• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA AEA HP Max tips and tricks

I just got my first PCP. Am AEA HP Max .457. So far I am loving it. I was advised by Bin at The Pellet Shop not to go below 3,200 psi, and as long as I do. I should not have any problems with the valve pin breaking. Which seems to be a common complaint. Also I hear a lot about how bad the magazines are, but after tightening the barrel. I have it cycling round better. Still working on it though. From what I have been reading. AEA put out a lot of crap in they're early days, but have gotten better. Also seem majority of semi autos are temperamental. Across the board I hear of the same problems with some of the more expensive brands. Losing air, ect.
What do you recommend for care, tips, and mods that have been successful for you?

I've purchased three in the last 2 years. They are hard to beat for the price. They have a simple robust firing system that results in a trigger pull around 5-6 lbs. You should slug your barrel to see what size projectile to try. My Terminator is a 30 cal but barrel is .303. I have had one poppet break in my oldest gun . At the time I had over 4k rounds through it. Poppets like orings are something you should have as a spare.

I would not recomend this as a first gun. They do require disassembled and cleaned on occasion. They seem to satisfy people who like to tinker and have the skill set to do so. As Firewalker stated they are not refined and rely on a break in process to smooth up. They are not poorly designed or dangerous. Overall I would say they are well built and made to last. I would not sell any of mine and I shoot mine daily. 8k rounds and counting out of my first purchase which is the HP Carbine. These guns are made for power and they deliver.

Mags in the HP series leave something to be desired. Their main issue is the spring comes out of the anchor hole and inwinds. I have correctied all of mine by bending the spring to extend further in the anchor holes. Having them snap shut and fly across the room is a fast way to have the spring break loose.

Last edited:
The only thick is to use it!! Yes, you have to know how to work on it, but for what i paid for the set-up, this thing is a beast. I use it mostly for iguana's and ever time i use it, the guide will always comment on how hard it hits(.25). Be ready to take the trigger apart for regular cleaning. That's about all i have to do. For some reason, a lot of pellet junk ends up there.
Have a quality tool kit and you are good. Bin has online help if you need it.

Reactions: Sicumj and Perle
I might ask how many AEAs have you handled @ Nobody1 ?
If it’s just the used one you bought then you don’t have much experience with them m, do you ?
Certainly not a new one.

I enjoy my 3 AEAs. Reliable , accurate, fun and …. Powerful
Didn’t break the bank either
And they are good looking guns in my opinion
I have gone through three of these things none of them without a problem. Different people may have different luck, but I had more issues with each one of the three in a month than all of my other air guns combined over the last several years:

1. Valve seat failing every half tin of pellets. (357)
2. Leaking at gauge (357)
3. Leaking at fill port/ check valve (357)
4. Jamming pellets and broken valve pins on my .25.
5. Internal parts looked used/worn on both new .357. Screws that did not match repair videos: flat head screws with chewed up slots where repair videos show hex nuts
6. In spite of returning both of the first two for repairs, they never held air for more than a handful of shots. I was actually advised by the vendor to stop trying to make the 357 work and try a different caliber that was more reliable.

Reactions: Sicumj
I have gone through three of these things none of them without a problem. Different people may have different luck, but I had more issues with each one of the three in a month than all of my other air guns combined over the last several years:

1. Valve seat failing every half tin of pellets. (357)
2. Leaking at gauge (357)
3. Leaking at fill port/ check valve (357)
4. Jamming pellets and broken valve pins on my .25.
5. Internal parts looked used/worn on both new .357. Screws that did not match repair videos: flat head screws with chewed up slots where repair videos show hex nuts
6. In spite of returning both of the first two for repairs, they never held air for more than a handful of shots. I was actually advised by the vendor to stop trying to make the 357 work and try a different caliber that was more reliable.
Which shop told you that ?
Certainly the damaged hardware on a new gun is troubling.

I have had minor issues but once resolved they have been solid. YMMV
90DA53B6-20C1-4EB7-9F69-0A986DEAD78C.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a SS Plus in 22, I like it for what it is. I did do a trigger job which really helped but still heavy.
I also broke a valve pin and ordered 2 from Bin, easy to replace.
I like the semi feature occasionally for plinking, but I think this design may be suited for 177 and 22.
Regarding repairs, I have had to fix something or reseal every AG I have ever owned, Mav, Dreamline, Uragan, Vulcan 3, Logan, Caiman, except my Brocock Bantam HR as it has been flawless and solid.

Reactions: Perle and Sicumj