• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

AEA HP SS Plus+ at the range, it’s a riot!

Finally took my new AEA HPSS Plus+ in .25 to the range today for couple of houses. And boy is it a fun gun! 

As many of you already know it is a semi automatic with a very stiff trigger. Zeroed at 25 yards and with the TP 1/3 below max the NSA 26 grain .25 slugs flies pretty darn consistent 775 fps average or about 35 FPE. I get 4 full mags or 40 shots from 3500 to 2200 PSI or the preferred pressure or the green range on the gauge so quite happy with that.

Accuracy is pretty good but not easy to shoot a group because trigger is really quite stiff but I didn’t buy it for shooting groups. Best groups at 25 yards, 1/2 inch i think. 

2AA8BB24-BC38-4E7B-8D94-785811D0743E.1642988872.jpeg

At 50 yards it’s not all that bad with that trigger, averaging 1.5 inch groups. 
BE220AAF-C4A3-4569-88BA-7D187044B517.1642988985.jpeg

3B3B9895-96FB-41CC-97C4-3FB57DEA674D.1642990313.jpeg

Also shot at rocks on the berm at 120 yards and to my surprise it’s pretty descent. My guess is about 2 inch pretty consistent, no issues hitting bigger rocks. 

packed up and moved to the silhouette range and that where the gun really got started. 

F6DC51E5-E857-4419-8723-B8D367BC1637.1642989177.jpeg

Rapid firing at 25 yard steel targets, knocking them down one after another, I was giggling like a little girl. I was even knocking down 50 yard reel targets freehanded because shooting while testing on the tank was too easy! The targets are fairly large at 50 yards, most are 4 inch squares. With a rest I can consistently hit the 2 inch steel spiner. This thing is just too much fun!!! Need to order at least 2 more mags.

few gripes:

- very stiff trigger but it’s no secret and very crisp so good tactical trigger

- bolt to load the mag is very stiff or hard to load mag. Definitely child proof if you unload properly, really hurts my finger so maybe I’ll print a bigger handle. 
- the mags are pretty cheap and one broke already, the spring snapped it appears

- the slugs didn’t always load smoothly but seems to get better with more use

for the money it’s damn awesome! Not suburban backyard friendly but not too loud either. Excellent power and accuracy from the little 10 inch barrel and semi auto functioned very well except for the few time I had issues with the mag. Overall it’s a riot for cheap!!! Is a L2 better? I’m sure it is but I’m pretty sure it isn’t 4x better! 

If the triggers were better in the aea semi auto they would sell a lot more…. I’ve got a Leshiy2 but would buy the aea just play with if the trigger was better.

the trigger is stiff but not bad, it’s very crisp and breaks very nicely. It feels like a good AR trigger, it’s a semi auto so it’s not safe to have 1lb trigger. I was rapid firing it’s felt pretty awesome, it would be nice to be 1lb lighter or 3-4 lb range. It certainly worth a try, besides the mag it really feels very close to an AR. 

Reactions: MWS
qball, very good review! Your groups match what I am getting from my .22. I still get occasional misfires, but a good internal shroud cleaning and action oiling remedies that.

Too bad about the mags, they are a weak point.

Agree, 100% fun to shoot. For me, the gun is a great can shooter.

Lastly, Bob over at Bison Workshop makes a larger knurled cocking knob, this makes it easier on the fingers.

qball, very good review! Your groups match what I am getting from my .22. I still get occasional misfires, but a good internal shroud cleaning and action oiling remedies that.

Too bad about the mags, they are a weak point.

Agree, 100% fun to shoot. For me, the gun is a great can shooter.

Lastly, Bob over at Bison Workshop makes a larger knurled cocking knob, this makes it easier on the fingers.

oh man I am gonna have to get that knob!!! 

dude! This thing will be a riot with a pile of cans!!! The feel, balance and even the trigger all work well together, I am confident that I can poke 10 holes a can in a hurry!!! I knocked down 10 3 inch squares at 25 yards freehand in under 10 seconds. Too much fun! 

That mag issues seems really irksome. @davidsng had one shatter on him in cold weather. Maybe CARM will develop some decent aftermarket mags. Is the trigger adjustable? If not, does it look easily modifiable? Sounds like you’re literally having a blast!

I made a request to CARM for some mags, he is considering it.

