• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA HP max problems?

A friend just bought the AEA HP Max in 35 cal. and it's a seriously beautiful looking machine.

Unfortunately, he's having some problems. When he received it, it had two magazines that were oversize for the "mag well". Seller said they changed specs to a wider mag and guided him thru disassembly and backing out the barrel a bit. Problem solved.

He pumped it up to 4000 psi (max is 4500) in anticipation of sighting in the scope this morning. But, all the air leaked out over night -- zero remaining. Examination of the probe that loads the pellet into the barrel also reveals an o-ring that is sitting on the probe - sealing nothing. If a mag was inserted, I guess the o-ring would be pushed to the backside of the mag. Is this normal or has the o-ring become dislodged from the receiver?

Anyone having problems like this? My friend is thinking of asking for a refund ......

I don't know the answer but looking at one for my next gun so subscribed. May I ask who the vendor was? I know most vendors are amazing with customer service so he should be in good hands.

The vendor was the thepelletshop.

Previously, I had only heard good things about this company so I am very surprised at their baffling conduct. When told that the mags did not fit, their immediate response was we test fit all magazines (paraphrased). After more conversation, they came up with they had switched to thicker mags and this pellet rifle must have been tested with the old mags. They have ignored several attempts to reach out to them so the owner is now asking for an RMA for refund. The original order was almost $1100. He hopes this won't come to a credit card chargeback situation.

Gotta tell you, I've bought from several different vendors on this go-round and they were all pretty much 5 star ....... so this is an oddity.

Reactions: mr_nom_noms_
I have a .30 and the probe doesn’t have an oring. The oring goes in the barrel. There is an oring groove for it. Your leak could be the poppet or gauge, fill port or air tube. If the .35 has a probe mounted oring, there will be a groove on the probe for it and it won’t just be stretched over a smooth probe.

It appears there is a o-ring grove inside the barrel but getting the ring in there is a no go. Is there an easy way to do this?

It appears there is a o-ring grove inside the barrel but getting the ring in there is a no go. Is there an easy way to do this?

Poke it in with some kind of small tool or utensil. As long as you have a tool to pull it out and re-try if it doesn't seat on the first attempt, it's pretty easy to do.

Reactions: JamesW1

Try using a couple of q-tips sticks to get the o-ring into place by slightly folding o-ring in the groove and holding it down there with one, and then push and roll the rest of the protruding o-ring around into the barrel and groove.

Just remove the barrel. It’s easier to do with the barrel off the gun.
If it has the same design as the Challenger, I can second this will be much easier with the barrel off. I saw a dude on youtube put his barrel in a lathe and cleaned up the two o-ring grooves for a bigger size. Seems like an upgrade if your barrel keeps spitting the stock ones out.

Edit to Add: The barrel o-rings should not allow your air reservoir to leak air out though. You have another issue I would say.

Last edited:
There’s not a whole lot that go wrong with them. They are just full throttle wonder cannons but certainly should not be someone’s primary PCP. The shot strings are nightmares. Between the crusty stock and the floppy lockup, you have to pray things don’t shift right when you pull the trigger. I got my shot string a little flatter for a whole mag. Might machine some off the locking stud to tighten that up. Just not sure if I want to drop any more money in it for a quality buffer tube and stock.

A friend just bought the AEA HP Max in 35 cal. and it's a seriously beautiful looking machine.

Unfortunately, he's having some problems. When he received it, it had two magazines that were oversize for the "mag well". Seller said they changed specs to a wider mag and guided him thru disassembly and backing out the barrel a bit. Problem solved.

He pumped it up to 4000 psi (max is 4500) in anticipation of sighting in the scope this morning. But, all the air leaked out over night -- zero remaining. Examination of the probe that loads the pellet into the barrel also reveals an o-ring that is sitting on the probe - sealing nothing. If a mag was inserted, I guess the o-ring would be pushed to the backside of the mag. Is this normal or has the o-ring become dislodged from the receiver?

Anyone having problems like this? My friend is thinking of asking for a refund ......
I had nothing but problems with that particular model of airgun, and ended up returning two. The original which kept leaking, even after sending it back in for repair, and the replacement, which had the same issues. Even if you get them to work the valve seat will fail after a couple of hundred shots. I was told this by one of the major vendors of this platform.