Aea problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have a very hard time believing that after owning 500 airguns the aea challenger is the top dog. I just don't see it happening.

I think in the world of pcp they're priced appropriately up to the , I don't know I'd say 800 dollar mark. After that I am not so sure but I've never owned one.

I have a hard time believing that if I owned that rifle and my alpha that I would shoot a better group with that aea.

No AEA will out group your Alpha Wolf that costs 3x as much or more. But they will have other features, more power, and you don't have to worry about getting a micro-scratch on it.

Magazine problems are well documented with AEA. User error or not this shouldn’t happen to someone it’s flat out scary. As far as price yes most of their guns are a flat out bargain, maybe not if this can happen to you, but that new 45 auto and Bin offers it upgraded to a 700cc carbon bottle which is where the 2k price point is. I just can’t imagine choosing aea if I’m spending 2 grand. No way. I was just saying that aea has pushed out a TON of gun models super fast which makes me stop and go hmmm. To each their own it’s just my opinion and I do not own one.

So the most tricked out, accessorized BinTac gun approaches 2 grand if you want every possible upgrade included out of the box. Let me know if you find another semi auto air gun that is even in the ballpark of that power and performance. Oh wait, there are zero other options. That's probably why that particular model goes for a premium, especially considering it's a limited release.

Magazine problems, I will give you. I had an AEA HP SS 30+ and AEA replaced all my magazines for free. They didn't explode, they just sometimes failed to advance. No problems since. But if your magazines are "exploding", it's because you forgot to close the bolt. FWIW I've forgot to close the bolt on an AEA Challenger 357 with a magazine in a couple times, and the magazine didn't explode or break. But it can happen. User error and an unfortunately common one. Perhaps AEA should engineer their future guns to reduce user error (and they probably will).

• Love
Reactions: SHOMER
Let me be real, my honest opinion.

AEA changed the game. They brought the power, they brought the features, they brought the full line-up. Every year they improve their models and address concerns about them. They're the best value by far and they're not far from catching up to super expensive luxury guns in accuracy either.

So the industry feels threatened, and those who spent a lot more on a rifle that's getting stood up by a much cheaper AEA feel threatened.

If you don't own one and never have why would you comment negatively otherwise?

sadly that's how their company works, they build guns, and we get them for cheaper than the higher brands but us consumers are the r&d.

I don't disagree. The new M50 looks very interesting for example. 50 caliber, 400 FPE, magazine fed, also shoots arrows, tactical folding stock, etc.

Would I want to watch a few videos and reviews before spending $699 on it? You betcha.

But if it works, that's a heck of a gun.

I don't disagree. The new M50 looks very interesting for example. 50 caliber, 400 FPE, magazine fed, also shoots arrows, tactical folding stock, etc.

Would I want to watch a few videos and reviews before spending $699 on it? You betcha.

But if it works, that's a heck of a gun.

.50 cal and 400 fpe? The umarex hammer is capable of more and I hated that thing.
No AEA will out group your Alpha Wolf that costs 3x as much or more. But they will have other features, more power, and you don't have to worry about getting a micro-scratch on it.

I was replying to the guys post saying he had better groups from his aea than the supposed 3000 dollar guns he's selling because of his aea ownership.

I do not see any .22 aea putting out more power than my alpha, I was shooting groups with 25.39 slugs at 1002 fps, tightened the group by bringing it down to 945 fps. With slugs. Show me a .22 aea that capable.

I've also had my alpha in the dirt, sitting on old barrels, etc. Don't assume things. The comment was made that his aea is superior to his 3000 dollar rifles so I brought my 3500 dollar rifle into this.

