advice on purchase

The 48 is a great rifle, I have one in .22 and it's very accurate, it's also very heavy. Like mcoulter I used the UTG drooper mount on mine along with low tactical six screw rings. I prefer the side cocking to brake barrels, mine's not hard to cock and butter smooth. That being said my 34 with the Vortek kit is more fun to shoot and easier to pack around.

Yeah, I read up on it...even fixed barrel has some kind of factory barrel droop. Was not in the springer world long so thought this only to be an issue with break barrels, not side levers. At least it is fixed and once scope is mounted and zero found there wont be future worries.

I contacted Athlon and they said non of their scopes are springer rated, BUT will hold up and it wont void the warranty...I swore they were praised by springers that they were? I sold Blackburn the scope when he was about to board the PCP train ...now he's on the Springer Wagon...

Gauntlet at $240 + $100 for a hand pump would equal grins all day, but, pretty much all decent airguns do that and the 48 IS a decent airgun. Heck a legend. And the T-06 trigger really is good, with only adjustment it can get satisfy a competition shooters needs.

I've had a couple of 48's a 48/52 and a 54 and a 34 all good. Also I never used "dropper mounts" preferring to remove the droop Diana manufactured into them, very easy to do at home just go SLOW, if your comfortable. I also had 1 48 that came with NO droop.
On my FT rig ( RWS 48/52) I used the Hawke one piece mount ( not using the stop pin )and never had a issue. 
My Squirrel hunting buddy uses a chopped 48, about a 13" barrel , and has taken no fewer than 1,000 Grey Squirrels with it and a better than 99% kill ratio. Does well on Targets also.

Havent had one in a few years so looking forward to a new real world write up on the current ones.
e831a3ae52202cce806be48d9968de28.jpg

Nothing wrong with a quality "springer". Bought my Beeman FWB124D in 1981 and still very usable today after many thousands of rounds Can't remember the listed cocking effort but it was not too bad. Totally self sufficent, no accessories needed except lube. Some merit to to comment about girls not wanting to cock but I also believe girls will not want to pump. You'll be on the hook with both choices. High 800''s tack driver at 10m and quarter size groups at 25m. Had a single factory overhaul done about 15 years ago. Would not be shopping now except for some arm issues.

I think either the Diana 48 or Gauntlet would have served you well. The Gauntlet would take you out to longer distances and be easier to shoot well, but as you see, it costs twice as much to get going. Another "problem" with PCPs is that once you get an air source.

I have a Diana 48 in .22 as well. Got it used at a Fun Shoot. Mine's tuned with a Vortek kit from the previous owner. It's shooting at about 18 FPE, which is just perfect.

The fixed barrel design is inherently better, in my opinion. Less to go wrong in the long run; one less alignment to worry about. The lever system also gives leverage without needing a longer barrel. (spring piston airguns don't benefit from a longer barrel like pneumatic airguns and firearms do) But yeah, they are heavier. It's not a big deal though. Get it on a sling if/when you go hunting. A shotgun sling works fine if you don't want to drill into the stock to install sling swivel studs. The rest of the time, the weight doesn't matter. Also, the weight is more rearward-biased (better balanced) than a break-barrel with the same power. The gun is just handier. 

When you get it, clean the barrel out, and try not to look for accuracy until you've shot a tin's worth of break-in pellets through it.

My '48 likes Crosman Premier Domes, H&N Field Target Trophy and JSB Exact 14.3. Both the tightest and loosest groups come from the Crosman pellets. The best average groups come from the H&N FTTs. (smaller head size) I took down a couple of skunks that were stinking up my neighborhood with mine, late this summer. It shoots Predator Polymags well, which is a bonus. They are devastating on game. Here's a squirrel I took down with mine. I have some detailed photos with forensics anlaysis, if you're interested. The scope is a UTG 4-16x44, 30mm tube, side focus "SWAT". A great value. They make one in the same series, but a fixed 10X. I'd probably get that one if I had it to do again. My '48 was made in the 90s.
d376eb782e66de65e7b3cd6dc7e1a07b.jpg

Cocking technique: Put the left side of the rear of the stock against your right leg. When you pull the lever, the rifle's braced against your leg and it feels pretty easy to me. It gets easier as the rifle breaks in and the spring takes a set.

I had a Diana 56th before. That's the same mechanism, but in a recoilless sled and a nicer-grained thumbhole stock. Notably heavier too. It wasn't worth the extra money, compared to a 48. Best for shooting from a rest. Still needed a tune, as it was quiet buzzy. With that same money, I'd rather have a 48 and money left over to have it pro-tuned.

Well, I got my Diana 48, but didn't have the chance to shoot as I had no pellets nor scope mounts/rings.

I did get some JSB exact jumbo heavy diabolo 18.13gr in and got about 3 shots through the iron sights. Before going on vacation I got the scope mounting stuff in and put it on myself. Went out with my daughter and we sighted the scope in and I taught her basic gun safety. We got about 30 pellets through the gun and she enjoyed it.

Today we got back from vacation. I setup a 20 yard range in my backyard. Shot 5 to zero in the scope. Then we each shot a 5 pellet group for practice. Then we did another "scored" 5 pellet group. My 9 year old had a blast and was getting pretty competitive with it. Here are the results of our 2nd and final 5 shot groups. She wasn't happy that I beat her (she was on left and I was on right), but I was happy with both of our performance (and the performance of the 48)!

c818be9debf0f55731a6e01436841ef0.jpg