AEA HP SS PLUS 22 CAL HARD COCKING

i received this a/gun on jan 2 this year , & had a buddy cock it , as i was coming down with pneumonia & was weak to get it done, i shot a mag & 1/2 thru it put it away till i healed up , well i can not cock the friggen thing , it has a way heavier spring than the 1st gen hp ss semi auto , which i can cock , any way i broke my right hand in 2013 & didn't go to a doctor , i thought i just had a sprained thumb, it didn't heal correctly, so i do not have a grip like i used to , left hand thumb is bone on bone arthritis , so it's pretty much useless, any way i have a new toy & can't use it unless some one is around to load the damm mag for me , Question , anyone else have the HP SS plus & experencing the really heavy spring ?

When I had my AEA HPBP, I could have sworn the bolt was welded to the breech! It was so freaking hard, that I could only cock it 3 or 4 times and then I would have to put the gun away, as the palm of my hand was too sore. And this was with a gun that didn't have a strong spring, so I can only imagine exactly how hard yours is to cock! 

One of the main reasons I sold it was the cocking effort and the trigger weight.

I’m trying to imagine that - I wonder if there were manufacturing defects. I have a higher power HP and while it takes some force, i don’t find it too bad, though I noticed that if I had an injury or any kind of grip issue and it would be very hard. It takes enough force that I always find myself putting my thumb on the back of the block behind the bolt and squeezing as well as pulling back with my forearm - 

wish I knew more about lubricant but I believe something like krytox might be good to smooth out metal-on-metal galling if that is a factor in your guns.

Reactions: Dogowsky
I sprayed dry graphite on all the moving parts of my HP Carbine and that helped loosen the bolt up. But yeah, it is tough to pull back at first.
i know this is a old thread , but i didnt receive a reply, has anyone come up with a remedy for the Very hard cocking of the AEA HP SS + ? I purchased it new 2022 & have less than 3 mags shot Thru it, TIA

I made a longer bolt handle for all of mine. They do cock hard. When I got my first carbine I thught something was broke. But no that is the way they are. If you tear one down and polish all the parts that helps some. But putting a larger handle on is the best remedy. Do not mix Krytox with petroleum lubricants. Left to right original and progresively larger bolt handles.

20230730_162643.jpg

The magazines for the HP series can be an issue. By far the biggest problem I have is the spring slipping out of the retention hole rendering the mag useless. What I do is lengthen the spring leg that fits into the hole. If you bend the leg at slight angle toward the winding direction it seems to stay anchored better in the hole. I still have most of my original mags but I do have extra springs to rebuild when necessary.

Reactions: pcponly
The magazines for the HP series can be an issue. By far the biggest problem I have is the spring slipping out of the retention hole rendering the mag useless. What I do is lengthen the spring leg that fits into the hole. If you bend the leg at slight angle toward the winding direction it seems to stay anchored better in the hole. I still have most of my original mags but I do have extra springs to rebuild when necessary.
Where do you get springs for magazines?
I was looking at torsion springs on Aliexpress and found some.
What springs are you using?

I have the OEM springs from the Pellet Shop. Supposedy new and improved. If you lighten the hammer spring it does cock easier. It also don't shoot as hard. You have to balance the poppet spring with the hammer spring to do what you are attempting. Tearing down the insides and poishing does more for the smoothness than hammer spring change and does not affect velocity. I have made many handles for members here and else where and that by far is the best way to make the cocking esperience better. Changing to bolt action does nothing for cocking effort.

The binding you feel on the cocking effort is largly due to the cocking lever pushing at an angle on the hammer. This causes the hammer to cock slightly binding into the spring quide. Only way I have found to help this is to bevel the holes in the hammer that the spring guide rides in. This minimizes the binding that the sharp edges in the hammer holes have from the factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perle
I've tuned many AEA HP's for people and I polish everything on the lathe. I replace poppet with PEEK , lighten trigger, recrown muzzle, and add a large bolt handle. They smoothup nicely. I lube with Super Lube, Triflow, or Krytox, depending on what the owner wants. I generally dry spray all parts with spray PTFE let dry then lube. I have not had luck in these rifles with MOLY.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perle and RAMJET66
I've tuned many AEA HP's for people and I polish everything on the lathe. I replace poppet with PEEK , lighten trigger, recrown muzzle, and add a large bolt handle. They smoothup nicely. I lube with Super Lube, Triflow, or Krytox, depending on what the owner wants. I generally dry spray all parts with spray PTFE let dry then lube. I have not had luck in these rifles with MOLY.
You did mine and they all rock.
Your bolt handle makes all the difference

0AD3C313-EFBB-43A4-BDA7-9239DE82828C.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: Sicumj