AEA CHALLENGER ELITE (testing)

I have pre-ordered one. I was one of the first to get the original challenger bullpups. Others and myself quickly discovered that they had a groove diameter close to .461. I wanted to make my own slugs with my swage press. Knowing that the groove diameter is closer to .461, I suspected that slugs wider than .457 might have better velocity. Sure enough, some people tested some that were wider, and they did do a bit better. I had my swage die made in .460. From what I can tell, they have about 30 FPS more velocity than a similar weight .457, and are comparably accurate. I have a sizer die to reduce to .457 for slugs I make for my don cothran, so if these are actually .457s I will be ok, but it's an extra step that adds time to the slug production process.

Any chance you could slug the barrel and let us know what the groove diameter is? I'll size my slugs if I have to, I'm just curious. It would be better for most people if it actually is a .457, but in my case I could make ammo for it faster if they are still .461s like the original challengers.

I am pretty sure the original challenger bullpups do not have valve pins, surely if they did I'd have had to replace mine by now. Are you certain the elites do?

Can't wait to get mine. Really hoping the grip is narrower too. Trigger seems much improved.

Last edited:
It also makes me wonder why more people aren't talking about it. I decided to take a chance tho, and I got mine last week. My Mr Hollowpoint order should be in this week. Hope to be able to get out and shoot it next weekend. This was the first big bore that has piqued my interest. 5-6 shots at 500ftlb regulated is awesome and some of the examples of accuracy that I've seen with the MHP 258gn is outstanding. It is stupid heavy. Not a stalking gun at all.