AEA .457 users

Kind of new here and have a barrel/breech leak on my hp max .457. Poppet appears fine...o rings all seem fine on the barrel itself,(2 outside barrel 1 inside)... beginning to think maybe the tiny valve pin in the cylinder could be the issue?....specifically the tiny spring or the O ring on the tiny pin. At a loss to some degree. I have added a pic of these little parts(not sure how I will get them back in now)...also the O ring that is off in the pic is the original, I placed a "fatter" one on it....but to be fair I'm not even sure these parts are the issue.

20230122_163632.jpg

Last edited:
Can you be more specific about the leak. Do you only feel air rush by you face when you shoot? Or, does the gun not hold pressure over time, with air leaking out of the gun by what apoears to be through the breech?

You are on the right track with the poppet valve seals leaking if you are hearing air come out of the breech. Replace the o-rings there for sure, as they get tore up from moving at the shot. Also, when high pressure air rushes past an o-ring it can burnish it, making it hard to seal. A lot of us lube moving parts/o-rings with Krytox GPL-205 to keep things running fast and slick.

Reactions: AirDevil
Do you only feel air rush by you face when you shoot? Or, does the gun not hold pressure over time, with air leaking out of the gun by what apoears to be through the breech?
not to sure as I have been a bit leery of firing it while it is leaking(how safe is that?)....but when I push the bolt in the air only comes from the muzzle....the thing is disassembled atm...and I'm currently on the fence over the Avenger or Airacuda max...both in .25.
but I definitely want to get the issue resolved at some point...I mean heck I still have 1k .457 rounds to shoot!
Edit: wait so just a burnished o ring can cause this? I have a lot of extra O rings but some are the same circumference in the middle but are a little thicker...also it leaks over time.

Last edited:
You can usually get off a shot or two to seal up a leaky valve seal with a partially filled air cylinder, if it is leaking from re-assembly and simply not taking air from bad o-rings or a damaged poppet. If this doesn't work, let it leak all the way down so you can take it back apart and try another set of o-rings. (Because air leaks can travel, it may not necessarily be the valve stem seals, but the actual valve housing seals.) My AEA Challenger was apart many times for mods and it seems like I had to go through some effort to get it to seal on more than one occasion.

Reactions: AirDevil
I just wanted to update this thread.
I originally got the .457 from my brother who also posted with this issue.
Finding no solution he gifted it to me...he has an account here as well, but has been sidetracked by black powder shooters.
Anyway here was my solution to the barrel/breach leak....45 option in my case.
Hope it helps someone!