AEA AEA HP SS .25 Blowback Action in 960 FPS Slow Motion

hgg2k

Apr 29, 2021
Greece
You can have a look at the blowback action of the AEA HP SS .25 cal in 960fps slow motion.

There are two videos showing the action with a pressure of 200bar and 160bar.
It has pretty much the same timing. You can clearly see the violent bouncing of the
bolt at both ends. The clip reconfirms that the cycling action is working fine and that
all previous issues were with the magazines. If you go too high on pressure you might
have the bolt rebounding too far back and reloading another pellet or jamming.
It is also clear that you can go much lower in pressure from 160 bar, but I did not
try it because then you might damage the valve poppet when the hammer hits it
against low pressure.

• Wow
Reactions: Firewalker
Personally, I would never own a semi-automatic. I believe it can lead some to not prioritize accuracy with the first shot due to the rapid follow-up capability. Additionally, it's just one more component that could malfunction.
But you already know that, so you will aim correctly before the next shot...

After using the proper magazine, poppet valve and correct pressures, I never had a single hiccup with the HP SS.
AEA knew all these problems but they acted like they were non existent and destroyed a perfectly sound platform,
while the solution was pretty easy.

I would definitely own again a semi auto because its tons of fun, but I would never buy again anything AEA.

After using the proper magazine, poppet valve and correct pressures, I never had a single hiccup with the HP SS.
AEA knew all these problems but they acted like they were non existent and destroyed a perfectly sound platform,

I would definitely own again a semi auto because its tons of fun, but I would never buy again anything AEA.
I have had my AEA 357 big bore for 3 years with zero problems.
  • Bolt-action airguns: Generally, bolt-action airguns are known for their exceptional accuracy. The manual bolt cycling ensures consistent pellet seating and minimal movement during shots.
  • Semi-automatic PCP airguns: While semi-autos can be accurate, they may not match the precision of bolt-action guns due to the inherent movement caused by cycling the action automatically. I'm a hunter, so the 1st shot is very importin.

Last edited:
You can have a look at the blowback action of the AEA HP SS .25 cal in 960fps slow motion.

There are two videos showing the action with a pressure of 200bar and 160bar.
It has pretty much the same timing. You can clearly see the violent bouncing of the
bolt at both ends. The clip reconfirms that the cycling action is working fine and that
all previous issues were with the magazines. If you go too high on pressure you might
have the bolt rebounding too far back and reloading another pellet or jamming.
It is also clear that you can go much lower in pressure from 160 bar, but I did not
try it because then you might damage the valve poppet when the hammer hits it
against low pressure.

You can go 50 bar with zero valve damage. Don't fire empty, that pushes the stem beyond the preload springs ability to return it and the stem crashes.

The blowback plate has 8 holes in it allowing air to the piston, blocking them (6 on my case) with spent .22lr casings, reduces piston pressure and acceleration.

This eliminated the secondary bounce and reduced penetration velocity when picking up the next pellet.

The probe can puncture the pellet skirt and hold on to the pellet, jamming it into the trigger pack/hammer void. The velocity of the piston is the key to reducing secondary bounce, not bars of pressure.

They are not related directly, the valve dwell time is linear to an extent.

AEA was adamant about operating the airgun below 160bar when I asked them about the broken poppet.

>>The blowback plate has 8 holes in it allowing air to the piston, blocking them (6 on my case) with spent .22lr casings, reduces piston pressure and acceleration.

Before replacing the magazine spring with a stronger one, that was what I did to reduce the blowback.
I covered 4 of the 8 holes. It worked but the effect was not so strong. Maybe unscrewing the small
barrel, the one before the part with the 8 holes, will remove tension from the semi auto spring and
slow down the pellet probe. I have not tried that yet since the airgun now works fine.

>> The velocity of the piston is the key to reducing secondary bounce, not bars of pressure.

With less pressure you will have less blowback force and slower piston speed.
I wanted to film it with very low pressure to the point of failure but I didn't want to damage the magazine
and definitely not the poppet.

Reactions: Firewalker
Which part in your opinion might cause the inaccuracy?
Semi-auto air rifles have more moving parts compared to single-shot or bolt-action rifles. These additional components can introduce vibrations and affect accuracy.
The specific design of the semi-auto mechanism can impact accuracy. For example, the Benjamin Marauder Semi Auto (SAM) uses hammer bounce to cycle the action. The hammer functions as a piston, utilizing otherwise wasted air to force it against the pressure of the hammer spring.

AEA was adamant about operating the airgun below 160bar when I asked them about the broken poppet.

>>The blowback plate has 8 holes in it allowing air to the piston, blocking them (6 on my case) with spent .22lr casings, reduces piston pressure and acceleration.

Before replacing the magazine spring with a stronger one, that was what I did to reduce the blowback.
I covered 4 of the 8 holes. It worked but the effect was not so strong. Maybe unscrewing the small
barrel, the one before the part with the 8 holes, will remove tension from the semi auto spring and
slow down the pellet probe. I have not tried that yet since the airgun now works fine.

>> The velocity of the piston is the key to reducing secondary bounce, not bars of pressure.

With less pressure you will have less blowback force and slower piston speed. Consequently, you also get lower FPS.
I wanted to film it with very low pressure to the point of failure but I didn't want to damage the magazine
and definitely not the poppet.

so they update HP to SF.
You say need use correct pressure so SF adding regulator make the pressure not change.
You say use poppet valve. SF use new one.
You say need better magazines they have better CNC magazines.

Then you said AEA know it but do nothing?

Reactions: Perle and 357cal
so they update HP to SF.
You say need use correct pressure so SF adding regulator make the pressure not change.

That is a different model !
What happens with all the HP SS owners..?

Also, where can you find CNC magazines for the HP SF?

hi sir!In fact, CNC magazines available same time from the beginning of the HP series, but there are too many AEA products that many dealers themselves cannot understand. So they didn't place an order for AEA CNC magazine.
And SF's magazine and HP are universal. And there are also two types: plastic and CNC. Of course,
AEA has not appeared for a long time, so many product line details are not well-known to people.
9E669A04-AAD5-4EFB-9C43-2CDDA29F50E1.jpeg

so they update HP to SF.

I would buy another AEA pcp, they are receiving parts now. For the price range look at what they have. For accuracy they give FX a run for their money, Pro models for power, i don't think anyone can deny that one and constantly improving. There is only 1 or 2 other pcps that can equal that of the big 9 stock, it smokes the M357 , 30 cal long barrel Challenger is another power house just to name a few. Look where they started from and look where they are now. some of the Pcps from other makers are going for $ 2000.00 are you getting that much more? I dont think so, not from a hunting stand point.