• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

advice, pros/cons, alternate suggestions: AEA Challenger Pro

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some input on an air rifle I am considering purchasing. I'm considering the AEA Challenger Pro .25, donnyfl adapter, barrel band, and a saber tactical bottle clamp from the pellet shop.

My intent/goal/purpose is competing in my local guntry club's air rifle bench match as well as having some fun with long-distance plinking. I do not care about noise as I'll only be shooting at a range, plus I also plan to use a donnyfl fatboy 2.0 for funsies.

Given the total price of $943.97 ... what are some other air rifles in the almost at or not too much over $1000 range ... or is the AEA Challenger Pro my best choice?

Thank you for any and all your responses!

--HDMurex

First I will say I have never owned an AEA gun. Some big reasons are the horrible reputation about their magazines. The second is their inability to realize in the midst of putting guns out every 5 days that when you have a regulator that people are going to go in and change that being able to adjust the pre load on the hammer spring is an utter must. I mean virtually every other maker on the planet has figured this out ?? Honestly the challenger pros to me seem over sprung even with the provided soft spring in vids I have seen.

Reactions: HDMurex
First I will say I have never owned an AEA gun. Some big reasons are the horrible reputation about their magazines. The second is their inability to realize in the midst of putting guns out every 5 days that when you have a regulator that people are going to go in and change that being able to adjust the pre load on the hammer spring is an utter must. I mean virtually every other maker on the planet has figured this out ?? Honestly the challenger pros to me seem over sprung even with the provided soft spring in vids I have seen.

So if you had $1000 to blow on a .25 rifle/accessories for benchrest shooting/competition ... what would you pick?

Reactions: Scotay42
There is a challenger pro .25 for sale in the classifieds. I have had a .30 and a .35. Both of them shot lights out. Moa is not a problem. Both had the trigger polished up though, it made a huge difference. Best bang for the buck, but be willing to get in an tinker a bit. I cannot see a better option for the price.

I saw that one ... but since I have a brand new account ... I can't PM the guy about it. :(
I saw that one ... but since I have a brand new account ... I can't PM the guy about it. :(
+12295892550 text this guy. He is on this forum and jchevy in airgun warriors. Good guy to deal with.

So if you had $1000 to blow on a .25 rifle/accessories for benchrest shooting/competition ... what would you pick?
I saved up 200 more and bought a slightly used FX Maverick compact in 25 caliber. Shoots utterly lights out and is 905-909 fps pellet after pellet. Stupid consistent and fully adjustable everything.

Reactions: jmohme and HDMurex
I saved up 200 more and bought a slightly used FX Maverick compact in 25 caliber. Shoots utterly lights out and is 905-909 fps pellet after pellet. Stupid consistent and fully adjustable everything.
Let us know how the Maverick works for you.
I really like that gun and almost bought one last year but decided on something else. I may still get one though.

my opinion, and yes I own 3 AEA's is go to your club and see what or who you will be competing against. always best to know your competition.
that said, I have not gone with the challenger pro but rather the reg. challenger because for 420$ I can get a high powered regulated rifle that I don't mind tinkering with. the guns are decently accurate and the mags suck but work usually lol. if you don't tinker then save a little more. I can't tell you which gun because I don't have any high end pieces yet, though I've been looking at the urgan or vulcan.

my opinion, and yes I own 3 AEA's is go to your club and see what or who you will be competing against. always best to know your competition.
that said, I have not gone with the challenger pro but rather the reg. challenger because for 420$ I can get a high powered regulated rifle that I don't mind tinkering with. the guns are decently accurate and the mags suck but work usually lol. if you don't tinker then save a little more. I can't tell you which gun because I don't have any high end pieces yet, though I've been looking at the urgan or vulcan.
I'm competing against gear I'll never be able to afford ... I've seen people with FX, Daystate, and RAW. I was competing with a Kral puncher knight ... but I broke it, so I'm window-shopping for something more high-end. Honestly, I just want to score better than I did last time ... I'm competing with myself.

Reactions: lsi45