• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA AEA big 9 .357 ammo question??

Check out the .357 offerings from Matt's bullet he makes great stuff, I've been using him for years,.....very good product and great prices

One great thing about Matt's, is he will make your bullets with any percentage of tin you want. If he has a bullet you like, but doesn't offer it in anything less than really hard cast alloy, he will make you the same bullet much softer, unsized if you prefer, and no lube, no extra cost. That was a few years ago, he may not offer that anymore, you have to call/email him to find out. Only downside is you have to buy enough so that he uses the entire batch of lead, good thing is his batches of melted lead are not that big. With big bore's it is not really that many bullets. If I remember right, with my 357 and 158 grains it was way less than 2k bullets, I think it was under 1k actually but it has been several years and I don't trust my memory on nit-picky details.

Get a reasonably close idea of your bore diameter, and buy a Lee push through sizer a little smaller than your bore(they are cheap), buy a second insert of the same size with the sizer, if you don't have a reloading press, buy a dirt cheap used single stage press. You bought two inserts for the sizer because you will go to far with one before you are done, but will know exact perfect size within at most a couple ten thousanths to make the second insert the right size.

1. size just a few of your bullets with sizer as received, I did 4 or 5, shoot over chrono
2. sand/hone/whatever the sizer a small amount. Since I have a bunch of firelapping compound, I took some cheap oversized hard cast bullets embedded with coarse fire lapping compound and push though, don't do much. Clean completely the sizer, lube some of your bullets and size them and measure them carefully, chrono.
3. Keep repeating, the chronograph numbers will increase assuming you were undersizing to begin with, which is what you want. Try to not increase the size more than 3 ten thousandths each time. Eventually, your chrono readings will drop. The size you were at just before the fps drop is the perfect size for your bore. Now size your new insert to that point, better to go slow, ending with the finest compound to sneak up that last one ten thousandth.
4. Now you get to tune/test different bullets/ etc. all perfectly sized for your pcp.

It is slow and tedious, but you end up with a sizer that will size all your bullets to the perfect size, and another one that will be a few ten thousandths oversize, which may help with accuracy at a cost of a few fps. Not in my 357, it just costs fps.

edit: just read what I wrote and left out something, the really undersized bullets to start with will be slow and fly everywhere, as you work up the sizer the FPS increases, then when you go to far the FPS will decrease.

Last edited: