• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA Element Max .50

Here's my take in general with big bores. They have to have a quality barrel with a smooth uniform rifling that doesn't accumulate huge amounts of lead in a few shots. Also.the lead needs to be smooth and uniform. Meaning throating reamer sharp and properly lubicrated. Chicken thief received a Zeus with the most terrible lead I'd ever seen. Next with the .510 you are still limited to light 250 grain slugs shooting untethered even at 50 yards. Too much fps variation with heavy slugs for accuracy at say 100 yards. Aea makes there own barrels...quality?? My Texan .510 would group terribly if I didn't tether it to external regulator. My factory Texan .510 Lother Wather barrel was terrible. I had to aggressively hand lap with lead laps for hours before I got a smooth uniform surface on rifling and removed tight spots.from the bore. Now it is accurate and cleans up like a dream. Western Bush bucks seem to consistently shoot decent, due to just a decent normal barrel probably green mountain. I think Chinese have a ways to go.before they learn to make a good barrel. Take that same Area element max put a quality barrel on it, and I bet it would be accurate. My2cents😉

Reactions: Greg_E
Not directed at you... just my general commentary on the "horror stories" comment above and I mentioned the restocking aspect in there too.

Yeah that accuracy is not good. I know you tried various ammo but I'm thinking there must have been some better ammo for it out there somewhere. I'm also thinking that gun must have a kick and probably not the easiest to shoot either. I used to have a Challenger 357, which is way less power than that Element Max, and even that was tough for me to shoot groups... but I know it wasn't the gun because it was possible, but it took a lot of practice to get there.

Who knows, maybe you did get a lemon. Taking a 20% hit sucks, but I wonder if Bin would have traded you for something else like a Big Bore Challenger that you might have had better luck with.

You are right on the kick and how hard it is to get good groups. I have the .51 Element Max and the groups didn't start coming to even a 3" level until I ditched the lead sleds, tripods, turrets, and just buckled down and practiced straight off the bipod/bench. Started leaning into it with my shoulder (loading it up), absorbing that kick into my shoulder, and then maintaining the side sway after the shot. Took hundreds of shots to get it shooting even "acceptable".

Now like the person you were talking to, I'm trying to find that one bullet that will be consistent across the shot stream and from tank to tank fills. I've gone through 4 brands and 10 different weights of slug, and I will continue the search. It's hard, it's expensive, it takes weeks, and lots of shooting to find what will work.

Is it really a .510 barrel? And what length of ammo can you use? Just wondering if casting the Lee REAL and sizing them will work, two weights to chose from. You can get a sizing die for .510.

Roundball for 50 cal is normally .490 or .495 with the rest taken up by the patch.

I know Umarex Hammer, Air force Texan, Hatsan Piledriver are all really .510, but the Korean guns are .495.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
Here is what bore diameters are available. Mine is the .495

IMG_2325.png

Is it really a .510 barrel? And what length of ammo can you use? Just wondering if casting the Lee REAL and sizing them will work, two weights to chose from. You can get a sizing die for .510.

Roundball for 50 cal is normally .490 or .495 with the rest taken up by the patch.

I know Umarex Hammer, Air force Texan, Hatsan Piledriver are all really .510, but the Korean guns are .495.

yes sir!!!
it is .510 barrel

Is the 50 caliber element max a true 50 caliber can you shoot muzzleloader bullets in it I know that there’s a lot of precision ballistic tip muzzleloader bullets in 50 caliber, and the price is cheaper than pellets are the round balls you shooting 50 caliber muzzleloader ball I am just now getting into air rifles. I started out with a 25 caliber PCP and now looking into a big bore trying to decide between the element max and the pile driver I know the tile driver is a .510 caliber I do believe