AEA HP dovetail dimensions...?

Hi there,

(I do hope this is the place to post this question, didn't seam to fit in any topic).

I wanted to ask, if anyone here who owns a AEA HP Max .35 could take a measurement of the dovetail-rail length. The seller doesn't provide any dimensions on the website and I was wondering if my dovetail-mounted scope would fit on it. I would guess that any other AEA-HP series would have roughly the same dimensions so any input is appreciated!

The following dimensions would be awesome to have: The length of the 'back' dovetail, the length of the magazine-gap in between and the length of the shorter 'front' dovetail. The height of the Magazin above the rails would also be really interesting.

Thanks a lot!

That is a pretty big difference. I guess you’ll be looking for lighter weight projectiles, I wonder if anyone makes non-lead pellets in .357? I imagine you’ll get a lot of shots per fill, and it will be pretty quiet. 

This may be a crazy idea but one person was successfully shooting 3-D printed pellets. Maybe not appropriate for most people’s needs but if you ever felt like getting a little flatter / higher speed trajectory, that’s one way to do it I guess. Might work for casual target practice / plinking tin cans. I have no idea if any kind of plastic slug can be stable in these circumstances!

With the standard lightweight diablo-pellets it should still get 60-70 meters per second. But plastic pellets sound interesting, I'll look into it!

Ah one more thing, if it isn't too much trouble: I noticed from some pictures, that the barrel (shroud?) seams to be higher then the front dovetail... Could you measure how high that step is and maybe post a picture of that section? Thanks in advance :D

42C55DAD-BC82-4A5C-8068-6634FE5A2693.1650661625.jpeg
I used a caliper for this measurement and got 1.35 mm for the height you’ll have to clear. Call it 1.4 to be safe I guess.

I don’t know what it’s like to cast your own projectiles in Germany but there is a mold maker in the US who can make ~60 and ~70 grain wad cutter molds. accuratemolds.com

Their molds are expensive but apparently very well-made. I’ve never ordered one from them but I’ve sat there on more than one late night with one of these five or one of the slightly heavier 85-95 grain molds in my shopping cart …

4A7A56F5-568F-44D3-B311-3D79261E42F0.1650661230.jpeg

E96926BE-27E7-42EA-8F3C-1CF31FAE1F08.1650660995.jpeg

D422ECF7-4195-4927-A25C-B089DE1D016B.1650660995.jpeg

C78F70F1-0F69-41CC-9092-1C211E373E23.1650661660.jpeg

Reactions: BurntDog and Tyno
You can still use low profile rings. I bought some stupid chinese cantilever mount called funpower choped out the middle crossbar to make it a set of rings. Had to mount it slightly out of my length of pull to fit the mag but still comfortable to shoot. Most of my stuff i end up having the turrets hover the breech/magwell but this guy is just before the well. Mags fit with like a mil or so of clearance.

That is a pretty big difference. I guess you’ll be looking for lighter weight projectiles, I wonder if anyone makes non-lead pellets in .357? I imagine you’ll get a lot of shots per fill, and it will be pretty quiet.

This may be a crazy idea but one person was successfully shooting 3-D printed pellets. Maybe not appropriate for most people’s needs but if you ever felt like getting a little flatter / higher speed trajectory, that’s one way to do it I guess. Might work for casual target practice / plinking tin cans. I have no idea if any kind of plastic slug can be stable in these circumstances!
Plastic slugs work but id recommend not using em. I used .216 dia plastic slugs on a 22 and almost ruined my crown (not an fx crown, the barrel crown) because of the constant buildup an having to clean it away. Think of how a lead slug/pellet leads the barrel. Now imagine what a much easier to scratch plastic might do to the barrel and crown. Shooting wise sure they shoot good but you gotta clean like every 60ish shots or more.