The katran rifles or a taipan are a far better value dollar for dollar. Some of us will look past what a spec sheet says and understand good machining and craftsmanship. That's the plain truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: HubenK1Sniper92
AEA Ben in his YOU TUBE video's always cautions or is shown pushing the bolt forward or seating it on semi auto models.
I purchased an early AEA one of the first off the boat carbines. At first had some minor QC problems and then later the weak magazine spring feed problem. I found Ben to be a very stand up guy, truly a dealer who stood behind his sale. I still own that carbine which is now a back packer and have had no further problems.
All of the actual shooting videos, Bin Tac also always recommends the wearing of shooting glasses and he reiterates it. There’s always thousands of psi within inches of our faces while using these platforms. And eye injury was very avoidable or at least mitigated. It’s good that an eye wasn’t lost. Of my two AEA’s I’ve had zero issues (Varmint Standard Custom and Element Regulated). However when I did first shoot my FX Dreamline, I experienced the bolt/side lever blowing open because I didn’t ensure it was locked forward. That Dreamline is no POS, I made a mistake. The biggest issue I had with my Varmint was a pellet slipped down into the trigger mechanism. I haven’t got a clue how, but it was there. Easy fix. Oh yah, and the Element I got from The Pellet Shop has been fantastic!!!

10331094-8250-439B-A9DD-80B179B968A0.jpeg

Last edited:
.50 cal and 400 fpe? The umarex hammer is capable of more and I hated that thing.

I was replying to the guys post saying he had better groups from his aea than the supposed 3000 dollar guns he's selling because of his aea ownership.

I do not see any .22 aea putting out more power than my alpha, I was shooting groups with 25.39 slugs at 1002 fps, tightened the group by bringing it down to 945 fps. With slugs. Show me a .22 aea that capable.

I've also had my alpha in the dirt, sitting on old barrels, etc. Don't assume things. The comment was made that his aea is superior to his 3000 dollar rifles so I brought my 3500 dollar rifle into this.

Quit being a hater. Umarex hammer has nothing to do with AEA. The M50 is a short tactical gun, not a long hunting rifle. But it will still be the most powerful arrow shooting airgun ever created. If you want max power in a hunting rifle, again, AEA dominates the competition with the Gen 2 Zeus platform in .72 and .58 ... or even the Challenger long barrel various models. Again, you'd have to know what you're talking about by not just being a hater who ignores the whole platform.

As for your Alpha Wolf .22 and it's power, you're adding up to 68.5 FPE with those slugs and speed. Pretty awesome for a .22 ... but AEA does have you beat in the Challenger Pro for $799 ... it will punch a bit harder than that from what I've seen. Also adjustable regulator so you can tune it down. Also extremely accurate. The regular Challenger for $359 (or whatever it currently is) will also shoot stronger but unregulated -- oh wait, you can get a $79 regulator add on for that now too if you want.

It seems to me you are the one "assuming" things, since you've seemingly never touched an AEA but seem devoted to denegrating the brand regardless.

I'm going to make a thread about my new AEA Terminator Gen 2 .30 in a couple days. Have the carbon fiber shroud on it, about to install the CNC folding stock. This gun is stout and sexy as it gets. Haters will hate & lovers will Terminate!

Last edited:
Quit being a hater. Umarex hammer has nothing to do with AEA. The M50 is a short tactical gun, not a long hunting rifle. If you want max power in a hunting rifle, again, AEA dominates the competition with the Gen 2 Zeus platform in .72 and .58 ... or even the Challenger long barrel various models. Again, you'd have to know what you're talking about by not just being a hater who ignores the whole platform.

As for your Alpha Wolf .22 and it's power, you're adding up to 68.5 FPE with those slugs and speed. Pretty awesome for a .22 ... but AEA does have you beat in the Challenger Pro for $799 ... it will punch a bit harder than that from what I've seen. Also adjustable regulator so you can tune it down. Also extremely accurate. The regular Challenger for $359 (or whatever it currently is) will also shoot stronger but unregulated -- oh wait, you can get a $79 regulator add on for that now too if you want.

It seems to me you are the one "assuming" things, since you've seemingly never touched an AEA but seem devoted to denegrating the brand regardless.

I'm going to make a thread about my new AEA Terminator Gen 2 .30 in a couple days. Have the carbon fiber shroud on it, about to install the CNC folding stock. This gun is stout and sexy as it gets. Haters will hate & lovers will Terminate!

Actually you kno what? I really don't feel like debating this but here it goes and it will be my last comment in this thread.

