• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA AEA has the most unreliable air guns

The AEA HP SS should take the prize for the most unreliable air gun ever.

I had many issues with my AEA HP SS bought about 10 days ago:
-broken magazines
-stripped rod disconnecting from the bolt handle
-very rough and loud, recoil action in semiauto (reminds me of my springer days)

I fixed the magazines (it only took 1-2 hours :)) by extending the spring ends using pliers.
I fixed the semiauto problems by converting the air gun to bolt action.

My AEA HP SS gave me another issue over the past week.

At some point the trigger stopped working.
The hammer was cocked, but pulling the trigger would do nothing.
Then after many attempts of pulling the trigger it would again start shooting.
It felt like the trigger would work most of the times, until it didn't.

After almost 2 hours trying various things, including trying to take apart the trigger, I realized what the issue was.

I spent some time trying to figure out what was the shiny thing in the area between the valve and hammer and then to take it out.
From its rough semiauto days, a pellet had gotten into the trigger area.

To take out the pellet I used a very long hemostat, a tool used mostly in surgery, but very helpful when you own an AEA air gun.

I have been staying away from them, I was interested in the aea defender but I couldn't find any information on the parts or diagram of the cartridge.. I had the old brocock tandem cartridges and they had junk o ring.. after a full rebuild the tandem cartridges are great.. however I keep reading about problems with leaking.. and I was not going to spend money on something that people were having trouble with on YouTube..
I wonder why so many people say aea is good.. I think it's China just like snow peak..
Mark

I have been staying away from them, I was interested in the aea defender but I couldn't find any information on the parts or diagram of the cartridge.. I had the old brocock tandem cartridges and they had junk o ring.. after a full rebuild the tandem cartridges are great.. however I keep reading about problems with leaking.. and I was not going to spend money on something that people were having trouble with on YouTube..
I wonder why so many people say aea is good.. I think it's China just like snow peak..
Mark
Snowpeak makes really good PCPs.

I have a PP700, PP750, Umarex Notos, PP800/Diana Bandit, CP2/Diana Chaser.
They are much better than anything in that price range.

But the discussion are about AEA airguns which I heard were made in Taiwan.

Reactions: MrP
Mark
Well China actually makes great stuff too, but yes the horror stories about AEA almost rival Hatsan

Review Rule #1
Well China actually makes great stuff too, but yes the horror stories about AEA almost rival Hatsan

Most UNEDUCATED people say that.

iPhone
Made in china. Most people would say the highest quality cell phone.... again... made in china.

*** insult removed*** i mean the uneducated ... just say china when they really should be saying .... things made WITHOUT QUALITY CONTROL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snowpeak makes really good PCPs.

I have a PP700, PP750, Umarex Notos, PP800/Diana Bandit, CP2/Diana Chaser.
They are much better than anything in that price range.

But the discussion are about AEA airguns which I heard were made in Taiwan.
yes I agree, I too have a notos, I have also heard that the action is smoother than the pp750 but my notos came with the barrel slightly loose and got worse, not a big deal, just needed to tighten the barrel set screw.. and while I was checking out the fit to determine if there was anything else wrong I found that one of the barrel o ring was already disintegrated.. there's 2 between the barrel and the action..
however you apparently have more information on the aea than I had because it was just a guess..
I also agree with you on price range vs quality.. and I don't understand why I keep reading in other places that aea is a good cost effective gun..
it's bad enough that we can't easily get parts for some of the economic guns.. much worse to get aea and find out that the quality is poor and parts almost non existent.. as far as that goes snow peak has aea beat just because Wes at airgun archery fun in Canada is a good dealer.. probably easier to get parts for the pp750 than the notos..
I was just trying to say that I couldn't find anything about the defender and knew it would need rebuilt at some point but it didn't even have specifications..
so I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you or get it off track, just wishing we could have good made in America airguns with parts easily available, and yet still be able to afford it.. I'm lower budget myself and it's hard with everything to be able to afford life.
Mark

iPhone
Made in china. Most people would say the highest quality cell phone.... again... made in china.

Dumbasses ... i mean the uneducated ... just say china when they really should be saying .... things made WITHOUT QUALITY CONTROL.
I guess I got ahead of my thinking, it's just a lot of stuff now is junk.. like you said no quality control.. sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone..
I could tell you about my f150 how they saved a few cents and make people think they have to take it to the dealer for checking the transaction fluid.. actually there's a tiny cap and plastic dipstick in the exact same place where the normal dipstick would go..
everywhere you look things are made cheaper and cost more..
frankly I miss the good old days..
had a few guns from ars that would cost nowadays $1000 and yet they were not even half that, used common seals and easy to fix..
I will say that the good fella that ran ars in Elmira NY was very good.. like Wes at airgun archery fun..
good personal service..

Reactions: allinssd
AEA air guns are seriously overpriced.

The original price for AEA HP was about $500-$600.
Now the new generation AEA SF is around $800.

I will let other people be the guinea pigs this time.

I can buy a $300 PCP that has a 5 year warranty and is highly reliable and may even have parts available (at reasonable prices).

