• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Advice for the newbie

Dear friends,

At last I have slowed my research for all the things I will need to pursue "pcp wonderland" and have ordered the first couple of essentials, beginning with an AGT Uragan standard rifle in .22 caliber (with the picatinny rail extension installed) ; a 106 cubic foot, 4,500 psi carbon fiber scba tank with the hose and fittings from a local dive shop that has experience in dealing with the needs of we pcp air gunners (15 minutes from my door); and a 6-24x50 30mm sfp scope. Now I need help in making other choices, hopefully posting in the most appropriate forum category. I now wish to order a quality mount for the scope. I had been thinking about an adjustable mount, such as the FX no-limit or the Eagle Vision Infinity. If anyone has experience in mounting such a scope to this rifle, or has read of others who have, I would appreciate your input. For instance, your thoughts on the most appropriate mount as far as quality is concerned, and then other specific considerations, such as the best height in which to order either model. I will be ordering a Wheeler Pro Scope Leveling Kit, Wheeler FAT wrench, Wheeler 55- (or 89-) piece SAE & metric screwdriver set, and Bondhus hex t-handle set. 

One other thing I would appreciate your thoughts about is a choice in bipod for that long rail. Talk about a very individual subject! It would probably be used from the bench, at times, as well as in the field. I stated "from the bench, at times" because I will also be ordering a Caldwell Stinger rest. I really don't need "bling" for bragging rights, just something strong and functional. Spending as much for such a tool as many can now purchase a decent pcp rifle for does not interest me. Though, from what I have read, the quality build of such bipods and their versatility in use are impressive and utilitarian. My old custom 22-250 had a simple Harris that worked just fine. I had read within the last few days of a bipod bought off ebay by "Centercut" which he paid about $60 for, and he was pleased with its operation and apparent durability. It was of the wide stance type. I found one on ebay where they are asking $72.31 for. I never bought anything through ebay and wouldn't go the auction route. If anyone knows more about the one "Centercut" purchased and was pleased with, it would be nice to zero in on that specific one. 

Thank you for your help in making these couple of decisions.

Yours,

pcpwannabe

I love Warne rings, but they are a bit heavier. I have used the Eagle Vision adjustable mounts on a Taipan Veteran, so same bullpup type situation. They worked very well! I would order the high rings. 

As far as bipod goes, I have two trains of thought. On my cheaper guns, I just slap a Caldwell "Harris-clone" type bipod on and call it a day. But for a high end gun like the Veteran or Uragan, I much prefer a quality bipod that locks in the 45° position. No sense in having a $2000+ gun setup and then shooting off a janky, rickety bipod. I'm going to try the UTG Recon bipod on my wife's Flash and see if it's a good budget bipod that locks at 45°.