• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA mods

Just got my first rounds through my brand new varmint this afternoon, I love the folding stock and didn't get the skeletonized but so I am just using a super cheap plastic but and it works very well for my needs.

I'm looking at making a balanced valve as well as pulling the trigger group and polishing that up as well as swapping out Springs to see if I can't smooth the trigger up some and get just a wee bit more power.

This will be my hunting rig so I only need two mags worth of shots, I have scuba bottles to reair when I need to refill.

I'm also replacing the aluminum air tank with a 43 l carbon fiber tank both to save weight and I find the balance to be better with a lighter tank up in front.

My first MOD was losing the aluminum bottle and going to a carbon fiber bottle, I saved a good pound off the front of the gun and the round end gives me a good grip for off hand shooting.

Not saying I got 1 MOA accuracy yet but I'm getting closer with a 1.44" center to center group at 100 yards with JSB Exact Kings, 25.39gr. Not a slug shooter so far but am waiting for NSA slugs to confirm she only likes pellets.

AEA Varmint.jpg

Reactions: darylm
My first MOD was losing the aluminum bottle and going to a carbon fiber bottle, I saved a good pound off the front of the gun and the round end gives me a good grip for off hand shooting.

Not saying I got 1 MOA accuracy yet but I'm getting closer with a 1.44" center to center group at 100 yards with JSB Exact Kings, 25.39gr. Not a slug shooter so far but am waiting for NSA slugs to confirm she only likes pellets.

View attachment 291858
I would throw on a Huma bottle reg, an extra plenum and a 700cc bottle on it. With a barrel that long it would still look balanced and proportional. Plus, you’d get a higher shot count and more consistency.

Reactions: Firewalker
I would throw on a Huma bottle reg, an extra plenum and a 700cc bottle on it. With a barrel that long it would still look balanced and proportional. Plus, you’d get a higher shot count and more consistency.

I tried the 700cc bottle and it added all the weight back that I lost swapping out the aluminum tank.

No need for the reg at this time, 20 shots at 900fps is all I need on a hunt. I have a spare 500cc bottle with a cheap reg on it for an in-field recharge if needed.

The gun comes up nicely and shoulders quickly, pretty nice huntin' rig. The crows are going to HATE it.

Bob posted an SSG that is self contained that I want to make for the Varmint. If I have time after work today, I want to finally get to that trigger and polish it up and shorten the sear.

I also need to pull the bolt and spring to measure the spring length and smooth the bolt. I also want to slug the barrel again so I can finalize my NSA order.

Reactions: Gmon
I got inside the AEA HP Varmint today and stoned the sear and trigger catch as well as polished the bolt and probe. I also turned the hammer and polished off all the black phosphate then sharpened the hammer shoulder for a crisper break. Worked in a good coat of molly and added a tiny dollop to the sear and pivots, rubbed it into the hammer shoulder and body.

I didn't touch the trigger springs yet as the trigger is right at 2# now. It still has creep but as a single stage trigger, removing more creep would make a bump-fire a possibility.

The hammer spring is still a bear to pull back but I got a good 30% less pull just from polishing the bolt and adjusting the ball-end set screw out a turn.

Just got my first rounds through my brand new varmint this afternoon, I love the folding stock and didn't get the skeletonized but so I am just using a super cheap plastic but and it works very well for my needs.

I'm looking at making a balanced valve as well as pulling the trigger group and polishing that up as well as swapping out Springs to see if I can't smooth the trigger up some and get just a wee bit more power.

This will be my hunting rig so I only need two mags worth of shots, I have scuba bottles to reair when I need to refill.

I'm also replacing the aluminum air tank with a 43 l carbon fiber tank both to save weight and I find the balance to be better with a lighter tank up in front.

I got inside the AEA HP Varmint today and stoned the sear and trigger catch as well as polished the bolt and probe. I also turned the hammer and polished off all the black phosphate then sharpened the hammer shoulder for a crisper break. Worked in a good coat of molly and added a tiny dollop to the sear and pivots, rubbed it into the hammer shoulder and body.

I didn't touch the trigger springs yet as the trigger is right at 2# now. It still has creep but as a single stage trigger, removing more creep would make a bump-fire a possibility.

The hammer spring is still a bear to pull back but I got a good 30% less pull just from polishing the bolt and adjusting the ball-end set screw out a turn.

I'll have to try some heavy ones, so far, mine does not like 36gr or 31gr slugs.
I've done just about everything you could think of to my 25 varmint I've increased the foot pounds to over 91 foot pounds NSA slugs Mr hollow point and a few others I've shot up to 55 grain slugs accuracy is that good with slugs so I have mine tuned to about 60 foot pounds I put a 700cc air tank carbon fiber and also a regulator I am getting about 90 good shots shooting pellets they're more accurate I went for power at first I know I can do whatever I want with this gun and now I am shooting for accuracy and shot count I can also turn it down and get a lot more shots these guns are easy to work on my regulator I used one that fit right on from a brock sniper 25cal works perfectly also the Benjamin dome pellets shoot straight at higher velocities

Reactions: silvershooter589
If I get a second one, it will be a .22 and I'll look at a regulator from Huma. I may throw my 700cc bottle on that one for the shot count but like all my .22's, it's gotta shoot CPHP's! ;)

I've done just about everything you could think of to my 25 varmint I've increased the foot pounds to over 91 foot pounds NSA slugs Mr hollow point and a few others I've shot up to 55 grain slugs accuracy is that good with slugs so I have mine tuned to about 60 foot pounds I put a 700cc air tank carbon fiber and also a regulator I am getting about 90 good shots shooting pellets they're more accurate I went for power at first I know I can do whatever I want with this gun and now I am shooting for accuracy and shot count I can also turn it down and get a lot more shots these guns are easy to work on my regulator I used one that fit right on from a brock sniper 25cal works perfectly also the Benjamin dome pellets shoot straight at higher velocities

IMG_20220924_183600861.jpg

Just got a single load tray yesterday off of ebay and loaded the 47.7gr BTRN home cast slugs but they shotguned all over the target at just 30m.

Very frustrated until I looked at the gun right before putting it back in the rack, only to discover that I hadn't tightened the power wheel when I opened it up for slugs!

Sigh...

I'll get back to the bench Friday with a tightened power wheel and try the 47.7gr slugs once again.