Hondas, great cars. Toyota, great cars. Foreign but not cheap. (I hope you understand my analogy here)

One thing I'll name right off the bat, ergonomics are absolutely terrible on the zeus platforms. Horrible design, horrible cheek and the 32" barrel on the .58 and one variation of the zeus has been named a novelty by just about 90% of people using air to hunt, its just too obnoxious. (Give my alpha another 10 inches of barrel n watch it out powrr every .22 airgun in the market, longer barrel, more power). 24" zeus packing serious power, I want one a couple people who have commented in here know that. So again let's not assume.

Tactical air rifle? The very thing that will crush and demolish this hobby, just like b&w s45 or whatever it is. Marketed as a self defense weapon. TERRIBLE.

As far as comparing any aea product to my alpha, I just won't entertain it. There are so many other things to take into account when purchasing these things than stats on a spec sheet.

I've owned everything from cheap to expensive. One of my favorites is my Prod, yup a friggen prod man.

Last edited:
Actually you kno what? I really don't feel like debating this but here it goes and it will be my last comment in this thread.

Hondas, great cars. Toyota, great cars. Foreign but not cheap. (I hope you understand my analogy here)

One thing I'll name right off the bat, ergonomics are absolutely terrible on the zeus platforms. Horrible design, horrible cheek and the 32" barrel on the .58 and one variation of the zeus has been named a novelty by just about 90% of people using air to hunt, its just too obnoxious. (Give my alpha another 10 inches of barrel n watch it out powrr every .22 airgun in the market, longer barrel, more power). 24" zeus packing serious power, I want one a couple people who have commented in here know that. So again let's not assume.

Tactical air rifle? The very thing that will crush and demolish this hobby, just like b&w s45 or whatever it is. Marketed as a self defense weapon. TERRIBLE.

As far as comparing any aea product to my alpha, I just won't entertain it. There are so many other things to take into account when purchasing these things that stats on a spec sheet.

I've owned everything from cheap to expensive. One of my favorites is my Prod, yup a friggen prod man.
I think you know everything I own. I can say without a doubt, the only AEA I would buy tomorrow would be ANOTHER Element regulated, but it would be in .22. Not because I think the others in their lineup are garbage, but because I know the trigger on the Element is fantastic and frankly after owning my two FX’s I’m not really keen on saving a few bucks to try a challenger pro when I know what I’d get with another FX or the Element.

As far as the S45 banger, I’d agree that it’s the wrong light for this sport. But I would also say this, it’s probably one of the biggest advancements in air power semi auto platforms to date. It’s putting down stats that can’t really be argued with for what it is. Do I want one? Nope, no interest what so ever. Would I shoot one given the chance? Well when I had a chance to drive a twin turbo AWD Porsche at 570 hp, I jumped on it even though I have no interest in owning one. Yah I’d definitely shoot one. And go back to my little pew pews as happy as could be at the end of the day.

Hey CT, put your (Alpha Wolf) groups where your mouth is.

Notice all the targets I posted are at lease three consecutive five-shot groups. No fudging, no magic of editing, no throwing out a flier or group that spoiled the average group sizes. By the way, all my shooting is in OUTDOOR wind conditions, with pellets.

Get back to me when you achieve .80 MOA average at 100 yards with that Alpha, or ANY other airgun. Good luck with that.

RR card.jpg

Marketed as a self defense weapon. TERRIBLE.

I'm sure it's marketed as a hunting weapon, which of course will be the primary purpose. Short barrel AEAs are known to have pretty good accuracy anyway, and they're easier to lug around with the compact size. If someone on YouTube wants to go into hypotheticals based on the capability that's on them.

But in an imaginary scenario I can imagine an AEA might be something that could save your life and perhaps a .22 Alpha Wolf might not be my first option.

This is kind of like saying it's too capable, so that's bad.

I do get the notion that airgunning ought to remain separate and distinct. But it's not just AEA pushing the envelope. They're just making it affordable and in some cases doing it better.

Quit being a hater. Umarex hammer has nothing to do with AEA. The M50 is a short tactical gun, not a long hunting rifle. But it will still be the most powerful arrow shooting airgun ever created. If you want max power in a hunting rifle, again, AEA dominates the competition with the Gen 2 Zeus platform in .72 and .58 ... or even the Challenger long barrel various models. Again, you'd have to know what you're talking about by not just being a hater who ignores the whole platform.

