AEA 72 Zeus.

The main problem is that it has taken almost as long as the Hammer to ship and is still waiting!
In the mean time power has dropped from initially 1500fpe to 1000fpe at the muzzle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-YyIDQRsLQ

No one in the buisness thinks 6" of barrel will ever deliver the remaining 500fpe, no way no how!

On their new shipping www they clearly states that as shipped is as delivered and no returns due to lacking in performance!

Old site: https://www.aeaairgun.us.com/pages/aea-zeus-72-cal

New site: https://www.aresairgunstactical.com/AEA-Zeus-72-Cal-email-us-about-waiting-list_p_1397.html

Zeus asterix.1622394438.jpg

Sad but true ;-(

I would have bought the Hammer and the Zeus if they had delivered in a forseeable time.

Now i just shoot my .50 Texan all day long :)

What sort of Ft/Lbs is the Extreme getting, and the XP? Be interesting to compare what velocity they’re getting with same bullet weights.

Didnt you see my post with Mr. Hollowpoint?

They claim 500fpe from a measly 6 inches of barrel length.

No way, now how, in any way possible.

And to prove me wrong then please post actual measured velocities and bullet weights in tests done by others than AEA affiliates!

Me personally i would stay away from anything made in china

You can get something other than those Chinese silencers for your ataman if that really matters to you.

Zues seems a fun airgun novelty if/when it shows up. If you just want something with recoil to amaze your buddys it's likely the ticket. Dollar for dollar if really bwanting an airgun for some states legal hunting a DAQ would be my preference.

John

What sort of Ft/Lbs is the Extreme getting, and the XP? Be interesting to compare what velocity they’re getting with same bullet weights.

Didnt you see my post with Mr. Hollowpoint?

They claim 500fpe from a measly 6 inches of barrel length.

No way, now how, in any way possible.

And to prove me wrong then please post actual measured velocities and bullet weights in tests done by others than AEA affiliates!

Well mr hollowpoint just did testing and achieved over 1400 FPE with it, so maybe not the 500 more, but close

As far as American made, I know XP Airguns makes the .72 Quigley.

With a 735 grain slug, and 36 inch barrel, it's supposed to reach

1000+ FPE. Extreme Big Bore Air Rifles also offers a .72 slug

gun. Both companies are American made and are tanks

that come with a Lifetime Warranty.

In my 3 years researching PCP's, I've never come

across one complaint about a product from either

company. Also, you can purchase a .72 cal pistol

from each company, which look like the airgun

equivalent to a sawed off 12 gauge, and 

they both shoot accurately out to 50 yards.

Extreme also sells a 12 gauge air rifle that 

can shoot various shot, instead of a slug,

What I also find impressive, is the XP-58,

a monster of a .50 cal that is so powerful, it 

shoots heavy lead that is normally only shot out of

a .72 cal., like an 810 grain Spitzer that is used

overseas in 3-400 meter competitions with

pristine accuracy; Dan McVey is the man!

I'm anxiously waiting to find out if the 

Zeus is built to last, as their sub $1000 

products have had many returns over

quality control issues. To be fair, they

are a new company that is evolving and

learning about the quality standards that

we expect in the U.S.. I am also intrigued

by how AEA brought back Air Cartridge

technology, with some bad ass replicas:

.338 La Pua, The Barret .50 cal, and the

Smith & Wesson 500 magnum, hopefully

available next year.

I ordered the Zeus based on Mr HPs videos. I should receive it today. I hope to post some impressions this weekend for those who are interested.

So,, did the Zeus show up? , looking forward to pics and report on accuracy.

Yes it did! Here are some impressions. Accuracy results pictured in youtube at bottom of post.

I received the AEA Zeus from AEA Northwest yesterday. It was well packed and contained 10 free test slugs (Pro Slugs 925g solid flat point) and free adhesive targets. The build is robust and the gun is heavy. Assembly was easy and I added a Mr HP pic rail and ATN 4K PRO digital scope. The gun is built like a tank but also handles like one especially with optics added. Barrel is 32in and appears to be blued steel. Stock is wood and finish is surprisingly good.
I took the gun to an indoor 50 yard range to try the test rounds. The gun came charged at 4600-4700 psi. I put a round in the camber and closed the bolt. The bolt has two locking positions, one open and one closed. I really like the bolt design. I attached my FX radar chrono and prepared to fire. The trigger pull is really hard and may adversely affect your shooting. I suspect it is a massive spring that you have to let fly but it takes a lot of force (ie I thought safety was on but it was not! LOL). When I finally got the gun to fire, I was quite surprised by the recoil! It was more than a 12g shotgun and I was treated to a scope in the forehead! Imagine getting scoped by an airgun!! Recoil is on par with 375 H&H and I am a little concerned about the ATN. Moving on, the target is about 25 yds away and I am on paper (at the higher target) so I move it out to 50 yrds. Then I look at my phone for the chrono result... 886 fps!!! That is 1612 ft-lbs of energy! Much better than expected. Now if I can only get this thing to group...
The range didn't have any more of the good rests left so I only got to use a plastic support for the gun. Between that and the hard trigger I pulled the first two shots off. I also had to figure out a good way to hold this thing. The next six went in one elongated hole high and to the right. You really have to concentrate so as not to flinch with this rifle. The accuracy is likely better than I have been able to demonstrate. After 9 shots I had exhausted my air supply which consisted of an 18 cu ft guppy and a 74 cu ft tank both filled to 4500 psi. I had an Extreme booster pump along or I would have only gotten 2-3 shots. The shot string was done at 4400-4600 psi (refilling after each shot) and speeds ranged from 847-886 fps.
Now you are probably thinking an expensive, heavy gun that requires multiple CF tanks, expensive ammo, and booster pumps is not the most practical approach to hunting or plinking and you would be right. This rifle ventures well into the zone of "diminishing returns" for air power. However, if you enjoy "power for the sake of power" and are willing to make the necessary sacrifices this might be your airgun! It seems to deliver on the hype we have been watching for over a year. I have a hog hunt scheduled for early August and I plan to take this rifle. I have little doubt it can do the job if only I can do my part with it! LOL I am taking the Texan too, just in case!
zeus.1627300132.jpg
shot string.1627300156.PNG

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVoHzSKylow

The elephant in the room!!!

Bullet price.

Mr HP goes from 88 cents to $1.44 a pop.

I do hope y'all are setting up for casting.

You can get a dipping furnace for some $55 (+ ladle $7 and up) but thats a laugh (and a half) and you really need a bottom fed one for some $85

https://www.midwayusa.com/bullet-casting-furnaces/br?sortBy=5&cid=8660

Then you need a bullet mould and in .72 there are but a select few and thay are not cheap!

Tom at accuratemolds.com will set you straight for a bare minimum of $110 + addons.

http://accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=1

See page 27 and 28

So before you have made bullet number 1 then youre out the best part of $200-250 in extras!

Add to that an unlimited airsupply!