Adjustable Trigger Troubles?

Friends, I have an air arms pro sport in 177 cal. She has been an amazing and accurate shooter and only to get better by the work from nitro crusher. I have installed a while back a Rowan adjustable trigger. And I had no trouble with it in regards to adjustment and/or the PS's accuracy.

But a few days ago I felt the shoe move a little bit in the different direction so I took the trigger guard off readjusted it tightened it back up reinstalled the trigger guard and went back to shooting the same way I always do and that's off bucket and sticks.

Upon my first couple shots they were all over the place at 25 yards where it's usually grouping moa. So what little bit of hair I have left I was pulling it out wondering what happened. So I made sure my stock screws are tight my scope rings were tight. I haven't dropped my rifle, I haven't bumped the scope, nothing.

So while adjusting the trigger shoe to where I felt comfortable I tightened it back up again and it started grouping just a little bit better. Then I was wondering is it because the position of the trigger shoe while shooting. Meaning every time I made an minute adjustment to the shoe itself in very small increments my groups opened up dramatically. When I say dramatically I am saying like an inch to a inch and a half and not even close to my point of impact.

So my question is will the adjustment of turning the trigger shoe from left to right in minute small increments will it affect my actually that greatly? And if that is so, why? And again if that is so what is there to be done about it? Because my last two groups that I shot today it seemed like it had to settle in for some odd reason and maybe that's the case. But it seems like it changed how light I have to hold it now the whole rifle while it's in the sticks. It seemed like it also changed the pressure of my cheek weld. I'm really at a loss to the point where I wanted to beat her against the tree but I felt better of it wiped her down and put her away. Any and no help will be greatly appreciated.

this is cross-posted

Friends, I have an air arms pro sport in 177 cal. She has been an amazing and accurate shooter and only to get better by the work from nitro crusher. I have installed a while back a Rowan adjustable trigger. And I had no trouble with it in regards to adjustment and/or the PS's accuracy.

But a few days ago I felt the shoe move a little bit in the different direction so I took the trigger guard off readjusted it tightened it back up reinstalled the trigger guard and went back to shooting the same way I always do and that's off bucket and sticks.

Upon my first couple shots they were all over the place at 25 yards where it's usually grouping moa. So what little bit of hair I have left I was pulling it out wondering what happened. So I made sure my stock screws are tight my scope rings were tight. I haven't dropped my rifle, I haven't bumped the scope, nothing.

So while adjusting the trigger shoe to where I felt comfortable I tightened it back up again and it started grouping just a little bit better. Then I was wondering is it because the position of the trigger shoe while shooting. Meaning every time I made an minute adjustment to the shoe itself in very small increments my groups opened up dramatically. When I say dramatically I am saying like an inch to a inch and a half and not even close to my point of impact.

So my question is will the adjustment of turning the trigger shoe from left to right in minute small increments will it affect my actually that greatly? And if that is so, why? And again if that is so what is there to be done about it? Because my last two groups that I shot today it seemed like it had to settle in for some odd reason and maybe that's the case. But it seems like it changed how light I have to hold it now the whole rifle while it's in the sticks. It seemed like it also changed the pressure of my cheek weld. I'm really at a loss to the point where I wanted to beat her against the tree but I felt better of it wiped her down and put her away. Any and no help will be greatly appreciated.

this is cross-posted
And now you know. These springers can be finicky to shoot and demand absolute consistency.

I have the same Rowan adjustable trigger in my TX. While adjusting for length of pull (it was too far away, very minute amount) I did notice my group shrinking. After adjusting to the "right" length.

One time the trigger blade rotated. I was touching the edge of the blade ...I didn't notice my group opening up like yours did. I might have adjusted it back right away and not noticed.

Like you, I've noticed that little adjustments can have huge impact on group size on springers.
1.Shoulder pressure,
2.how and where the gun's forearm (in my case hamster) is resting.
3.Trigger control (it doesn't take much to jerk that trigger).
4.Positional control (in my case I tend to flinch prior to trigger pull).

As to the "why", I think you already know. Think of these main springs uncoiling violently like a snake when you pull the trigger and then the pistons rebounding back.
Even "tuned" (tuning just makes it easier to consistently control items 1-4) , the trigger is the critical motion that initiates this recoil. If you change the location/orientation of the trigger, it can potentially impact items 1-4 or a combination of these (remember everything is inter-connected)...thus impacting group size.

Lastly, I know you said you've checked the tightness of all the screws (stock, trigger, scope). Just lightly double check them again.

Last edited:
SpiralGroove,

Thanks for the reply brother appreciate it. I am referring to my Rowan adjustable trigger that is in place of the AA CDT. I hope that I'm not misunderstanding your reply and if so, my apologies. Or possibly I am using the wrong terminology when I say trigger shoe.

The part I was adjusting is the part I put the pad of my finger on to pull the trigger. Is that the shoe or trigger blade?

And now you know. These springers can be finicky to shoot and demand absolute consistency.

I have the same Rowan adjustable trigger in my TX. While adjusting for length of pull (it was too far away, very minute amount) I did notice my group shrinking. After adjusting to the "right" length.

One time the trigger blade rotated. I was touching the edge of the blade ...I didn't notice my group opening up like yours did. I might have adjusted it back right away and not noticed.

