Advice for new Weihrauch HW30S - defective action weld

That sure looks like a warranty issue to me. Hard to imagine anything you could have done to create that failure. Warranties are covered by the manufacturer, I would start with Weihrauch and see what they recommend. They may have a US based option for you that would at least save the cost of shipping overseas. I would expect they will want to replace your defective gun, and have it shipped back to Germany to figure out what went wrong.

Thank you Michigander,
So far I’ve contacted Krale, AoA, and Weihrauch. Krale sold the gun to me two months ago and they’ve been the most helpful so far. Sander is so kind as to say he’ll send a return label. They want to inspect it. I hope I won’t be on the hook for any costs.
At a certain point, I’d rather not lose any more costs and just keep the parts....
There’s also a bit of the lottery if it has to be replaced. I like nice wood stocks. 😉 A new one could have better or worse grain. Will just have to wait and see...

Reactions: baranjhn
Well, my rifle is currently on its way back to Krale. Will see how that goes. In meantime, I discovered Tom Gaylord’s series on a new HW30S in 2021 had some discussion of the exact same less-than-stellar welding on the “bridge”.

It makes me wonder how many of the newer HW30S have the same kind of welding (and potential issues, as mine shows). Many of you have HW30es; if you’ve ever taken the stock off, have you noticed what your welds looks like?

Krale kindly arranged for me to return the gun to them. I just received the gun back. It has a (used?) replacement action, which presumably has a good weld -- though I haven't opened it up to check. Sadly, the replacement action creaks considerably when being cocked and is far from smooth. The front globe was apparently swapped out as well, so I've also lost my favorite front sight in the swap. I now have two Patridges (tapered) but not my usual straight narrow blade. :( Ah well. I think I've had enough.

Suggestions? Do you guys advise me getting Maccari's tune kit from ARH? I don't have a spring compressor but wonder if it could be managed.

Going to clean the gun up now and see how it shoots...

Krale kindly arranged for me to return the gun to them. I just received the gun back. It has a (used?) replacement action, which presumably has a good weld -- though I haven't opened it up to check. Sadly, the replacement action creaks considerably when being cocked and is far from smooth. The front globe was apparently swapped out as well, so I've also lost my favorite front sight in the swap. I now have two Patridges (tapered) but not my usual straight narrow blade. :( Ah well. I think I've had enough.

Suggestions? Do you guys advise me getting Maccari's tune kit from ARH? I don't have a spring compressor but wonder if it could be managed.

You won’t need a spring compressor for the 30. Installing a spring kit is rather simple. Watch a few videos and take your time. You won’t believe the difference a tune kit makes. The creak is probably the spring. A tune will fix that. Glad all worked out with Krale. Please keep us all updated.

Reactions: jbuchse17
I had to check... and the welding appears to hold nice and strong this time 👍

B4F4776D-648A-45E0-85F8-480538028E06.jpeg

13577A55-4CAE-430F-8807-570A4A9ABA99.jpeg

Any tips on softening the safety? I’m finding it loud and very stiff plus it seems to snag occasionally on this unit. Would oiling help perhaps? I am a bit hesitant to apply on plastic.

On another note, I think I already put another 50 or so pellets through. So good to have my springer back. Shooting it is addictive... cock, load, fire, repeat!

Reactions: bouddha
Thank you for the welcome Dave! I’m hoping the problem will be righted too.

I wrote Krale and Sander has been helpful so far. He’s indicated I should return the gun to their shop. I need to find out what costs if any will be involved in returning/repair/replacement. Shipping alone is expensive!

I called AoA as well and Shane was helpful in the service department. Since I did not purchase from them, it looks like I will be liable for costs. Waiting to hear back from him on the quotes...

Sounds like a rare defect, really unfortunate it happened on my first investment! I’d chosen Weihrauch particularly for its reputation of quality and longevity...

Looking forward to getting my HW30S back up and into good shooting condition. They are on the whole nice shooters.
Worst case if they won't help you anyone who is half decent with a MIG welder can easily fix that for ya. I just got a new MIG after being without for a few years due to some thieves who obviously need a few bumps of meth more than I needed a welder. This is an easy fix for someone with even intermediate skills. You will probably have to remove the spring and piston to avoid heat damage. Be sure to tell the welder to take precautions to avoid any splatter getting inside the tube and to avoid overheating the tube and getting it out of round. You can liberally lubricate the inside of the compression tube and that will make any splatter easy to remove. I would scratch some reference marks between the base and the compression tube to ensure proper placement as the welder is likely to grind away some of the old weld. Also try to get someone who is using shielding gas and not flux wire to minimize splatter. I wish you lived closer I could do the job in ten mins or less. Shipping both ways is going to tear up a hundred-dollar bill. Any reputable welder wont charge much at all to do the job. Best wishes and let us know how things turned out. Well never mind. I should have read all the way before posting. EDIT: Have you tried a couple drops of silicone chamber lube down the port that matches up to the bbl. where you put the pellet in? Some more silicone oil in the spring chamber might smooth cocking as sometimes these guns are shipped almost dry. Im putting a Macrri tune kit in my Diana M34 this weekend as the twentyfour year old spring finally gave up the ghost.

Last edited:
Keene, I appologize for missing your question about FWB service. I have had both FWB and Steyr guns serviced by Pilkington Competition and have been very satisfied with both the price and quality of their work. They specialize in servicing of match rifles and pistols, but also took care of warranty service for my FWB Sport.

Worst case if they won't help you anyone who is half decent with a MIG welder can easily fix that for ya. I just got a new MIG after being without for a few years due to some thieves who obviously need a few bumps of meth more than I needed a welder. This is an easy fix for someone with even intermediate skills. You will probably have to remove the spring and piston to avoid heat damage. Be sure to tell the welder to take precautions to avoid any splatter getting inside the tube and to avoid overheating the tube and getting it out of round. You can liberally lubricate the inside of the compression tube and that will make any splatter easy to remove. I would scratch some reference marks between the base and the compression tube to ensure proper placement as the welder is likely to grind away some of the old weld. Also try to get someone who is using shielding gas and not flux wire to minimize splatter. I wish you lived closer I could do the job in ten mins or less. Shipping both ways is going to tear up a hundred-dollar bill. Any reputable welder wont charge much at all to do the job. Best wishes and let us know how things turned out. Well never mind. I should have read all the way before posting. EDIT: Have you tried a couple drops of silicone chamber lube down the port that matches up to the bbl. where you put the pellet in? Some more silicone oil in the spring chamber might smooth cocking as sometimes these guns are shipped almost dry. Im putting a Macrri tune kit in my Diana M34 this weekend as the twentyfour year old spring finally gave up the ghost.
Thanks for your kind response, Dan! I definitely wish I knew a reputable welder in my area. Very neat you have the equipment and the skill!

Yes, I was concerned about the shipping costs as well. It reflects very well on Krale's customer's service that I did not have to pay anything out of pocket for the shipping or repair. Sander was very good.

Re: the cocking grating sound and feel, it's settled down somewhat, but isn't silky. I have put in an order for Maccari's tune kit as I hear it is highly recommended. :D

Reactions: Dan25

I just received a HW50 from Krale last month. My vision isn’t what it used to be so I have a scope on it. I assume the sight blades are the same on these two models? If so, PM me your address and I’ll mail you the one I have.