AEA HP SS Plus .22 tuning.

I picked up an AEA HP SS Plus .22 this past week. I have watched all the videos and most people seem to be into it for power. I wanted one as a fun plinker to hunt pop cans and purchased it with intentions of turning down the power if possible.

First big props to the Pellet Shop. I asked Bin for an extra hammer spring. He said no problem and asked what size t-shirt I wear. Thanks Bin!

Out of the box the gun ran flawlessly but was running way hotter than I needed and was just slamming itself as it cycled.

I took it to bits and polished everything I could. Pushing pellets into the barrel they would stop at the tp and took a bit of force to push past. I removed the burs from the transfer port and also slightly opened up the breach end to give a little wiggle room for the pellet to make the jump from mag to barrel.

Out of the box it took a painful amount of pull to get the bolt back far enough to insert the magazine. I am assuming they use the same hammer spring for all the hp calibers.

Being semi auto I was not sure how much hammer spring I could take off and have it still function. I just cut one off at a time until it would no longer cycle with a mag but would without.

I opened up the valve and like the hammer had a really stout spring with a lot of preload. I clipped two off, one at a time testing between.

This jumped the velocity back up and the gun would function again. I ended up at 2.5 off the valve spring, just to where it has preload and not sure how many off the hammer.

Gun now has a much better feeling shot cycle. Pulling the bolt back to insert a mag is much easier. Hopefully this will also extend the life of the valve stem. They seem to be a common fail point as I was researching the guns.

My tanks are low on air but from a 2,600 psi fill I started at 870fps with mag one and ended at 750fps with the fifth mag. So guessing with a 2,900 fill I should get five mags in the 820-870 range.

Now the downside of the Plus version over the non plus I didn’t realize. The plus version fills from the low pressure side of the bottle so no regulators are available. The non plus fills from the end of the cylinder and Huma makes a drop in reg. I should have got the non plus. I would have added the Huma and run this thing at 750-780. The cycle becomes very calm as this speed.

BBB5C516-D168-4A3B-A6DD-5A46D0BBC572.jpeg

2EE95E8B-907A-48EE-8CC2-94E00FF32357.jpeg

37635F3A-E9C0-4353-8DEF-4DF36743D401.jpeg

0F8B4959-14C0-48D9-A993-D497EA64C2B8.jpeg

04673CF9-2835-4CB5-B2AC-C9BDBEFCA54E.jpeg

0E2B8B25-2896-48F0-AC2F-600B07D58C0F.jpeg

0922227B-2CF2-4D31-85B7-42DD9F62876E.jpeg

5DBF9430-21F1-4679-A4AA-50EAEC290CA8.jpeg

I posted earlier about polishing all the parts. It ran smooth but still felt like things were slamming and making a lot of mechanical noise.

The cylinder ping was an easy fix. I just made a depinger out of a random plastic bottle. This helped a lot but made the mechanical noise even more noticeable.

I ended up adding a few orings to dampen. I adjusted the charging rod so right as the charging handle makes contact the front section hits. So neither side is taking full force of the cycle.

I also added a few small orings on the guide rod. It is not seeing any impact but did dampen the metal to metal ring.

It still cycles as it should but is so much quieter. Most of the noise now seems to come from the movement inside the shroud ringing.

Almost 1,500 pellets through it and seems legit. One mag did fail.

ABEE4C1D-C44D-4974-B748-A77D65E3E64D.jpeg

1FCA6BFB-26EF-477C-B91B-3CE6F09987B8.jpeg

3A38CFB8-EAE2-4BE5-8357-6A1881364ADA.jpeg

D9699E12-22B8-4070-A3E9-A21B9893FA80.jpeg

0D3B42DA-46FB-4302-974D-220CDEF10031.jpeg

0B4CD6FD-F304-454D-91E3-5F0A913C7076.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Perle and RAMJET66
CJ, what lube did you wind up with on all the metal to metal sliding surfaces?
How is the simi-auto function holding up?
Talk about a late response. I just saw this almost a year later. I used Super Lube silicone.

