Advice from sellers

I have never sold an airgun, but the last year I have purchased several new ones and some of my prior ones are just not being used. I would really like to see them sold to someone that would use them as they are nice airguns. My chances of selling them locally are probably small.

I hear a lot about shipping issues with shippers and to be honest I dont want to post one and find out it is to expensive to ship to make it worthwile.

I just sold a Bushnell scope here a month ago and the UPS store was ok except she did have to ck with manager if they could ship a airgun optic, as no gun parts will they ship.

So I am asking experienced sellers for some advice, I have a FedX store very near, what am I looking at for shipping and insurance on an lets say 7.5 lb airgun value of $500?

I appreciate any advice about this process.

For a ballpark figure when I last shipped a rifle in for repairs over the summer, I recall paying around $85 for shipping via UPS from Texas to Arizona. I declared the insurance value at $1000 or $1500. I can’t recall. I think the weight was between 7 - 8.5 lbs. When selecting a shipping courier it’s good to ask what the max value of their basic insurance is before electing to purchase additional insurance. Sometimes the basic insurance that comes with the purchased shipping option is enough to cover the value of the item being shipped. 

Some times your employer might be an authorized shipper with UPS or FedEx. If they have an account with either then many of the regulations the private shippers use are void. My former employer (retired now) still allows me to use their UPS account to ship my guns. No questions ask, box them yourself, no restrictions as long as pkg meets UPS requirements which are far less strict!!! Because my former employer has a contract with them, shipping costs are far less costly!! My last rifle shipment was 35 bucks with 1 k of insurance. Still have to follow federal firearm laws, unloaded, not cocked or charged with air, no ammo in the case... Check it out, can save a big headache !!!

Get yourself an account with UPS and FEDEX.. Also open an account with Pirateship.com. The high dollar items I ship exclusively through UPS and insure for the full value. For small and less expensive items, I log on to pirateship and they compare rates and provide you with the best shipping option. A high dollar gun across the country could run as much as $125 - $140 including insurance. A small item like a scope $10 to $15. You will need to dip your toes in the water and give it a try. Trying to sell high end air gun items locally is a dead end street.

PS as a seller, the most important thing is communication with potential buyers. Be honest and straightforward with them to earn their trust. Don't dress a pig up in lace and call it a swan.

Simple really, and good advice above. If you use UPS, you will need to go to one of the company hub locations, the franchise operators cannot accept air guns. I have a USPS account, and have used it also. I can pay and print the label, but for some reason I can't buy insurance online, probably a fraud prevention thing. For high dollar items I sometimes take a few pictures, both to show the item, and my packing.

Two experiences I had were that an air rifle sent to me was damaged, (bent a beautiful TX 200 MK2, broke stock) UPS denied the senders claim because it "wasn't adequately protected/packaged". It was in a factory box, added bubble wrap, and in an outer box. No appeal. Felt sorry for that guy. Second was a watch sent for repair. Package was lost, no explanation offered. On the claim, UPS wanted to know who packaged it. Apparently would have denied insurance on a lost package if it was not packed by UPS store? You have to package well and hope for the best anymore, terms on the "insurance" are stacked against you. I wonder if it would make sense to see if a place that routinely ships would send it, maybe established business gets a little more care.

Two experiences I had were that an air rifle sent to me was damaged, (bent a beautiful TX 200 MK2, broke stock) UPS denied the senders claim because it "wasn't adequately protected/packaged". It was in a factory box, added bubble wrap, and in an outer box. No appeal. Felt sorry for that guy. Second was a watch sent for repair. Package was lost, no explanation offered. On the claim, UPS wanted to know who packaged it. Apparently would have denied insurance on a lost package if it was not packed by UPS store? You have to package well and hope for the best anymore, terms on the "insurance" are stacked against you. I wonder if it would make sense to see if a place that routinely ships would send it, maybe established business gets a little more care.

You are absolutely correct....that is the reason I recomend an employer to use there shipping account. With a commercial account the company becones an "authorized" shipper and as long as pkg packing requirements are met...no issues. Over the years I have had a couple small claims, took pixs of the packing and box, had the recieving end take a pic of the box upon reciept. Claim was settled in about 6-8 weeks. Being an " authorized" shipper makes a big difference !!

One thing that makes shipping an air rifle expensive is the LENGTH more than the weight. I've sold rifles in the past to experienced airgunners & removed the barrel & air tube so it could ship in a shorter package (of course the buyer & I agreed on this prior to shipping). If you're shipping in a rifle case than that option doesn't exist but if you're doing the boxing it could save a significant amount on shipping. 

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I have sent a Kratos back to Crosman for repair, and sent an avenger to someone I was selling it to and a RWS 34.

I us USPS, yes United States Post Office, had the Kratos in original double boxes, and wrapped in brown paper. Insured the Kratos for 650, and I think it cost me total for shipping and insurance about 65. 

The avenger was the same packing, and cost a little less because of insurance amount.

The RWS, I did not have a box for, so I used bubble warp, and cardboard, then made a double box, and then brown paper.

All easy at our USPS in East TN. And as stated above, if asks, SPORTING GOODS. It is Not illegal to ship air rifles, just powder burners. 

Hope this helps. 

I have also used Paypal Friends and Family for money exchange, however I put in adds, that is they want to pay the extra 4%, then they can use the other PayPal option, that I believe gives some protection. 

Sleeper192 

One thing that makes shipping an air rifle expensive is the LENGTH more than the weight. I've sold rifles in the past to experienced airgunners & removed the barrel & air tube so it could ship in a shorter package (of course the buyer & I agreed on this prior to shipping). If you're shipping in a rifle case than that option doesn't exist but if you're doing the boxing it could save a significant amount on shipping.

This is some great advice! ^^^ Length of the package does factor into cost. I think rifle boxes are considered “irregular packages” or something to that effect. 

Another decision point in selling is are you going to list the price shipped in CONUS, or buyer pays shipping, or split shipping. I have seen listed all these ways, and not sure which is the best. I have sold things with the shipping included. I would appreciate from sellers that sell a bunch their thoughts on which way to list items. 

Sleeper192