• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA airguns US pros and cons

I also had a 357 Terminator for about a year. Didn't shoot it much but it was a real powerhouse. Remove the folding stock and it was a serious close range defensive tool as well as a longer range hunting air gun. No real opportunity for me to use it much though and I sold it.

Since then I've acquired a Leshiy 2 in .22, and recently received a 30 cal 350mm barrel and shroud and front plug to convert it to 30 cal. 

And since then I also got an AEA SS Plus in .30 cal and I like it. Top power ~49 fpe depending on the pellet, 300cc air tube and 9 shot magazines. The power wheel tones it down to around 25fpe, under that it doesn't seem to auto-cycle the magazine dependably. I favor pistol/entry style stocks and took the folding butt stock off mine altogether. I like that AEA SS+ 30 cal so much that I've decided to just sell my unused (just got it from Spain last week) Leshiy 2 .30 cal 350mm barrel and shroud and front plug without installing them. 

My Leshiy 250mm .22 cal is quiet and perfectly suited to me as it is already. Especially now with a new REPR regulator installed a couple of days ago, very easy external adjust from 38fpe at 1/2 turn + on the REPR and down to 20fpe at 1/2 turn CCW, a really nice package. But the AEA SS+ 30 cost me less than the Leshiy's 30 cal 350mm barrel/front plug conversion kit. And for an apples-to-oranges perspective, the SS+ only cost me about 1/4 of what that Leshiy 2 and new 300cc tank and REPR regulator upgrade cost me. And now I have 2 actual air guns, a 22 and a 30, instead of one air gun which I could switch back and forth with an easy hour of conversion. Decisions like this are mostly a matter of what a person might be using them for more than anything.

AEA has real bang for the buck though and I expect that their products will improve, they are certainly coming out with new compact semiautos with interchangeable parts and the power will just go up. Their design approach to adding semiauto control arm within the shroud should transfer easily enough to their other models, these are basically modular guns. And the convenience of having a semiauto in a powerful air gun is also powerful decision factor for many people. Certainly is for me. No more manual bolt action and side level cocking actions for me. I'm not focused on long distance accuracy though, just want a gun that keeps shooting where I point it when I pull the trigger.

2.1637022894.jpg

1.1637022936.jpg

JP

I have been watching this thread and some of the YouTube videos on the AEA HP ss pistol, and I am seriously interested in the 22 cal version. For something like this I am not looking at power, I am looking at a potential ratter or similar gun. I did own the Leshiy 2 and had to sell it for personal reasons. I want another semi auto and the AEA HP SS pistol in 22 looks like a more near term achievable option.

Most of you chaps have 25 and 30 cal guns. Is anyone shooting the 22 cal pistol version and can provide some specs on the power range of the gun?

Update: I emailed Utah Airguns and Fox Air Power also asking above. Regardless I will post response.

Shot an hp ss at Utah air guns and my thoughts 

trigger reach and pull were pretty bad. Think milspec AR15 vs my FX 

semiauto was super fun. 

accuracy was on par with my flashpup. Not FX quality but decent hunting accuracy to 50 yards. 

it’s a bit louder than the FX but not too bad. 

Overall, I think I will end up with one. Would love to see if a .177 could be reduced enough for urban pigeons. 

one guy said aftermarket suppressors on them can change up the cycling and cause issues. 

The one I shot was .22. Perfect backpack gun for the price. 

I just got a HP TD in 25 cal. Shoots JSB Kings at 920 fps. Trigger out of the box is 5.5 lb. Its a well made gun. Bolt last 3/8" of travel is stiff, very stiff. Only have about 100 rounds through it but had no malfunctions. I was shooting golf balls today at 50 yards easily. Its more accurate than I anticipated and is a hammer. I t shot 20 gr H&N's at 1000 fps! Not crazy about the stock but it is more than functional just rattles. Gun barely moves when you fire, follow up shots are quick.

