• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Advice needed for new permission

New pesting permission advice…

I just had someone reach out to me over an ad I posted in regards to pesting. I live in farm country and figured someone would need some help.

I’ve done plenty of hunting and pesting at our family property but never around new functioning equipment and roofing and such. Just looking for any tips or advice maybe some of the guys who have some experience can give me on do’s and don’ts of pesting. It will be for sparrows and starlings around livestock.

I have not yet had a chance to go visit them yet for an initial scout but have a feeling I’ll need something for longer range 50-100y max and close range inside the barns.

Reactions: BluegrassBill2020
Inside barns, low power springer shooting wadcutters. Watch your backstop, don't want to blow through and hit any live stock. Get written permission in hand to hunt there which can be incorporated into a document of limiting liability for the owner of the permission, in case you step in the wrong place. 2 copies sign and dated , you keep a copy on you and give a copy to the owner. Always call and ask if it would be alright to come in and hunt. Don't ask for money for ammo, could put you into a category of being a professional needing licenses.
Have fun and ether call or text thank you after a hunt, giving a report on how you did.
Just a few things I learned over the years.

If your used to just shooting straight on at targets you in might want to practice shooting at inclines because on farms most of the shots will be sitting on top of silos and roofs, for indoors better off have sub 12fpe rifle too so no over penetration.. i pest at at a local farm and probably 90% of the shots are at pigeons and crows sitting on top of the the two silos, and I usually setup on a tripod and range is like 65yds, I usually take 2 rifles my huben .25 for the long range and my Ataman bp17 for the short close range stuff

I appreciate all the advice so far! Yes, I understood the common sense things, but as some have added, really just wanted personal experience on how to handle certain things. I have a .177 shooting 14fpe for mid stuff, some super Low power .177s shooting under 8ft for indoor and a 30fpe .22 for longer range so I should be good on equipment.

My main concern was things you don’t think of when your new to it, things you overlook bc your so focused on the pests. Thanks for all the advice so far. I feel confident in my shooting abilities at different angels and I’m headed there today for a scout. Really just want to be as professional as possible, this is someone’s home/land/livelihood and any common practices to follow besides common sense I’d like to adhere to.

Thanks all.

Bring an extra gun for the property owner and take him with you and let him shoot through the roof! Lol
Kidding aside always try to have it so if you miss you hit something solid or if out side it flys in a safe direction. When you get set up in a spot open up google earth and see what will be within a quarter mile or so past where you will be aiming.
Seriously though I have known the owners of the farm i go to for 30 years and I make sure to throw a extra gun or 2 in my truck incase they want to shoot with me. I have put a couple holes (as in less than 5) in the roof of a old barn and there’s probably 50 holes in it from them. So they don’t say anything about it to me. I never go in the barn with the newer roof and they know that.

Reactions: TC724 and 6gun
clean up ALL bodies .
If there’s barn cats they usually get them before I can. Lol
I appreciate all the advice so far! Yes, I understood the common sense things, but as some have added, really just wanted personal experience on how to handle certain things. I have a .177 shooting 14fpe for mid stuff, some super Low power .177s shooting under 8ft for indoor and a 30fpe .22 for longer range so I should be good on equipment.

My main concern was things you don’t think of when your new to it, things you overlook bc your so focused on the pests. Thanks for all the advice so far. I feel confident in my shooting abilities at different angels and I’m headed there today for a scout. Really just want to be as professional as possible, this is someone’s home/land/livelihood and any common practices to follow besides common sense I’d like to adhere to.

Thanks all.
I always check my zeros and know elevation dialing before I go or when i get there. My zeros aren’t usually off but big temperature differences can make the dialing for longer shots off especially with a pcp.

Reactions: TC724
The biggest risk is sometimes the one you can't anticipate. We were shooting prairie dogs in Colorado on a ranch where we had obtained permission. My buddy was shooting and I was spotting with binoculars. As he was about to take a shot, a cow suddenly filled my field of vision behind the target prairie dog! I stopped the shot in time, but it was a lesson. The land appeared as flat prairie, but it was actually rolling, thus creating blind spots as you looked ahead. We always had at least one person watching the shot. The field of view through a powerful scope is small, and the shooter is concentrating on the target, so an unseen risk in the background can materialize without warning. When shooting alone (never the preference), you just have to be especially cautious and aware of the surroundings. Take the time to walk or drive around the shooting area to familiarize yourself with it, and always ask the landowner of any anticipated activity on the premises. Sometimes there are family members around who aren't aware of your activity, so politely ask the owner if there are other folks who need to be part of the conversation.

Well I have a follow up! Met with the land owners today and they were very nice, and had very little questions. They mainly have a huge sparrow problem but here are the takeaways:
-I dressed clean, spoke well, and arrived on time.
- I asked the owner to walk me around and introduce to me anyone else there.
-I asked for some background on the farm and what they do currently.
-I had them show me where the big problem areas were and made sure to bring my range finder with me.

Things I noted:
* Slanted roofs (6gun mentioned) I noticed how this could be an issue and was great advice!
*I cleaned up all the birds I could 9 of 11 and they didn’t care about the others.
*They only heard me shoot once and we’re impressed none of the chickens or ducks even flinched when I shot.
*They welcome me back anytime and even asked me to help with the raccoons and groundhogs.

Overall they were happy to have me and I had my Xisico Sentry with me so I ended up shooting 11 sparrows just under an hour and that was just walking around getting a feel for things. They aren’t picky at all and just were looking for any relief from the sparrows and starlings. I can’t wait to go back but most of my shots will be under 50y so I’m going to tune the FX Crown to shoot sub 20ftlbs and just use it for everything I think. Currently it’s shooting 30ftlbs

IMG_0239.jpeg