AEA AEA max power valve upgrade problems, buyer beware

I recently learned about the max power upgrade valve for the challenger and challenger bullpup big bores. I had to try it. The 1st video I saw was the Mr hollowpoint video. In that video he tests 3 weights, the lightest of which is 260 grain. Then I watched the bin tac video of how to install the valve, then I ordered it.

I received it and installed it. The first time I took it out, it worked wonderfully and exceeded my expectations. The second time, my velocities were down. I thought maybe it was a location, temp, barometric pressure or some such issue, I had observed some variance in performance with the gun before upgrading it. Before I could get all the data I wanted, the gun stopped cocking, I had to go home.

Turns out it was just a positioning problem with the bullpup trigger group and I hadn't tightened the screws enough, simple fix.

Went out the next day, and velocities were down even more. More than elevation, barometric pressure, and temp should account for. To give you an idea, in the stock configuration, the gun made about 900 FPS with a 200 grain slug, plus or minus a little depending on the day. After the upgrade, the same slugs were going 1145 FPS. Thats a difference between 400ish FPE and 580 FPE. I also tested a 366 grain and it made 706 FPE. Then on the subsequent two shooting days it made less and less velocity, until now, and it essentially indistinguishable from stock. Something is wrong, I message bin tac. Today he has his helper Jason message me. Here's the convo:

Screenshot_20230807_154401_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20230807_154408_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20230807_154414_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20230807_154421_Messages.jpg

I never heard that it isn't for light slugs. They don't mention anything about not using light slugs in the product description. I can't think of a reason why using light slugs would be a problem. Mr hollowpoint used 260 grains in the test. Is that light? The lightest I can make that still fit in the mag are 240 grains. If I couldn't use the magazine anymore I wouldn't have bought it. Even if i did only ever want to use heavy slugs, they are making energy comparable to stock valve again now too, its not just the light slugs. I think this response is B.S., if you don't like it send it back and we'll sell it to someone who wants it? WTF kinda response is that?

Last edited:
Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Try a good deep cleaning of the barrel. Slugs deposit a lot more lead on the way down the tube. You may just have a restricted bore.

Do you lube?
Lube? There is swage lube that's on them when I make them if thats what you mean, yes. I had just cleaned the barrel before testing the first time. Fired it about 60 times that time. Even fewer the 2nd. Id be amazed if a dirty barrel accounts for that much decrease in velocity. It never decreased it before that I noticed, and certainly not by such a huge margin

Last edited:
Do you know what enhancements were made to the new valve design to increase performance?

If it was larger porting, that should increase flow and help with lighter slugs (higher velocity).

If it was done with easier opening or a balance chamber, that could increase the dwell duration and help get more energy with heavier projectiles.

In a balanced valve, I’ve had issues when the balance chamber comes loose or the back of the valve backs out (unscrews), resulting in less and less FPE.

Without seeing the construction of the high performance valve, it’s difficult to diagnose.

Do you know what enhancements were made to the new valve design to increase performance?

If it was larger porting, that should increase flow and help with lighter slugs (higher velocity).

If it was done with easier opening or a balance chamber, that could increase the dwell duration and help get more energy with heavier projectiles.

In a balanced valve, I’ve had issues when the balance chamber comes loose or the back of the valve backs out (unscrews), resulting in less and less FPE.

Without seeing the construction of the high performance valve, it’s difficult to diagnose.
Well you've put more effort into figuring it out than bin tac, that's for sure. What I can say is the hammer spring and how hard it hits is the same ( unless my spring has weakened substantially over 150 or so shots)

So I assume that either it lets more air through, or the valve stays open longer, or both. It uses a higher fill pressure too though. The first time I tested it, both heavy and light slugs went much faster than with the old valve

Well I took it out today and it made 650 FPE with a 366 grain, and 600ish with a 240 grain, so idk what to think. All I did was drain the air, and swap out the Guage at the end.

Texted bin tacs helper Jason and let him know it made 600 FPe with a 240 grain. Asked if I am or am not supposed to use light slugs with it. Trying to call their B.S. about the slugs, if indeed they were B.S.ing me. Told him if I'm not supposed to use slugs light enough to fit in the magazine with the max power valve that I'd like to return the valve. Will see what he says. If it makes 600 FPE with a 240 grain all the time I'll be happy with it

Last edited:
Well I took it out today and it made 650 FPE with a 366 grain, and 600ish with a 240 grain, so idk what to think. All I did was drain the air, and swap out the Guage at the end.

Texted bin tacs helper Jason and let him know it made 600 FPe with a 240 grain. Asked if I am or am not supposed to use light slugs with it. Trying to call their B.S. about the slugs, if indeed they were B.S.ing me. Told him if I'm not supposed to use slugs light enough to fit in the magazine with the max power valve that I'd like to return the valve. Will see what he says. If it makes 600 FPE with a 240 grain all the time I'll be happy with it
Do you have anything new on the valve?

So I did some more testing. I should've shot the 370 grain slugs when I had a full 4500 fill on my tank but I shot the 240s first. The 240s averaged 1040 FPS when tethered to my tank, which is about 576 FPE. I'm happy with that. The 370s made up 872, 869 and 865 FPS which is around 620 FPE. Next time I'll try those when I'm full. So it seems to be working, still no word from bin tac on whether or not I'm "supposed to" shoot light slugs or not