• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA HP SS Semi auto issue. Any ideas?

Hey folks, I have a new .25 AEA HP SS Semi auto. First round fires great. After that, I’m having issues with the bolt not completely cycling forward in semi auto. This is when the magazine is inserted and loaded. On the second shot, the bolt gets 85% forward then gets stuck. Pushing forward on the bolt usually fixes the issue. I have cleaned and lubed everything I can think of and and it doesn’t seem to help. I have been shooting JSB 25.39 King Diablo exclusively, roughly 40 rounds through it so far.

The semi auto functions great without a magazine inserted. But when I slow down the action, the bolt does seem to hang ever so slightly when entering the chamber unloaded. It’s almost as if the magazine and pellet are adding just enough resistance to the bolt to stop it from fully loading the pellet into the chamber in semi auto.

This issue happens at all operational pressures.

This seems beyond normal break in, but this is my first AEA.

Any ideas on how to fix?

Thank you!

Your mag’s spring may be wound too tightly.

I know mine is! Oh. wait, we're talking airguns... I had an issue with my semi-auto AEA, but it sounds a bit different since yours if doing it at all pressures. Mine would not auto cycle over 2600 psi. Below that it worked fine. It almost sounds like your bolt isn't aligned correctly and it's having a hard time fully seating the pellet. Who did you purchase it from? Both U.S. dealers seem to be very responsive to issue. I purchased from eBay, and Bin was very helpful when I had issues.

Thanks everyone.

I’m leaning towards magazine friction causing the issue. Even with a fully unloaded magazine the problem presents itself, so I don’t think it’s the mag spring winding. 

No mag, no problem.

There is noticeable wear on the mag, from the sliding bar that the mag seats on. My thinking is this bar is dragging on the magazine, slowing the action.

A54CFC66-4B24-4C7D-97D3-DD53068D996D.1612660768.jpeg

Hey everyone, I wanted to follow up. I think I solved the issue. Upon close inspection, I noticed the clear magazine cover hole for the sliding seating rod was not perfect. The rod was dragging on this and also a bit on the mag seat channel itself. I had to sand down the clear plastic magazine cover hole to make it line up with the channel. I also lightly sanded the channel itself. The gun now cycles in semi auto properly! Thanks to everyone for your help. I hope this post can help others who may have this issue. 

just found this older thread through a search, i recently purch a used 22 cal AEA HP semi auto, got 2 mags , 1 = unusable looks like the clear cover screw hole is too large, the 2nd mag worked great for 4 loads & now the 2nd shot gets jammed ( pellet gets deformed & hard to remove, long story short, anyone have any luck repairing these mags ?  i tried to adjust tension on the cover, no luck..

I'm having the same issue with my HP SS .30+

Have double fed the chamber more than a couple times trying to clear the jam. Luckily so far I've been able to shoot it all out the barrel.

There is definitely some stiction or friction apparently in the magazine. The covers seem "loose" so I'm thinking the seating rod hole/groove may well be the issue.

If I am successfully able to resolve this I'll let y'all know. I'm sure my supplier Pete at AEA Northeast would be more than happy to help with this (great service), but I think this should be simple enough without wasting his time. I'm certainly in the market for a higher quality magazine or two though, either way. The CNC magazines that unfortunately didn't ship with the product looked pretty great.

Other than this one issue I give the gun very high marks especially for the fun factor.

I did loosen up one of the magazines and so far so good. **Except for one thing I will mention below** Haven't had the chance to shoot it much since though.

There is definitely some noticeable friction in the action/cocking regardless of there being a magazine inserted or not. The mechanism doesn't appear very lubricated so I'll get it with some silicone oil next time I get a chance to shoot.

I also have the AEA Challenger 357 and even though that requires more effort to pull back the bolt, it's well lubricated and does so smoothly.

** Important point here, I think. I was given a tin of Hatsan Vortex .30 pellets with the gun. Even after I loosened up the magazine I got a jam. I managed to pull the mag and the pellet was deformed at the skirt and also had a groove on the top. So I compared the Vortex pellets to three JSB .30 pellets I have... Exact 44.75, Exact 50.15, and Hades 44.75. HUGE difference in how stout and also precise these JSB skirts are compared to the Hatsans. The Hatsans look like garbage side by side.

Something tells me that same misfire would not have occurred with the JSB pellets since the skirt would have been stout enough to work anyway. So from this point forward I will only be using JSB and FX pellets in this gun (the FX are identical afaik).

I'm having the same issue with my HP SS .30+

Have double fed the chamber more than a couple times trying to clear the jam. Luckily so far I've been able to shoot it all out the barrel.

There is definitely some stiction or friction apparently in the magazine. The covers seem "loose" so I'm thinking the seating rod hole/groove may well be the issue.

If I am successfully able to resolve this I'll let y'all know. I'm sure my supplier Pete at AEA Northeast would be more than happy to help with this (great service), but I think this should be simple enough without wasting his time. I'm certainly in the market for a higher quality magazine or two though, either way. The CNC magazines that unfortunately didn't ship with the product looked pretty great.

Other than this one issue I give the gun very high marks especially for the fun factor.

i would be interested in a couple of better mags also (22 cal)

Quick follow up

I silicone lubed every moving part of the slide and contact points of metal. Then I manually operated the slide hundreds of times, and it got smoother. Then I continued to do so either pressing down or up on the bolt in order to break in any further points of friction. Then shot 3 mags of JSB 44.75 with zero issues. The entire mechanism is much smoother. It's really night and day in terms of smooth action now.

At least in my case, correcting the tolerances on the magazine, then making sure I use the right pellets, and then lubricating and breaking in the mechanism seems to have resolved the issue entirely. If not I will come back and report.

My AEA HP SS.22 has a regulator, and the pressure is maintained at 12~18mpa, but the muzzle velocity of each shot will decrease a little bit. Does anyone have this problem?
227m/s
225m/s
225m/s
X
222m/s
222m/s
220m/s
217m/s
213m/s
213m/s
The above started shooting from 18MPA, a total of 10 rounds, the muzzle velocity has been decreasing, I obviously have a regulator

My AEA HP SS.22 has a regulator, and the pressure is maintained at 12~18mpa, but the muzzle velocity of each shot will decrease a little bit. Does anyone have this problem?
227m/s
225m/s
225m/s
X
222m/s
222m/s
220m/s
217m/s
213m/s
213m/s
The above started shooting from 18MPA, a total of 10 rounds, the muzzle velocity has been decreasing, I obviously have a regulator

What type of regulator are you using?

227m/s
225m/s
225m/s
X
222m/s
222m/s
220m/s
217m/s
213m/s
213m/s

What type of regulator are you using?

IMG_20210809_021718.1628447211.jpg
IMG_20210809_021723.1628447217.jpg
AEA original regulator

Well I finally got some pellets in today (hatsan vortex strikers in .30 cal.) So I shot my AEA assassin back packer for the first time and with one 9 shot mag. I got it sighted in but then the next magazine I was having all kind of problems, shooting way low and not recycling. Finally figured out that the power adjuster had moved. I didn't know that you had to set it where you wanted it and then tighten up the screw on the other side. All is well now.