• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Advice for a complete beginner

I have zero shooting experience in the last decade and precious little before that.
Shooting airguns seems like fun but just shooting targets from a bench at a range seems like it could get old after a while.
Then I learned about NRL22 and that seemed like it would be a lot of fun.
I am looking to get any advice from anyone who has experience.
My thinking is that to get started I will compete in the NRL22 Base division.
I am not looking to win anything. I want to develop my skills and have fun.
That means my rifle + scope have to have a combined MRSP under $1300.
If I really like this after a year or so, I may choose to move up to another division and a more expensive setup.
I live in San Diego, CA.
I would like to get a PCP rifle. My current thinking is to get a Benjamin Marauder Regulated in .22 caliber.
I am not sure if the Lothar Walther barrel upgrade makes a difference. I also am not sure whether to go with a synthetic or wood stock.
The rifle lists for about $782. Are there better options in this price range?
I have not really begun to select a scope. This would leave me with about $520 MSRP budget for a scope.
Any scope recommendations in this approximate range would be welcome.
I plan to also get a 100 cu ft air tank that I will get filled when needed at a local dive shop.
I guess I will also need a case, ammo, a rest/bag, hearing and eye protection, bipod, and extra magazines.
I am aiming to get everything I need for about $2500, but I have some flexibility.
I am hoping to get gear that is decently accurate, and won't constantly break down.

Go to the events and watch. Talk to folks and make friends. See what the guys like you are shooting, talk to them on what works and what doesn't. I know you are coming here for the same information, but its amazing what its like in person. I am sure you will find someone like me, like a lot of guys on here, that will be very open and possibly let you shoot their rig.
Two things that helped knock my rust off. I hope one day they offer both these with air rifles.
-Project Appleseed.
-CMP Sporter

I jumped in and bought all the stuff I needed to do bench rest competition without hammering out where I would practice. I wanted to compete with no dreams of winning. While that was going on life threw me some curve-balls. I was never able to participate, and one of those curve-balls is a newborn son, so I will be busy with him for awhile. Before buying all the stuff, plan to attend the competitions to see if it works for your life.

These things could save you a ton of money.

The target sizes in most of the stages of NRL22 are on the difficulty level appropriate for a 22rf.
Good 22rf ammo/standard velocity/ uses a bullet with a BC of .15-ish and is going 1050 fps giving around 100 fpe.
An airgun with heavy pellets is sending .05 BC at 900 fps or so. In your case around 30-35 fpe.
That means with pellets there is 3 times the wind drift you are fighting and getting the correct windage needed is hard enough using a 22rf as is. Hits on steel or misses in the dirt are going to be harder to see and there are other negative aspects I could go into for the FPE a 22 cal Marauder puts out.
IMHO for a beginner you will likely get discouraged because your score will be low.

Plainly put if anyone is not hitting most of the steel they are "NOT" having fun, right?!

My example - One day after getting 2nd place using my 22rf in our NRL22 match I tried my pcp on two stages for the fun of it. I likely would have finished at the bottom or close to it if I had used the airgun in the same match. WIND!!!
If there had been other airgun shooters in my club I might have tried a few matches to compete against them but competing against AZ's best NRL22 shooters with this airgun would have been total folly to me.

Personally I'd put the money towards a 22rf or keep saving and get a FX Panthera which is designed for PRS/NRL while using high BC Altaros slugs or mid BC slugs.

A friend gradually fixed up his Ruger 10-22 semi with a good stock, "Match Grade heavy barrel", after market lightweight trigger, a good scope, etc, and after a year or so he was winning matches with it.

Edit, I forgot to mention that that same friend has a .177 Marauder that he practices off of obstacles with inside of 30Y in his backyard which definitely helped his game in that regard.

Last edited:
After thinking about it I would also highly suggest researching which ancillary items to buy to help you be more steady off of obstacles.
Which bipods, bags, dope card holders, etc.

When you've shot a few matches you'll notice what the better competitors use and often they'll explain why they like them compared to similar products and even let you try them during or after the match.