Reactions: RAMJET66
That mag issues seems really irksome. @davidsng had one shatter on him in cold weather. Maybe CARM will develop some decent aftermarket mags. Is the trigger adjustable? If not, does it look easily modifiable? Sounds like you’re literally having a blast!

yes, the mag is cheap but not much worse than crosman mags. The trigger can’t be adjusted but some have polished the sheer and a lot of people said it got better with use. However a heavy trigger isn’t all bad as long as you are not trying to shoot tightest groups, I have my crowns and impact with 11oz trigger for that. When I was rapid firing it felt great and natural, it was crisp and positive or a good heavy/tactical firearm trigger. Please don’t look done on or criticize the heavy trigger till you tried the gun in rapid firing mode, it’s very good! 

carm mags would be awesome on the AEA!!

@qball I did the same as you, thought I ordered a 22 cal and got a 25. Even bought a bunch of 22 pellets for it at the same time, not sure how I did it but did. So far the gun has worked perfect. I agree the trigger is stiff but reminds me of a stock ar trigger. The magazines are the the only real downside to the gun. I am getting 4 magazines also per fill and is a blast to shoot. I shot a group yesterday and did pretty good shooting the baracuda hunter extreme 28grain at 25yards. Seems to work fine with all the pellets and slugs I have tried.

20220122_155841.1643034277.jpg

Reactions: qball
@Ezana4CE: I will definitely email darko about the mags!!!

@nelson86m: I swear I ordered the .22 and you experienced the same thing so I’m guessing there might have been a glitch in the system. Although after using it I’m fine with it being .25 since the much heavier .25 ammo is good on steel targets, doubt some of the heavier steel targets will fall with 14.3 pellets at 50 yards. That’s an excellent group with that “stock” trigger. 

It's great to see someone enjoying their SS Plus as well. I'm in a handful of the AEA groups on facebook, and half of the posts are complaints and trouble shooting.

It is a great gun once the issues are ironed out by the end user for sure. It's funny how you bring up the Leshy though. I was actually thinking about swinging by Topgun Airguns and actually handle one of their .30 Cal Leshy REPRs in 350mm.

Even though my AEA SS Plus in .30 has been my go to pest control work horse since last summer, I would like to experience the fillet mignon of compact, semi-auto, air guns. 

It's great to see someone enjoying their SS Plus as well. I'm in a handful of the AEA groups on facebook, and half of the posts are complaints and trouble shooting.

It is a great gun once the issues are ironed out by the end user for sure. It's funny how you bring up the Leshy though. I was actually thinking about swinging by Topgun Airguns and actually handle one of their .30 Cal Leshy REPRs in 350mm.

Even though my AEA SS Plus in .30 has been my go to pest control work horse since last summer, I would like to experience the fillet mignon of compact, semi-auto, air guns.

L2 is indeed fillet mignon of compact, semi auto airguns!!! 👍👍😂😂

Sadly that’s also why I don’t have one, I simply don’t have a use for it besides some plinking fun which I have to go to a range to do. I spent grand total just shy of 600 dollars including shipping which is less than some people’s L2 upgrades so I don’t feel bad not shooting the HP SS much.

Reactions: SHOMER
I just watched a video on the .357 HP standard . Very cool little gun, that sure packs a wholop with that short barrel. I’d like to see the internals on these to see exactly how they are making such big power. Would be nice to see a sidelever model . I’m thinking the hammer spring is quite a chore to cock.

The HP SS Max is the same gun as Plus without semi auto. The reason for its ability to get higher power needed for 357 in such short barrel is they are unregulated and 300 bars air pressure, but at higher air pressure semiauto mechanism won’t work. Keep in mind the gun has 3 full power shot with 357.

The posts that are complaints are from a small percentage of AEA owners. Granted that the small percentage of people are having serious problems but the majority of us are having loads of fun with the AEA brand. I do have to admit that the magazine gripes are legit. I wish someone would start making some out of aluminum.

My only other complaint is availability of parts for upgrading. My AEA HP SS .30 works great but I would like to get a 10" barrel for it. I always hear about how adaptable they are but can't do anything without parts.

The posts that are complaints are from a small percentage of AEA owners. Granted that the small percentage of people are having serious problems but the majority of us are having loads of fun with the AEA brand. I do have to admit that the magazine gripes are legit. I wish someone would start making some out of aluminum.

My only other complaint is availability of parts for upgrading. My AEA HP SS .30 works great but I would like to get a 10" barrel for it. I always hear about how adaptable they are but can't do anything without parts.
I do have a Leshiy now, but I do miss my SS Plus. I missed it so much I decided to trade my .357 big 9 bullpup for an HP carbine. That was a huge mistake. I couldn’t get the Semi auto to work, and now it’s bolt action with an inline regulator.