treatment are more like 40 ug/dl and higher for adults. Looking through the web I see no mention of issues of levels 10ug/dl or below. This is from science direct article.

There is little evidence that BLLs below 30 μg/dL are neurotoxic in adult humans. Among subjects with BLLs at or above 40 μg/dL (1.2 cases per 100,000 employed 16- to 64-year-olds), a clinician might observe reduced nerve conduction velocities. Severe encephalopathy, risk drop, and peripheral neuritis are signs that appear when BLLs are at or above 100 μg/dL

Your numbers are more in line for children.

From Mt. Sinai:

Normal Results​

Small amounts of lead in adults are not thought to be harmful. However, even low levels of lead can be dangerous to infants and children. It can cause lead poisoning that leads to problems in mental development.
Adults:
  • Less than 10 micrograms per deciliter (µg/dL) or 0.48 micromoles per liter (µmol/L) of lead in the blood
Children:
  • Less than 3.5 µg/dL or 0.17 µmol/L of lead in the blood
I see references for treatment are more like 40 ug/dl and higher for adults. Looking through the web I see no mention of issues of levels 10ug/dl or below. This is from science direct article.

There is little evidence that BLLs below 30 μg/dL are neurotoxic in adult humans. Among subjects with BLLs at or above 40 μg/dL (1.2 cases per 100,000 employed 16- to 64-year-olds), a clinician might observe reduced nerve conduction velocities. Severe encephalopathy, risk drop, and peripheral neuritis are signs that appear when BLLs are at or above 100 μg/dL

Your numbers are more in line for children.

You are forgetting that the effect is cumulative and you are referencing the "new normal"...

while...
"Pre-industrial human BLL measurements are estimated to have been 0.016 μg/dL,
and this level increased markedly in the aftermath of the industrial revolution
".

We had to have lead paints to find out what was going on.

Problem solved I think. Two actually. (y)

I've just tried out the Excite Coppa Spitzkugel .25 pellets which are copper coated
and they are extremely accurate with the HP SS! They are a tad tight and in order
to avoid any jams, you have to push each pellet with a toothpick until it clicks
to the bottom of the magazine. It does not need any force, but you will have
no jammings. First pellet has to be flush. Do not push it all the way.
I will clean barrel and baffles and no more lead for this semi, unless I have to use the hornets...
They also have the same POI. The Spitzkugels are very cheap as well.
You get 771 FPS, 44 Joules and they hit hard!

Second issue was the magazine spring which kept popping out of the bottom hole.
Very badly designed and this happens mainly because the height of the spring is
smaller than the depth of the rotary pellet holder hole. Stretch the spring until
they have the same length and bob's your uncle. Just make sure that the two
spring extensions are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the coils.

If you are using this semi with lead pellets, especially indoors, think again!
I hope more companies will start making copper coated pellets.

The reason I started the thread is to warn owners of AEA semi autos that this dust
is not just left behind, but it is sprayed right on your face and this is not just a risk
but a definite health hazard.
Powder coat your lead pellets if you're concerned?

E466EDDE-EE78-4D42-8F06-500EF71DA9B4_1_201_a.jpg

Last edited:
"I seriously doubt the lead dust is anymore than many other airguns or powder burners."

The issue is not the amount of lead dust, but the fact that after each shoot that dust is spayed all over your face.
Also if you hold your breath for accuracy, the next breath after the shoot will include the lead dust.
Interesting. I just read this post in search of a semi auto. It makes sense what you are saying. Blood tests are great but a more scientific instrument would give us better data on what's really happening or to what degree. I'm disappointed but grateful to have read this post. Maybe I'll just buy a notos or airacuda max for now until I figure more out on the semi's.

Reactions: hgg2k
I recently bought the AEA HP SS .25 air pistol and I have to admit that it is a lot of fun!
Very nice platform and very accurate for such a small barrel.
It has two problems though.

One is major and the other is huge.

The major problem is the magazine. It is pure junk. Cheap plastic, awful construction and badly designed. The spring inside has two extensions (pins), a long one that goes into the rotary wheel and a very short one that goes into the bottom of the magazine. This small one is so sort that after a while it pops up and the magazine stops working. You have to disassemble the magazine and put it back to position, but it will keep doing it because it’s a very bad design. It is also very picky about pellets. The whole construction is very cheap and flimsy.

The second problem that I realized after 100 rounds is huge! Everybody that has used a moderator surely knows that they collect a lot of lead dust inside. The HP and all the other semi autos have a set of baffles inside the shroud and they use the captured air to push back the cocking action in order to load the next pellet automatically. Everybody would have noticed that every time you shoot it, a generous amount of air blows exactly at your face.

This means that after every shot a small amount of very fine lead particulates from the shroud is hitting you right at your face! This dust is hundreds of times more dangerous than handling lead pellets, especially if you inhale it. Lead will be in your bloodstream in a matter of minutes. Carcinogenic and highly neurotoxic.

Buying this air pistol, no matter how fun it is, was a very bad decision unfortunately.
Owners of these semi autos should be aware of this danger which is no fun at all.
I clean an lube all my pellets so lead dust should be minimal I spray my crossman's with high pressure shower head in a sieve moving em around for a few minutes making sure all the loose shaving are knocked off with the water pressure I get no lead dust.

I recently bought the AEA HP SS .25 air pistol and I have to admit that it is a lot of fun!
Very nice platform and very accurate for such a small barrel.
It has two problems though.

One is major and the other is huge.

The major problem is the magazine. It is pure junk. Cheap plastic, awful construction and badly designed. The spring inside has two extensions (pins), a long one that goes into the rotary wheel and a very short one that goes into the bottom of the magazine. This small one is so sort that after a while it pops up and the magazine stops working. You have to disassemble the magazine and put it back to position, but it will keep doing it because it’s a very bad design. It is also very picky about pellets. The whole construction is very cheap and flimsy.

The second problem that I realized after 100 rounds is huge! Everybody that has used a moderator surely knows that they collect a lot of lead dust inside. The HP and all the other semi autos have a set of baffles inside the shroud and they use the captured air to push back the cocking action in order to load the next pellet automatically. Everybody would have noticed that every time you shoot it, a generous amount of air blows exactly at your face.

This means that after every shot a small amount of very fine lead particulates from the shroud is hitting you right at your face! This dust is hundreds of times more dangerous than handling lead pellets, especially if you inhale it. Lead will be in your bloodstream in a matter of minutes. Carcinogenic and highly neurotoxic.

Buying this air pistol, no matter how fun it is, was a very bad decision unfortunately.
Owners of these semi autos should be aware of this danger which is no fun at all.
For firearms yes, but this is airgun and the pelet is not pushed by burning powder, there is not enough friction to shave the pellet and push lead particals back to your face.