• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA HP Max ammo .45 and .50?

The AEA HP Max really check a lot of boxes for me. The one downside I see is the cost of ammo in the .45 and .50. Anyone know of good performing, economical hunting pellets, slugs or balls in the .45 or .50?

For example, will the .50 function with .490 balls? Will the .45 function with .457” balls or .454” conicals? What about economical molds for casting good performing projectiles? Kinda lost here and I live so far back in the sticks, I'm not likely to meet other Air Power afficionados .......

Okay so I've had it for a bit now and I'm having excellent results from apex airgun ammo's 158 gr texan slugs. I tried some of their 178 gr spitzers today and my max didn't like them at all. So I dialed the 158 gr ones in at 50 yards on my scope. I was very impressed with a cloverleaf group. I see he has some 151 gr slugs that are the same style available again. I might try some of those as well. Imo this rifle doesn't have enough snuff to shoot very heavy slugs.

Okay so I've had it for a bit now and I'm having excellent results from apex airgun ammo's 158 gr texan slugs. I tried some of their 178 gr spitzers today and my max didn't like them at all. So I dialed the 158 gr ones in at 50 yards on my scope. I was very impressed with a cloverleaf group. I see he has some 151 gr slugs that are the same style available again. I might try some of those as well. Imo this rifle doesn't have enough snuff to shoot very heavy slugs.
Bearair.
How is the accuracy? Is it a 50 yard gun or maybe a 75 yard gun?
I am looking to shoot light to medium weight slugs very accurately out to 60+ yards. I am not lookinig for a 100 yard weapon.

Doc

So far it seems pretty accurate at 50 yards. Like three shots touching accurate. I now have my scope dialed in at 50 yards with the 158 gr texan slugs apex airguns ammo offer. It did not like the 178gr spitzers they offer. I want to try some of the 151 gr texan slugs they offer as well. But for now I see some potential for really good accuracy out at 50 with the 158 gr. Will it be accurate enough to shoot soda caps off bottles? We shall see.

Reactions: Jeffthetech
The AEA HP Max really check a lot of boxes for me. The one downside I see is the cost of ammo in the .45 and .50. Anyone know of good performing, economical hunting pellets, slugs or balls in the .45 or .50?

For example, will the .50 function with .490 balls? Will the .45 function with .457” balls or .454” conicals? What about economical molds for casting good performing projectiles? Kinda lost here and I live so far back in the sticks, I'm not likely to meet other Air Power afficionados .......
Try Neilson Specialty Ammo for a good price on your ammo. As far as .490 balls in a 50 they are too small and will roll out of your barrel. I live out in the sticks myself and not too many have even heard of air power like that. I've known about these monsters for over 15 years now and finally got the Umarex Hammer about 2 years ago . Good luck my friend, use the recommended ammo and you will be just fine.