Advice on initial purchase.

midwest

Apr 25, 2024
Been lurking around and see a lot of threads similar to mine but I have some specifics.... Like many others I am looking to pick off some house sparrows around my purple martin colony. Each year I start trapping before the martins arrive and then transition to the shot gun. Early on I can walk out and get close enough to shoot them as they fly away from my martin houses. By this time of year they have wised up and if I am anywhere in my yard they take off so I contend with several of them that are super skittish.

My martin housing is about 35 yards from my house where I could set up in a window. There are some perches around and a couple small bushes they use so my range would be 30-40 yards. I am seeking an air rifle that will shoot sparrows at that range. About 10 years ago when I moved to this house not knowing any better I bought a gun off the shelf from Wal Mart (I think it was a Gamo) or something like that, around 120.00 including a scope. I tried all different types of pellets and could never get it to group well enough to hit sparrows at that distance. I have hunted/shot weapons for 35 years but just couldn't get accurate with it.

I would like to keep my budget around $200-$300 (lowers is obviously fine) and would be fine buying used. Not picky about what type or brand it is. Just something that will take out the sparrows at that distance. Would love to hear your thoughts and if anyone has anything for sale I would be interested as well.

You can vet a $60 hand pump and there is a Kral NP03 for sale in the classifieds that would do all you need. Zero movement and easy to adjust triggers.

Screenshot_20240426_100424_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: Dairyboy
@midwest - A Gamo break barrel and some Crosman pellets would be a good place to start and stay in your budget.

A Charlie DeTuna trigger for the Gamo and some bait for the sparrows at 35 yards should take care of it.

No way to get into PCP airguns and ALL NEEDED PERIPHERAL equipment with a TOTAL budget of $200-300. (Gun, scope, tank or hand pump, trying out pellets, etc.) Probably a "springer" for you.
Gotta agree. Unfortunately $200-$300 just doesn't buy a lot of any kind of airgun these days unless you get lucky on the used market. CO2? Diana has some reputedly good guns, but I don't know if they'd work to that distance - I haven't owned a CO2 gun since the 80's.

GsT

You can vet a $60 hand pump and there is a Kral NP03 for sale in the classifieds that would do all you need. Zero movement and easy to adjust triggers.

View attachment 459225
If you can swing it, that Kral w/ a $60 pump + a cheap Hawke Vantage 2-7 scope (all in for about $450 after a tin of pellets), that would be an ideal setup that would serve you extremely well and would likely vastly outperform anything else you would be able to find in your budget.

It will be very difficult to find a PCP setup all in for $200-$300. You need a way to fill it, and the vast majority of them require an optic which at the MINIMUM will run about $50 for anything decent.

For a piston gun, something like a used RWS 34, Hatsan 95 (both guns have iron sights) would come in well below your target. You should be able to find a springer rated scope + mounts for around $120 which would put you within your price range. There is a specific technique involved with shooting piston airguns that you will need to work at. Shooting them like a traditional firearm doesn't yield good results (i.e. holding them tight).

• Wow
Reactions: Firewalker
If you can swing it, that Kral w/ a $60 pump + a cheap Hawke Vantage 2-7 scope (all in for about $450 after a tin of pellets), that would be an ideal setup that would serve you extremely well and would likely vastly outperform anything else you would be able to find in your budget.

It will be very difficult to find a PCP setup all in for $200-$300. You need a way to fill it, and the vast majority of them require an optic which at the MINIMUM will run about $50 for anything decent.

For a piston gun, something like a used RWS 34, Hatsan 95 (both guns have iron sights) would come in well below your target. You should be able to find a springer rated scope + mounts for around $120 which would put you within your price range. There is a specific technique involved with shooting piston airguns that you will need to work at. Shooting them like a traditional firearm doesn't yield good results (i.e. holding them tight).

What is everyone's thoughts on .117 v .22 or .25 for what I am doing. Sorry for all the questions, new to the scene and don't want to do what I already did a few years ago and throw money at something that won't work for what I need.
.177 or .22 will be just fine for house sparrows. If you get a PCP, .22 will consume more air per shot (unless you turn the power way down to get equal energy to a .177) so you will need to pump it more often. Not an issue, just something to consider.

.22 is typically more forgiving shot placement wise compared to .177 as well.

Where are you at midwest? There are a few of us that are in the midwest and probably would be more than willing to let you try some guns if you want. Or be willing to come over and help you if needed as well.

If you are looking at that price range I would look into a single stroke pneumatic or a lower powered spring rifle. This way you don't have to worry as much about hold sensitivity or anything like with the higher powered springers.

These would be a good start for a PCP, then the cost of a lower priced pump....and you are shooting. Or again if you are close to another member with a compressor you could probably have them top off the rifle and fill a tank from Ebay if you want.