The problem you will have with AEA is they do not have a USA home office. Just a bunch of individual dealers bad mouthing each other. Very unprofessional. And the so called service center Bintac making YouTube videos making fun of customers complaining there guns are broken.

I had a defective airguns with 2 broken magazines. Gun was under warranty. Couldn’t get any mag replacements. Mags cracked in half during normal use.

Be careful of all the Videos on YouTube ?

save your money or buy from US based companies.

I have 4 rifles from AEA , my favorite is the .25cal backpacker which is basicly a Hp ss but with a carbon fiber tank , I was able to get the trigger pull down to 3lbs with some polishing and one spring swap, I've shot about 900 pellets through it before I had a problem , after disassembling the gun I found a wad of lead shavings around the valve stem , when reassembling I messed up and damaged the poppet, got a new one on the way , the AEA guns are simple in design and built like tanks , my other AEA's are big bores and don't get shot much after deer seasons so not much wear and tear on them, they're not high end guns by any stretch but they get the job done , I also have a 357 AAA slayer and it needs a reseal after only about 75 rounds so high end guns are not without problems either, my main complaint with the AEA big bores is the weight and the trigger pull weight, JMHO.

Reactions: MWS
Just watch youtube and look for "includes paid promotion". Then remember they are being paid to do the review. Think about that as you watch and hear all the praise. It is a form of sales pitch, so just beware. There are good reviewers that get paid and there are those that well just guess.

Most people do not check the "paid promotion" check box. I would say most of the youtubers get free stuff to review, especially if you see a video and that's it. If the same gun comes back in several months then they probably decided to keep it, or they bought it with their hard earned money.

I got booted from a firearms channel because that person recently go a Pyramyd deal and was reviewing something that I knew more about. He got pissed and blocked me from the chat. Haven't gone back because more and more of his stuff sounded like a commercial, even though he complains about other "guntubers" that have nothing but commercials.

So true about the paid YouTube reviews for free equipment. Most AEA reviewers have sold their free product in the air gun classifieds.

Better to buy an Airgun from a local brick and mortar dealer. They are paying rent and they need your business. They will also help you with service. Give them an extra 2 bucks for pellets. Let them make a living. Some of these internet AEA dealers don’t even even have a phone number.

So true about the paid YouTube reviews for free equipment. Most AEA reviewers have sold their free product in the air gun classifieds.

Better to buy an Airgun from a local brick and mortar dealer. They are paying rent and they need your business. They will also help you with service. Give them an extra 2 bucks for pellets. Let them make a living. Some of these internet AEA dealers don’t even even have a phone number.

I just thought that was an interesting comment. I've been over Pete's house several times (AEA Northeast), because I used to live near him and we could skip the shipping. His other job is a truck driver. Not only from meeting him in person, but lots and lots of emails and questions he's always been totally helpful and never made me feel like I was asking a dumb question or wasting his time.

I also met Bin (BinTac) and his buddy briefly on one occasion.

As far as service goes, dealing with these guys at BinTac / AEA Northeast has been a perfect experience. If you think otherwise because he posts funny YouTube videos, you probably have the wrong impression.

Last order I made through these guys was a 6 pack of 50.15 grain .30 JSBs. A day later (just before it shipped), I texted Bin and asked him, if he could, swap that order for 44.75 grain. I was doing some last minute testing on my new Umarex Guantlet 30 and realized it preffered those.

"No problem buddy" -- and of course I got what I asked for.

TBH I don't see how you get more "brick and mortar" and down to earth guys committed to service than what I've experienced with Bin and Pete. They work their asses off and every customer is important to them.

So BinTac is where I like to buy pellets lately. They have stock when others don't too.

FWIW I sold my Challenger 357 because I don't hunt animals that big and there's better things to shoot in the back yard. Still have my HP SS 30+ which is a pretty sick and accurate backpack kind of gun. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another AEA if there was a model that enticed me for the right price. The Challenger Pro almost did it, but I went with an early release Guantlet 30 for less money. No regrets there ;)

Reactions: MWS