• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA AEA HP MAX .510

What would you consider a good group at 40 yards with .510.
700cc bottle
22 inch barrel
This is about the best I can do. Tried different pressures.
255 grains

20230913_144423.jpg

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I have tried Mr HP from 225 to 310. Have some Nielson. They are to long for mag and to single shoot them. Wish I took some pics. Just shot some 310 grains. They were better. No way for me to check the barrel size . I have some more ammo on its way. Every once in a while it will rattle off 6 shots touching then go 6" inches high. Will do some more research in it. May need to buy a reg for it if they make one for a bigbore CF bottle.

Shot some slugguys 230 grains. This is at 15 yards resting off a post. First shot high R, second low and the third high R the rest low. I took off barrel and checked it out. Looks good! I pushed some slugs through it. The nelson would grip to the point it was hard to push at breech. After a inch or so then go pretty easy to the last inch or so then a little harder. Most of Mr HP's went a little easier.
What is normal feel when slugging a barrel?

20230915_170222.jpg

No what you are feeling is tight and loose spots. That's the inconsistently of the bore...it should be fairly hard to get the slug started and push through the bore. You should be able to shoot .510 sized slugs...but your may bore may be off...so try .511 sized slugs. poopty barrel. I hand lapped and fixed my Texan 510 barrel...it was rough..

Reactions: Malsonb
Not sure about this HP max! All shots at 25 yards with 230gr.First mag on 250 bar was way high then settled in some. Second pic bar was around 210 and wasn't horrible(black targets). First pic on paper pic on paper I filled to 240 bar. First shot almost dead center. Second shot the slug barely came out barrel . The next 3 all over. Last shot right back in there. . Now I'm getting nervous.
20230916_165715.jpg
So last pic I shoot one more mag. First four right in there. Last two out of timezone. Now I'm confused. What is going on? Should I be worried about the dud shot?

20230916_163153.jpg

20230916_163532.jpg

20230916_170110.jpg

20230916_170113.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a chronograph? On the second AEA I described above it started off badly, but the shot strings were consistent. I ordered different slugs to try, but while waiting on them I dove in on the barrel after identifying the leading RM described earlier. Sadly, I have been down this road once on another platform. A little time, supplies and elbow grease later its shooting much better. First picture, open group was before working on the barrel, group that tightened up is after, second picture is after a few quick passes with patches. This is with a .58 Zeus. At 70 yards. I'd try to get some speed readings and really look into the barrel leading. Are you shooting off a rest?

16949001816566084007121264376467.jpg

16949002093211489560340260349076.jpg

I'm shooting off rest. I emailed Bin to see if he had any suggestions. Not sure why it barely fired that one shot. Maybe I should clean it more. I have cleaned it two times so far. I'll give another cleaning.
Look up post by NervousTrigger about barrel prep and accuracy. Im sure Bin will help also, I called him last week about a random idea I had, and he found the time to chat. How have the patches looked after cleaning and what are you using?

Wow that cell picture was great!!!!!! I don't see any leading... The only way to get .511 diameter is casting and sizing your own.. Yes a chronograph will definitely help you see what's going on. My Texan lother Wather was so rough it would tear shears of lead of that would go in my action....break stuff...hand lapped it know she is good...but I have a 60 fps reduction in velocity from the hand lapped smooth uniform no leading barrel. Before I got 860 fps with .510 460 grain slugs....now I get 800fps....Ill take accuracy and consistency.... But I hate losing fps😣

Reactions: DirtyGator
Wow that cell picture was great!!!!!! I don't see any leading... The only way to get .511 diameter is casting and sizing your own.. Yes a chronograph will definitely help you see what's going on. My Texan lother Wather was so rough it would tear shears of lead of that would go in my action....break stuff...hand lapped it know she is good...but I have a 60 fps reduction in velocity from the hand lapped smooth uniform no leading barrel. Before I got 860 fps with .510 460 grain slugs....now I get 800fps....Ill take accuracy and consistency.... But I hate losing fps😣
Did it ever come back up in fps? The last one did lost 35 fps on average, but after about a month of shooting and cleaning it came back up to where it was before with no other adjustments and the grouping continued to improve as well. Seems to have platued at this point, but I'm probably at the limit of my skill.