I don’t shoot it often maybe once or twice every few months. But every time i do it still has air and function perfectly.

Reactions: Perle
I copied your polish and spring tuning. That solved the heavy bolt hold open and softened the cycling. I also tuned the trigger to 3.5lbs, eliminated the creep and added an overtravel screw behind the trigger.
The barrel really was very accurate with 18gr FX & JSB pellets.
Around a tin of pellets later, during the firing cycle, at least 1 pellet per magazine would follow the bolt probe rearward, getting stuck in the hammer/trigger area. I increased the op-rod spring tension, thinking that it had relaxed some. This didn't help.
I finally discovered that a worn breech O-ring was to blame. After replacing it, flawless cycling resumed.
The factory magazines don't hold up for long. Both that came with the gun failed within 1k rounds. I bought another one but having no faith in them, I asked Carm to adapt his design to the AEA HP & bolt action platform but he declined due to no access to the gun's. I contacted Maple Custom Products (ebay) and he offered to work with me if I'd send him a functional magazine. After some trials, he produced a 10 rnd and a 15 rnd magazine that function perfectly. They are very well made and resemble Carm's design but with Maple Custom's flavor. They are so much better than the factory mags! He hasn't listed them yet on ebay but promptly responds to inquiries.

This HP SS + was my 1st PCP and quite a learning experience. Since getting a Huben K1, the HP SS has moved on to a new owner who is very happy with it.

20240504_131943.jpg

Reactions: hgg2k and Perle
I copied your polish and spring tuning. That solved the heavy bolt hold open and softened the cycling. I also tuned the trigger to 3.5lbs, eliminated the creep and added an overtravel screw behind the trigger.
The barrel really was very accurate with 18gr FX & JSB pellets.
Around a tin of pellets later, during the firing cycle, at least 1 pellet per magazine would follow the bolt probe rearward, getting stuck in the hammer/trigger area. I increased the op-rod spring tension, thinking that it had relaxed some. This didn't help.
I finally discovered that a worn breech O-ring was to blame. After replacing it, flawless cycling resumed.
The factory magazines don't hold up for long. Both that came with the gun failed within 1k rounds. I bought another one but having no faith in them, I asked Carm to adapt his design to the AEA HP & bolt action platform but he declined due to no access to the gun's. I contacted Maple Custom Products (ebay) and he offered to work with me if I'd send him a functional magazine. After some trials, he produced a 10 rnd and a 15 rnd magazine that function perfectly. They are very well made and resemble Carm's design but with Maple Custom's flavor. They are so much better than the factory mags! He hasn't listed them yet on ebay but promptly responds to inquiries.

This HP SS + was my 1st PCP and quite a learning experience. Since getting a Huben K1, the HP SS has moved on to a new owner who is very happy with it.

View attachment 463681
Finally someone makes a Carm like 3d for the HPs.

I’ll definitely reach out to them

He has the 10rnd mag listed on his website:

https://maplecustomproducts.com/products/aea-hp-varmint-magazine.

He says NOT to use them in the simi-auto but they worked fine in mine by taking off the cover and rotating the rotor 1 additional turn against its spring.
He probably doesn't want to assume liability for mishaps. However, he would probably work with you.

Brian

I wondered how long the o'rings would hold up. What does the two o'rings at the end of the barrel do for you? Serve as a buffer? The spool does not contact the end of the barrel so are you getting a reduction in vibration by just kissing the spool with the o'rings?

You are getting a remarkable consistent velocity out of your first 3 mags. I have not been able to get nowhere near that even with 3600 psi. I though, go for velocity so I have used weaker springs on the poppet but found in my case it used more air. I have not though trimmed a hammer spring. I use bigger handles to minimize the cocking force. Good thread.

20230730_162643.jpg

Reactions: Perle