Advice on rats

I may have an opportunity to go after rats, I do have a PARD with a Zulus on the way. I'm thinking my Sapsan .22 should be more adequate for the job than my Compact Maverick .22, except that the Maverick can be detuned a bit. I have zero idea currently about the area I'd be in, I should have that information in the next day or so. I'm honestly not a night person in any way shape or form, so any advice is welcome.

I would take both de-tuning the Mav and see which one you prefer in the field. Take a small wood board and a jar of peanut butter, when you get there and see where the rats trails are, smear the peanut butter on the board and put it in their path (s)....😉...they cannot make off with the PB but have to stay to feed....👍. Make each gun as quiet as possible and shoot from 20-30yds.

I would take both de-tuning the Mav and see which one you prefer in the field. Take a small wood board and a jar of peanut butter, when you get there and see where the rats trails are, smear the peanut butter on the board and put it in their path (s)....😉...they cannot make off with the PB but have to stay to feed....👍. Make each gun as quiet as possible and shoot from 20-30yds.

Reactions: HogKiller
Agreed , good to have a backup anyway.

Reactions: Ranchibi
Well it turned out that the gal has them in her basement/crawl space...sorry but this old body don't do that. It seems her kitties are doing their job and KILLING. Good KITTIES.
Gal? Make that effort… 🤓 So you’re not able to setup on them from an upright position? Or maybe a sitting overwatch position? Hope you can get at them…

I have a easier solution.. I had skunk rats building nests in my barn.. they decided to eat wiring and then it was too much when I needed to clean the barn for the week and the tractor wiring was missing and then I had a sick cow and they had taken the pull rope off the squeeze..
that was it.. I never had seen one but I could smell them.. so peanut butter in a jar lid.. inside a cat sized live trap.. shot 3 in a week.. washed off the trap after shooting them inside it and reset.. skunk rats were extinct in the barn in less than one week.. I know many might think it was cheating but they were welcome out in the woods but they had to be gone with so much trouble in the barn..
also much safer since I had two JD cab tractor and 88 cows and I'm thinking 4-5 horses in the barn
.yes it was a big barn.. including 300 tons of hay.. it was 10,000 SQ ft.
Mark

I've never had access to rats. Looks like a lot of fun to take out pure vermin! Only thing funner would be tarantulas, but thankfully I don't have those near me either.
Since my farmer asked me to deal w/ his rat problem in a dry cow / heifer barn , I have tallied 370 ( confirmed ) vermin. This was in less than two years . Some of the first outings were in daylight hours while the hands were feeding or handling hay . Those critters were almost tame as house cats ! One worker said at times he stepped on some as he carried feed tubs ! The "new " generation vermin is quite different , educated & gun shy. One PFT sound & they hole up for 20-30 min.s before appearing again , sometimes not at all. There are 3 other barns I check on now . I've acquired two ATN scopes & a NV100 for after hours work.

I've never had access to rats. Looks like a lot of fun to take out pure vermin! Only thing funner would be tarantulas, but thankfully I don't have those near me either.
im in scottsville KY where are you ? i prefer the trap and kill or better yet bait and kill

Last edited:
Somerset, lake cumberland area. We get them in our chicken coup. Just got an ATN setup on the WC and hoping to bait tonight and setup a trap too. I just found a small trap in my storage. It came with my larger trap and just threw it to the side, bc i knew a coon would not go in it, my original problem on the farm.
best results will be with NO human scent on the bait , none . , you probably know this already .