Reactions: Raider03
The target sizes in most of the stages of NRL22 are on the difficulty level appropriate for a 22rf.
Good 22rf ammo/standard velocity/ uses a bullet with a BC of .15-ish and is going 1050 fps giving around 100 fpe.
An airgun with heavy pellets is sending .05 BC at 900 fps or so. In your case around 30-35 fpe.
That means with pellets there is 3 times the wind drift you are fighting and getting the correct windage needed is hard enough using a 22rf as is. Hits on steel or misses in the dirt are going to be harder to see and there are other negative aspects I could go into for the FPE a 22 cal Marauder puts out.
IMHO for a beginner you will likely get discouraged because your score will be low.

Plainly put if anyone is not hitting most of the steel they are "NOT" having fun, right?!

My example - One day after getting 2nd place using my 22rf in our NRL22 match I tried my pcp on two stages for the fun of it. I likely would have finished at the bottom or close to it if I had used the airgun in the same match. WIND!!!
If there had been other airgun shooters in my club I might have tried a few matches to compete against them but competing against AZ's best NRL22 shooters with this airgun would have been total folly to me.

Personally I'd put the money towards a 22rf or keep saving and get a FX Panthera which is designed for PRS/NRL while using high BC Altaros slugs or mid BC slugs.

A friend gradually fixed up his Ruger 10-22 semi with a good stock, "Match Grade heavy barrel", after market lightweight trigger, a good scope, etc, and after a year or so he was winning matches with it.

Edit, I forgot to mention that that same friend has a .177 Marauder that he practices off of obstacles with inside of 30Y in his backyard which definitely helped his game in that regard.
Very well said. Sums it up

I have zero shooting experience in the last decade and precious little before that.
Shooting airguns seems like fun but just shooting targets from a bench at a range seems like it could get old after a while.
Then I learned about NRL22 and that seemed like it would be a lot of fun.
I am looking to get any advice from anyone who has experience.
My thinking is that to get started I will compete in the NRL22 Base division.
I am not looking to win anything. I want to develop my skills and have fun.
That means my rifle + scope have to have a combined MRSP under $1300.
If I really like this after a year or so, I may choose to move up to another division and a more expensive setup.
I live in San Diego, CA.
I would like to get a PCP rifle. My current thinking is to get a Benjamin Marauder Regulated in .22 caliber.
I am not sure if the Lothar Walther barrel upgrade makes a difference. I also am not sure whether to go with a synthetic or wood stock.
The rifle lists for about $782. Are there better options in this price range?
I have not really begun to select a scope. This would leave me with about $520 MSRP budget for a scope.
Any scope recommendations in this approximate range would be welcome.
I plan to also get a 100 cu ft air tank that I will get filled when needed at a local dive shop.
I guess I will also need a case, ammo, a rest/bag, hearing and eye protection, bipod, and extra magazines.
I am aiming to get everything I need for about $2500, but I have some flexibility.
I am hoping to get gear that is decently accurate, and won't constantly break down.
IMO, Benjamin Marauder Regulated in .22 caliber is a good choice for beginner.

Just go have fun!!

I shot my last match with my EdGun R5M in .25 cal. Sadly I didn't do so hot as I forgot to reset my scope for a stage and got a zero. Noticed after the stage was over sadly.

But go have fun and talk to people. Many people I shot with were shocked I was shooting just as well as the 22 lr was.

Go, have fun, and don't get upset with your score. To many people get hung up on the points and it ruins their day.

Just go have fun!!

I shot my last match with my EdGun R5M in .25 cal. Sadly I didn't do so hot as I forgot to reset my scope for a stage and got a zero. Noticed after the stage was over sadly.

But go have fun and talk to people. Many people I shot with were shocked I was shooting just as well as the 22 lr was.

Go, have fun, and don't get upset with your score. To many people get hung up on the points and it ruins their day.
Do you think you had a harder time spotting misses compared to 22lr?