ADVICE NEEDED - HOW DO YOU SHIP YOUR GUN FOR REPAIR?

Hello everyone!

So apparently I would need to ship my gun from NY to AOA to reprogram the Red Wolf's GCU2 board. Can anyone please share based on your experience, what carrier/shipping method/package insurance(?) you guys used to make sure your pride and joy gets to your dealer and back to you safe and sound? I'm planning on shipping the gun in a Pelican hard case for extra safety. Other than that, I'd really appreciate any other advice you could share.

Thanks!

A little while ago I shipped my FX Royale 400 back to AoA for repair and used USPS. It took over a month for USPS to get the gun to AoA. I had insured it for what it would have cost to replace it and was about to start a claim when tracking confirmed that AoA had finally received the gun. Man, was I relieved.

I could have used UPS or FedEx, but have never had a problem with USPS - up to that time. In fact, I recently sent a Benjamin Marauder m-rod to an airgunsmith for a regulator via USPS and it got there in record time - had no problem at all

Once, I used UPS to ship a pellet gun that I had sold on AGN and the clerk acted like the airgun was a firearm, idiot - I guess the word "gun" tripped her up. Another worker came over and had to tell her it was a PELLET gun, not a FIRE arm. If he hadn't been there, I'm not sure the stupid woman would have accepted it. With USPS I've never had that happen - not even close. I guess I'll still use USPS in the future, I'll just be sure to insure the gun for peace of mind.

BTW, It's a good idea to use you Pelican case and I address it to "AoA", not "Airguns of Arizona".

I've never used FedEx.

Bobby

I use either UPS or FedEX home delivery depending on the package weight - size - travel distance insured to MAX. Since your using a Pelican hard case place it in a plane card board shipping outer container, using only the letters AOA of the receiver to masquerade what is being shipped. As a further protection for baby on it's three legged blind camel journey in the hands of a possibly emotionally theatrical. And NEVER ship USPS ever, ever, ever....👀

Madcat I have personally experienced the exact opposite of that, ups always arrives in poor condition , I always use Fedex ground , and I have never once had an issue , maybe it just depends on what facility it starts it’s journey at, but with that said “stay far far away from usps” But again with usps maybe it where it’s journey begins, Use your pelican case with a little xtra foam inside to keep the gun from moving at all, and use outter cardboard abox. You will have no problem But tape the hell out of it with which ever carrier you pick 

Just my opinion...When packing you need to over pad the trigger guard area so that you have at least 3-4 inches of padding in that particular area. If you gun receives a blow on the trigger guard (like being dropped accidentally, of course) your stock would probably break. I would not use peanuts. Bubble wrap preferred. Pad the butt end and the muzzle end too. A sturdy card board box is fine but the gun should be completely immobilized in the box with the padding. You might want to check with a local gun shop for any boxes that might fit the bill. Make sure that you use packing tape to seal the box completely to keep out and dampness, water, or dirt. 

Bill

When packing you need to over pad the trigger guard area so that you have at least 3-4 inches of padding in that particular area. If you gun receives a blow on the trigger guard (like being dropped accidentally, of course) your stock would probably break. I would not use peanuts. Bubble wrap preferred. Pad the butt end and the muzzle end too.

Thanks for the extra padding tip Bill! will pay attention to that too.

I have had mostly good with some bad from all three carriers. My last trip to my local UPS store I was told they could not even ship my Airgun. So I went down the road a mile to another UPS store and had no trouble at all. Guess I know where to go from now on.

Like others I usually pack mine in the hardcase they came in and then box the case. If not I remove the barrel and wrap it up separate from the stock but in the same box. Mostly foam padding very little bubble wrap.

I have shipped many guns and stocks over the years. I ALWAYS separate the stocks from the actions-wrap them independently and lay them side by side in a box with ample packing around them. This will be in a much shorter/smaller box then a rifle case size box and lot less chance of damage. Also will be less expensive to ship due to smaller cubic inches. I have seen too much damage to stocks and guns shipped in rifle size cases/boxes. OEM boxes are good if the original preformed packing is still intact but will still be more expensive due to the overall size.

Shipper really doesn't matter to me if I do a good job of packing-they all have their pluses and minuses these days.