Lol, sorry I don’t waste my hard earned cash on junk with 20 lb trigger pulls, problematic leaks, etc and am not even going to say about where it is made because that might offend somebody and yes I have owned an aea so I can say they are junk but it’s America to each their own I can choose to spend $3k on a rifle and I do and you can spend what you want on rifles

So the most tricked out, accessorized BinTac gun approaches 2 grand if you want every possible upgrade included out of the box. Let me know if you find another semi auto air gun that is even in the ballpark of that power and performance. Oh wait, there are zero other options. That's probably why that particular model goes for a premium, especially considering it's a limited release.

Magazine problems, I will give you. I had an AEA HP SS 30+ and AEA replaced all my magazines for free. They didn't explode, they just sometimes failed to advance. No problems since. But if your magazines are "exploding", it's because you forgot to close the bolt. FWIW I've forgot to close the bolt on an AEA Challenger 357 with a magazine in a couple times, and the magazine didn't explode or break. But it can happen. User error and an unfortunately common one. Perhaps AEA should engineer their future guns to reduce user error (and they probably will).
Again if these things are so amazing and accurate then why are they not dominating RMAC, ebr, etc? Change my mind 🤷‍♂️

I have bought 3 aea's and have buyers regret.
The first-357 hpmax blew up in my face with a fill pressure of 3500 psi.that cost me 25$ to replace magazine, I was able to shoot 45 more slugs threw it when I had problems with the bottle.I adjusted the screw in the neck as recommended to no avail so I purchased then 700cc carbon fiber bottle kit that came on the market and was able to shoot 20 more rounds before the orings failed and the gauge.I filled bottle to 4500psi as indicated on rifle. Almost $900 + wasted.
The second - 30 cal challenger bullpup with 32" barrel. Magazine again blew up in my face cutting my cheek. Again 25$ more for magazine.500$+ wasted.
The third- 357 challenger big bore with moderator exploded in my face sending me to hospital cutting my eye and cheek with a shiner later on.600$+ wasted
I contacted Ben to try and resolve this issue somehow.I have invested over 2000$ and wish I bought a different brand,any one is better than aea.
Be careful I almost lost a eye and don't like to load the slugs one by one.I didn't by a single shot!!!! AEA garbage

View attachment 270478

Glad the damage done was minimal. If I were you, I would trash it without blinking an eye!

I'm sure it's marketed as a hunting weapon, which of course will be the primary purpose. Short barrel AEAs are known to have pretty good accuracy anyway, and they're easier to lug around with the compact size. If someone on YouTube wants to go into hypotheticals based on the capability that's on them.

But in an imaginary scenario I can imagine an AEA might be something that could save your life and perhaps a .22 Alpha Wolf might not be my first option.

This is kind of like saying it's too capable, so that's bad.

I do get the notion that airgunning ought to remain separate and distinct. But it's not just AEA pushing the envelope. They're just making it affordable and in some cases doing it better.
Who in their right mind would even consider to use an airgun for self defense purposes, I’ll tell ya, felons who can’t legally buy a real weapon for self defense, sorry if someone breaks into my house you they will be confronted by a colt 1911 or maybe a 7.62x39 if I’m feeling frisky 😀

Reactions: Nelson86m

Seems like you are also assuming as well, I saw your signature rifle list, have you ever had your hands on a higher tier rifle? Because that list of rifles isn’t that impressive to me

Let me first say that in my experience Bin Yan, of The Pellet Shop, is a stand up guy. He's always replied to my texts and phone calls and did the right thing when I had issues with an AEA rifle I purchased from him. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another rifle from him.
My concern is about AEA the manufacturer. No air rifle is perfect, they almost all have issues at one time or the other. But AEA changes models so often and don't supply their dealers with repair parts that the only option the dealer has when an issue occurs is to replace the whole rifle. But what happens after the 1 year warranty? I've owned 3 AEA rifles, they all developed issues and I was fortunate that Bin did the right thing and either replaced the rifle or swapped out the entire component. But what happens after the 1 year warranty if there are no replacement parts to repair my rifle?

Reactions: Prospector Tripp
Status
Not open for further replies.