I will give the AEA HP SS one thing.
The build quality is the best I have seen in lower price air guns from SnowPeak, Kral, Crosman, you name it.

Unfortunately there is very little customer support available, with very few parts available.
The AEA dealers are really one person shops.

AEA could have conquered a big piece of the air gun market if they had taken care of the customers.

Last edited:

iPhone

Dumbasses ... i mean the uneducated ... just say china when they really should be saying .... things made WITHOUT QUALITY CONTROL.
@allinssd
I sure wish you and a few others could stop and think about others.. yes I'm probably uneducated, although I have been a machinest, mechanic and welder since I was 15.. I ran my own excavation business for 20 years and then because of a accident I had to quit and went to farming for another 20, I also built hydraulic lowbed rollback trailers for nut harvesters.. my own design.. I happen to be the guy everyone who knows me to fix something..
however age and disability takes it's toll.. I'm on my third go around with cancer and don't feel good most of the time..
so I know that you don't know me from anyone but it doesn't hurt to be nice.. you never know how someone else is feeling.. I have other friends on here in my same shoes.. and I can't tell you how many times I have almost been done with the forum because of unkind words..
so a couple weeks ago I was helping with a community project, replace a culvert and well I worked in utility for 20 years and I pulled up a phone cable with the excavator that was not marked, even though we had location done.. and I just asked everyone if someone would call the phone company out of courtesy and let them know, one neighbor who has been good came over to me and said what is the deal.. aren't you making a big deal about it.. it upsets me since it was my profession and I just told him that well since he called for location, I don't care and I wasn't here.. started up the excavator and finished the job, not another word.. I finally called him two weeks later and we got along as he has always been good... I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not just me.. there's others that are going through hard times and soft words go a long way.. you just don't know what the other person is going through.. on that certain day... yes I'm the guy that fixes everything for the neighbors, takes me a week to do what was half a day.. so I might be uneducated, no collage, just trade school and years of experience.. I don't work for hire anymore.. wouldn't know what to charge for the slow work..
also on a different note John Deere is made in a lot of places.. I always went with the top of the line and they were made in America and my neighbor went with the cheapest.. and they were made in China..his first tractor was pretty good then around 8-10 years ago he bought a similar model to his first one.. the economy Deere is made in China with quality control.. however his second one was in my shop several times a month during hay season.. they made electric contact with cheaper metal and left out the dielectric grease.. the wire harness is identical other than poor contacts in the plug.. and of course they couldn't be bothered to put in dielectric grease in the gasketed plugs . so quality control doesn't mean what we used to know.. last time that stupid tractor was in my shop I took every single harness connector and put the grease in.. used probably $1 worth of grease..
so just asking for myself and others that I know are going through a hard time in life, myself and the others I know are all retired, disabled and well this forum is for me about my only social life.. other than fixing all 3 out of 4 neighbors things.. I rarely get to town, miss working greatly, but I don't have the steam to work a part time job..
so I just garden, fix everything and cut firewood around the place..
so I am sure we'd all appreciate kind words.
I have no interest in hurting others who may be down.. you can have the best education, job, family and life and friends and it can all go away fast.. and being educated and things going well doesn't mean you won't have bad days too..
I hope I didn't offend you but I just wanted to explain and well hopefully we can all be friends
Mark

@allinssd
I sure wish you and a few others could stop and think about others.. yes I'm probably uneducated, although I have been a machinest, mechanic and welder since I was 15.. I ran my own excavation business for 20 years and then because of a accident I had to quit and went to farming for another 20, I also built hydraulic lowbed rollback trailers for nut harvesters.. my own design.. I happen to be the guy everyone who knows me to fix something..
however age and disability takes it's toll.. I'm on my third go around with cancer and don't feel good most of the time..
so I know that you don't know me from anyone but it doesn't hurt to be nice.. you never know how someone else is feeling.. I have other friends on here in my same shoes.. and I can't tell you how many times I have almost been done with the forum because of unkind words..
so a couple weeks ago I was helping with a community project, replace a culvert and well I worked in utility for 20 years and I pulled up a phone cable with the excavator that was not marked, even though we had location done.. and I just asked everyone if someone would call the phone company out of courtesy and let them know, one neighbor who has been good came over to me and said what is the deal.. aren't you making a big deal about it.. it upsets me since it was my profession and I just told him that well since he called for location, I don't care and I wasn't here.. started up the excavator and finished the job, not another word.. I finally called him two weeks later and we got along as he has always been good... I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not just me.. there's others that are going through hard times and soft words go a long way.. you just don't know what the other person is going through.. on that certain day... yes I'm the guy that fixes everything for the neighbors, takes me a week to do what was half a day.. so I might be uneducated, no collage, just trade school and years of experience.. I don't work for hire anymore.. wouldn't know what to charge for the slow work..
also on a different note John Deere is made in a lot of places.. I always went with the top of the line and they were made in America and my neighbor went with the cheapest.. and they were made in China..his first tractor was pretty good then around 8-10 years ago he bought a similar model to his first one.. the economy Deere is made in China with quality control.. however his second one was in my shop several times a month during hay season.. they made electric contact with cheaper metal and left out the dielectric grease.. the wire harness is identical other than poor contacts in the plug.. and of course they couldn't be bothered to put in dielectric grease in the gasketed plugs . so quality control doesn't mean what we used to know.. last time that stupid tractor was in my shop I took every single harness connector and put the grease in.. used probably $1 worth of grease..
so just asking for myself and others that I know are going through a hard time in life, myself and the others I know are all retired, disabled and well this forum is for me about my only social life.. other than fixing all 3 out of 4 neighbors things.. I rarely get to town, miss working greatly, but I don't have the steam to work a part time job..
I have no interest in hurting others who may be down.. you can have the best education, job, family and life and friends and it can all go away fast.. and being educated and things going well doesn't mean you won't have bad days too..
I hope I didn't offend you but I just wanted to explain and well hopefully we can all be friends
Mark
PS, if you were nearby, after this all blows over, I'd still volunteer to do any machine work or fixing things for you, just for a chance to see another airgunner and likely guns that I'll never have enough money to touch.. like I said, my friends are just 3-4 neighbors.. all my other friends are passed away.. it's what happens when you find old-timers more knowledgeable and make better friends.. even if it is a shorter time..
I don't have enough fingers on my hand to count the ones passed on in the last few years..
hopefully you understand, and are not offended, I don't like or intend to upset anyone..
Mark

