• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA HP max problems?

I had nothing but problems with that particular model of airgun, and ended up returning two. The original which kept leaking, even after sending it back in for repair, and the replacement, which had the same issues. Even if you get them to work the valve seat will fail after a couple of hundred shots. I was told this by one of the major vendors of this platform.

Ugh. Sometimes I can pick 'em.

The o-ring went in super easy with the barrel out. I've changed the flow valve setting so maybe it'll seal this time.

Any recommendations on something 150 FPE+ that is decent?

I would take a look at the AirForce line up. They have lots of well priced and quality models. I dont have one myself but they have a great reputation. But I dont think there are a ton of high fpe options in general. AEA is kinda leading the charge, and I think their Challenger series is the best they offer. I have 2 Challengers and they are pretty simple designs, which is good imo, but are certainly budget guns.

Reactions: JamesW1
Ugh. Sometimes I can pick 'em.

The o-ring went in super easy with the barrel out. I've changed the flow valve setting so maybe it'll seal this time.

Any recommendations on something 150 FPE+ that is decent?
Benjamin Bulldog. 357cal. I have two, and they are rock solid 150-200 fpe airguns.
RDT_20230105_1911113828332484036495933.png

Easy way to insert breech seal with barrel in place is place a cleaning rod into muzzle and push down just to the oring cut out. This blocks the ring from sliding up the barrel. You can then push oring in and use an allen wrench to seat oring.

Your po;p;et is probably leaking and may require replacement but I would check gauge for leaks first.

Last edited:
Easy way to insert breech seal with barrel in place is place a cleaning rod into muzzle and push down just to the oring cut out. This blocks the ring from sliding up the barrel. You can then push oring in and use an allen wrench to seat oring.

Your po;p;et is probably leaking and may require replacement but I would check gauge for leaks first.

Removed the barrel and the o-ring went in easy-peasy. Vendor sent a new "cylinder sealed rear block" and that appears to have stopped the leak. It's been holding pressure for about 4 days. I don't quite know what to make of this machine.

One thing about this model is that there is no cover for the probe port. Major oversight in my opinion.

A friend just bought the AEA HP Max in 35 cal. and it's a seriously beautiful looking machine.

Unfortunately, he's having some problems. When he received it, it had two magazines that were oversize for the "mag well". Seller said they changed specs to a wider mag and guided him thru disassembly and backing out the barrel a bit. Problem solved.

He pumped it up to 4000 psi (max is 4500) in anticipation of sighting in the scope this morning. But, all the air leaked out over night -- zero remaining. Examination of the probe that loads the pellet into the barrel also reveals an o-ring that is sitting on the probe - sealing nothing. If a mag was inserted, I guess the o-ring would be pushed to the backside of the mag. Is this normal or has the o-ring become dislodged from the receiver?

Anyone having problems like this? My friend is thinking of asking for a refund ......
That o-ring goes into a seat just inside the barrel (easy fix). Your air leak may be at the gauge on the gun. You can check with soapy water and if that's the case just very slightly tighten the gauge (don't over tighten or you will damage).

Removed the barrel and the o-ring went in easy-peasy. Vendor sent a new "cylinder sealed rear block" and that appears to have stopped the leak. It's been holding pressure for about 4 days. I don't quite know what to make of this machine.

One thing about this model is that there is no cover for the probe port. Major oversight in my opinion.
I just use a foamy ear plug.
IMG_20230122_145807_HDR.jpg

Reactions: MrP and JamesW1
"cylinder sealed rear block"
Do you have a picture or a link of some sort? I have an AEA .457 that leaks from the barrel and it has me stumped...o rings seem fine inside the end of the barrel as well as the 2 on the outside...poppet seems fine as far as I can tell....although I have yet to remove that seal inside where the poppet goes into the frame.

Do you have a picture or a link of some sort? I have an AEA .457 that leaks from the barrel and it has me stumped...o rings seem fine inside the end of the barrel as well as the 2 on the outside...poppet seems fine as far as I can tell....although I have yet to remove that seal inside where the poppet goes into the frame.

The schematics are in the user manuals:

Reactions: AirDevil
The schematics are in the user manuals:
Thanks for the link,I had actually downloaded those and forgotten I had done so...well my rear block seems fine so maybe the valve seal o ring is my issue( I just removed it) or that tiny spring in there? I have no Idea how the heck I'm going to get that screw back in there now...Lol.
Edit: that O ring seems fine on that tiny pin...maybe placing the same size but "fatter" ring would solve my leak from breach/barrel?
I'm pretty new to the pcp world...apologies for all the questions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link,I had actually downloaded those and forgotten I had done so...well my rear block seems fine so maybe the valve seal o ring is my issue( I just removed it) or that tiny spring in there? I have no Idea how the heck I'm going to get that screw back in there now...Lol.
Edit: that O ring seems fine on that tiny pin...maybe placing the same size but "fatter" ring would solve my leak from breach/barrel?
I'm pretty new to the pcp world...apologies for all the questions.

There are a number of vids on Youtube for performing various repairs on the AEA models. Perhaps one of those can help?

There are a number of vids on Youtube for performing various repairs on the AEA models. Perhaps one of those can help?
unfortunately, the nearest to my particular issue is from Bin working on a .357...but some parts are different and he does not address this particular issue...I have left messages on several videos to no avail.
Guess it's just down to troubleshooting at this point.

unfortunately, the nearest to my particular issue is from Bin working on a .357...but some parts are different and he does not address this particular issue...I have left messages on several videos to no avail.
Guess it's just down to troubleshooting at this point.

Maybe starting a new thread to get this out in front of AEA-owners eyes would help? Sorry but I'm new to AEA too.

Reactions: AirDevil
Maybe starting a new thread to get this out in front of AEA-owners eyes would help? Sorry but I'm new to AEA too.
No problem. I had seen this AEA thread hoping for some enlightenment because it was similar to my problem...but this is a .357 thread, so you are probably right in suggesting a newer .457 focused one.
Thanks for your efforts fellow airgunner.