• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Advice For Pesting on Local Farms?

Hey all, I recently invested in my first pcp air rifle, and while I have a bit of room to hunt on my property, I don't have as much game to hunt here as I'd like. Thus, I'd like to hunt on local farms (Florida Panhandle) doves and pigeons, but I'm wondering what requirements there would be for that? Obviously a hunting license, and proper permits, but would I need some kind of insurance as well? Any tips I could get would be most helpful, thanks.

Other than a hunting license, a letter of introduction, explaining who you are. Unless you are doing it professionally for money you don’t need a permit. Tell the landowner that you do it as a hobby, be prepare to show your equipment and projectiles. Also be prepared to demonstrate proficiency with your tool of choice. Assure the landowner you will not harm his/her livestock or damage equipment or structures... good luck!

Reactions: Airgun_N00B
I use an app on my phone to check landowner info. It gives me the owner name and total acreage they own. Shows I did my homework when I ask for permission to hunt their x number of acres. I always try to throw in the conversation that I wont shoot a certain direction because there is a house 200 feet away (measured in the app) I always bring a small plastic grocery bag to put any trash into that I find. Landowners will keep an eye on you. Believe me they will see you pick up trash and will be grateful. 

I use an app on my phone to check landowner info. It gives me the owner name and total acreage they own. Shows I did my homework when I ask for permission to hunt their x number of acres. I always try to throw in the conversation that I wont shoot a certain direction because there is a house 200 feet away (measured in the app) I always bring a small plastic grocery bag to put any trash into that I find. Landowners will keep an eye on you. Believe me they will see you pick up trash and will be grateful.

What app are you using? 

The main thing is to on get your foot into the door with your first permission. I would not try to overwhelm the farmer with too much information at first. I have brought a tablet with me a few times of my videos shooting various pests. That really peaks their interest and then I say I can show them my rifles and explain more if they seem interested. I too do my pesting purely for fun and no cost to the farmer which is very appealing. Once you do get that first permission and prove yourself responsible and effective other permissions will come. Seems all farmers in the area know each other and your good deeds will open the doors. Bill