• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA Hp Max .357 slugs…

While browsing for slugs or molds and reading what I can, when you folks are either ordering them, or molding your own, what is the actual sized diameter that fits well and serves the purpose without any fear of jamming the barrel? Any experience with the Lucky 7 106gr. round nose? I’m asking this because they are sized right at .357 and it’s stated on his site that his mix ratio contains 1% antimony.

Looking to widening my ammo options for experimentation (and fun), but do not want to inadvertently jam up the barrel.

To be really accurate, you need to slug your barrel, not difficult. Then shoot a slug that is 1 or 2 thousandths over the maximum diameter of that slug. I size my .357 slugs to .358" (TJ barrel). Many companies, like Lee, will make whatever size die you need. Undersized slugs can lead to leading of your barrel, at least in proper firearms.

Don't worry about the 1% antimony. This is just added as a hardener and won't raise the hardness to where it won't work for you.

Chris

To be really accurate, you need to slug your barrel, not difficult. Then shoot a slug that is 1 or 2 thousandths over the maximum diameter of that slug. I size my .357 slugs to .358" (TJ barrel). Many companies, like Lee, will make whatever size die you need. Undersized slugs can lead to leading of your barrel, at least in proper firearms.

Don't worry about the 1% antimony. This is just added as a hardener and won't raise the hardness to where it won't work for you.

Chris

I am sure you are right about that. I know that Bin had no reason to think I was thinking of sizing slugs when i placed the order so no doubt it was general advice for buying pellets. Two things I want to do: slug the barrel and polish the critical surfaces in the action to make it a little smoother. I have to do research on what polish to use - there is some polishing compound in a dremel set I have but “precision polishing” isn’t something I have done before. [I’ve clearly been in middle and high school classrooms for too long because I can’t write that in quotes without immediately thinking of it being a euphemism for something, and I can’t think of anything appropriate that would be a euphemism for.

I’m new ish to all this and want to try sizing .25 solid flat point slugs up to .257 and .258. I have some bushings of different sizes and push slugs through to size down, but not the other way.

sizing up must be done by compressing them the long way. I guess I could do that with the sizing dies that I have. For example put a .25 caliber slug into a .257 die and then setting on a flat surface and “tapping” the pushrod with a mallet. I am going to try that actually…

FX hybrids also shoot well in mine
I have a bunch of modified fx an air Venturi 95 hollow point. Took 2.5 mm 3mm an 3.5 mm ball bearings and some nail polish. Haven't tested em on the crony yet but dont expect the fx mods to do real good. Best part is they still fit the mag modded. I did the same thing for h&n slugs an fx slugs in .25 cal for my bullboss. My bullboss spits the moded .2495 dia h&ns at 860 starting with 26 gr down to 800 with the 36 gr but the moded fx 26 gr only at like 730. .28 gr with 3 mm ball shoots the best with my bullboss at 850ish with great accuracy out to 100. I also did an experiment on the 22 cal Patriot javalins 40 gr an made some 22 noslers. Theres like 15 different mods here for testing i gotta do.

IMG_20221115_105806226.jpg

IMG_20221115_105816321.jpg

IMG_20221115_105829665.jpg

IMG_20221115_105901784.jpg

After reading about people using it in various evanix guns (and .360 roundball being one of the projectiles crossman recommends on their site for the bulldog) I tried some ballistic products # 000 .360 Roundball in my hp max. I guess the max has a much tighter leade because I could not force the bolt to get them to chamber. They work well enough with the evanix Rex and Rex P

After reading about people using it in various evanix guns (and .360 roundball being one of the projectiles crossman recommends on their site for the bulldog) I tried some ballistic products # 000 .360 Roundball in my hp max. I guess the max has a much tighter leade because I could not force the bolt to get them to chamber. They work well enough with the evanix Rex and Rex P
Ye .360 is to big. The hornady .35 is exact .350 dia. Fits great in mine if you drop one in the top of your barrel like your slugging it it pushes out with ease but still tight enough to catch the rifling. So some pressure behind it should push it into the rifling just fine. I have problems getting anything air venturi to load. Between bad casting and deff not sized at .356 like they claim i usually have to file them down a bit to work. Never had a problem with the hornady or bobs bullets tho