@allinssd
Mark
Mark stop putting yourself down! If you’ve been a machinist, welder, and mechanic since 15 you are far from uneducated. I’ll take that type of education over a BS college degree all day. Especially the way colleges are indoctrinating these kids nowadays.

Last edited:
Mark stop putting yourself down! If you’ve been a machinist, welder, and mechanic since 15 you are far from uneducated.
well it seems like the post was targeting what I said, honestly I don't feel good, just put one foot in front of the other until I drop.. I believe in being nice to others and well I'm sorry but tonight was almost the third time I have been really close to deleting my account..
also no I am not smart enough anymore to deal with all the computers in everything.. I just have practical skills.. fortunately or unfortunately I seem to know how to fix just about anything and I worked in construction enough that I absolutely won't tell all I know because some of the jobs I've worked I never want to touch again.. like insulation and plumbing..
life is hard when you feel bad and you seem to be loosing quality of life..
honestly if I hadn't thought about some of the good people I have met on here, I'd be long gone..
I hate to admit that normally I shoot once a month for around 30 rounds and get tired.. so I guess I have been making up for it by reading in here when I'm in bed and can't sleep until the cancer pain medication starts.. I think the last two nights have been around 6am and up around noon.. normally I get to sleep at 9 pm and sleep until noon.. I have thyroid failure too, so that takes out your energy and I am totally allergic to the levothyroxine that most people who have thyroid failure take..
just been a rough week for me and I shouldn't have read this thread as it got me more down..
also to be honest everything I said that I have done, I've got pictures to prove it and full color adds I saved from the trailer I manufactured for souvenirs.

This coming from someone with Bitcoin as his avatar. Hey smart guy guess who mines the most Bitcoin? CHINA! Guess who has the most whales that can manipulate the crypto market as they see fit? Ding ding ding you guessed right boyo… CHINA. Talk about quality control. They control the quality of that dumbass token. Oh and btw China has the most advanced manufacturing for electronic products. It’s not china that’s to blame for poop quality control. It’s the foreign companies that pay for the level of quality the product is built with. For instance, AEA compared to huben. While I don’t agree with a lot of the things the Chinese govt does, certain facts are undeniable.
well see, I don't catch everything.. but I'd honestly buy a aea before a Bitcoin 🤔😳at least I could rebuild the aea, don't think I could do any Bitcoin repair..
on the other hand if I would have been able to survive, and instead of living off my IRA while waiting for disability pennies., and I had bought gold eagles, I d be doing well now as they have doubled since I had to quit working.. but life is what it is.. 1/3 of my IRA went to support my ex, since I was not doing well, the pasture on the other side of the fence looked better than my side.. lost just about everything in 2016.. wife, health, horses, dog, money and bank account, youngest daughter went with Mommy and it got so bad that my neighbor had to help clear the hayfields of bales.. all without asking.. ended up selling the farm in 2020, think I quit running 80 head of cows in 2015.. but at least my youngest daughter visits every year.. she is in Minnesota and well I haven't seen my eldest since 2016 and just picture of her kids..
well I cut 3/4 cord of firewood today and I'm done in..
goodnight all

Reactions: Pale_Rider
The AEAs can be problematic out of the box, (sometimes, not always) but they’re definitely not “junk”. I watched a bunch of youtube videos and such before I bought mine and what I learned from those various posters made my gun very reliable and fairly accurate (for a $650 semi-auto). I had two misfeeds in the first hundred shots but none since. I know people have had issues with the mags but I guess I’ve been lucky with mine. The only real bugaboo has been the valve pins. I’ve replaced broken ones twice (factory pins) but next time it breaks I have an upgraded pin to put in.

If you have the patience to work out kinks, these guns are really quite decent.