Like you, I've noticed that little adjustments can have huge impact on group size on springers.
1.Shoulder pressure,
2.how and where the gun's forearm (in my case hamster) is resting.
3.Trigger control (it doesn't take much to jerk that trigger).
4.Positional control (in my case I tend to flinch prior to trigger pull).

As to the "why", I think you already know. Think of these main springs uncoiling violently like a snake when you pull the trigger and then the pistons rebounding back. Even "tuned", the trigger is the critical motion that initiates this recoil. If you change the location of the trigger, it can potentially impact items 1-4 or a combination of these...thus impacting group size.

Lastly, I know you said you've checked the tightness of all the screws (stock, trigger, scope). Just lightly double check them again.
Thank you brother. I'm beginning to wonder if it's me learning to trigger and the trigger position and trigger pull again.

For me i guess the blade is stock bare trigger where you put your finger and a shoe is a add on or adjustable part to mod or improve the blade finger potision.
Well I just looked it up and it's the trigger shoe that I was adjusting and while adjusting I think I moved it out of its correct placement and therefore was giving me different point of impacts. Maybe I just have to learn it again

Your correct in calling it the shoe if its this style ( at least to me) .. seemed rowen has a pdf on it that may help ..?
tx200mprtrigger3.jpg

They call it the blade

"The trigger blade is adjustable forwards/backwards by 10mm and can be twisted to a comfortable position"

Anyway a shoe slips on or adjustable like that slips on the trigger post. Or like this that slips on the trigger blades ( left trigger)
th-3839637816.jpg

In the end what do i know anyway ,right?🤤

Last edited:
Reactions: josh3rd
SpiralGroove,

Thanks for the reply brother appreciate it. I am referring to my Rowan adjustable trigger that is in place of the AA CDT. I hope that I'm not misunderstanding your reply and if so, my apologies. Or possibly I am using the wrong terminology when I say trigger shoe.

The part I was adjusting is the part I put the pad of my finger on to pull the trigger. Is that the shoe or trigger blade?
Oops :whistle:

SpiralGroove,

So in your opinion do you think that is what it is regardless of what the part is called? So just for arguments sake let's call it a trigger shoe. The part that you put your index finger on to pull or depress to shoot your rifle or pistol. It's the piece that's up in the picture above.

Anyway I'm wondering should I remove the trigger guard again, loosen the trigger shoe, so it would just flop around, then put the rifle into the shooting sticks like I'm going to shoot it, then find out what's is most comfortable and then try to tighten it from there and reinstall the trigger guard. What are you guys think?

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Thats how i would do it . The best positive spot for trigger pull to follow through. That one you got is more for competitive style. .. i wonder if it's worth drilling a hole in the guard so you can just stick your allen wrench in to adjust without removing the guard each time ?
Dude I was thinking about that yesterday lol

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Thats how i would do it . The best positive spot for trigger pull to follow through. That one you got is more for competitive style. .. i wonder if it's worth drilling a hole in the guard so you can just stick your allen wrench in to adjust without removing the guard each time ?
Before you go drilling a hole in your trigger guard, try shortening an Allen key. That's what I did with mine so that it just slides in there to adjust the trigger shoe.

Before you go drilling a hole in your trigger guard, try shortening an Allen key. That's what I did with mine so that it just slides in there to adjust the trigger shoe.
That'd work .. maybe i do kinfa like how they made it one screw for up/down and left/right.

Just hole or shorting on whatever makes it rasy to tighten when your holding it naturally with your trigger finger and set it firm

Yeah I hate taking the trigger guard off adjusting it, putting the trigger guard back on yada yada yada. But it's crazy cuz my shots will still be off then group tight. And as soon as I readjust it same thing over again my group opens up to inch-inch and a half.

I usually put the front stock screws on top and in line with the yolk of the primo trigger sticks. And I always been shooting that way. So now when I adjust the trigger shoe either a little bit to the left or a little bit to the right trying to find where it best fits me, my groups open up again and again they'll shrink back to almost their original group size that's usually occurs when shooting at whatever distance. But then it also seems to change the place where it likes to be placed in/on the sticks. Like now it's usually about 12 finger widths away from the trigger guard as to the usual place where the stock screws are at. Hope all this makes sense.

If You see any grammatical errors it's because of Google's speech to text

Last edited:
Yeah I hate taking the trigger guard off adjusting it, putting the trigger guard back on yada yada yada. But it's crazy cuz my shots will still be off then group tight. And as soon as I readjust it same thing over again my group opens up to inch-inch and a half.

I usually put the front stock screws on top and in line with the yolk of the primo trigger sticks. And I always been shooting that way. So now when I adjust the trigger shoe either a little bit to the left or a little bit to the right trying to find where it best fits me, my groups open up again and again they'll shrink back to almost their original group size that's usually occurs when shooting at whatever distance. But then it also seems to change the place where it likes to be placed in/on the sticks. Like now it's usually about 12 finger widths away from the trigger guard as to the usual place where the stock screws are at. Hope all this makes sense.

If You see any grammatical errors it's because of Google's speech to text
Josh, pull your stock off and make sure that you don’t have a crack under that front trigger guard screw.

While it’s off, make sure the aluminum cocking handle assembly is still tight to the blued action.

Steve