Adjustable power bullpup style air rifle options?

In the past, I have considered the Brocock Compatto and FX Wildcat but, I opted for an Air Arms air rifle at the time. I am looking for something more compact today with a variable power level. I have a preference for a good magazine option but, a single load air rifle is acceptable if it is the 'right' one.

It looks like the FX Wildcat and Bobcat have newer barrels and caliber change options which are attractive. The Brocock options seem to have really blossomed with the XR series. It also looks like they are all the same at the core action with different stocks and air options. Kalibr Guns was another one I briefly looked at.

For a relatively compact and light option, what are the pro's and con's of these options and others I'm unaware of? I am thinking primarily about .177 caliber but a .22 is also viable. If I need to shoot anything larger than a pigeon or rat/squirrel hitting a chicken feeder, I will likely use either my 22lr or one of my high-power PCP air rifles or possibly a springer. I should note, that I'm looking to stick with a 'premium' vendor. Airguns of Arizona is my initial focus but, I'm open to other quality vendor recommendations. Saving $20 on a >$1K air rifle buy using a marginal online vendor is not something I am interested in.

TIA, Sid

Hi Sid,

A not previously mentioned:

If you don't mind rear side-lever bullpups, the Taipan Veteran Compact isn't a bad choice. The power can be adjusted with the hammer spring preload with good results. (Yes I realize this may not result in the best tune but the Veteran does quite well.) The magazines are very simple and robust. The gun holds zero. Anti-double feed for the ammo is a nice touch. I might mention if you go way low on velocity and light pellets, you may have a situation where the magazine will not index as the airgun does not sense the previous shot has been fired. About 24" long, quiet, but maybe a bit heavier than you are looking for. It is worth a look.

Good luck in your quest,

Nugria

The FX Maverick is another option, you can get it with 500mm (Compact), 600mm (VP) or 700mm (Sniper) barrels, but the .177 is only available in 500mm. The FX dual regulator system is super hard to beat, and I absolutely adore my Maverick VP in .30cal! The Maverick and the Wildcat MKIII are essentially the same guns with different stocks.

20220419_205055.1650947226.jpg

May I suggest a Huben K1 in .22. It's easy to tune for whatever power level you chose, from 400fps to supersonic. Kelly at Krazy Kool Air Guns, his service is second to none.

I would have to agree. For ease of tuning, and bullpup style, you can’t beat the Huben. The only reason I don’t own one, is the lack of decocking, and with having young kids around, I’m not comfortable with a gun that can’t be decocked and unloaded around the house. If you don’t have small kids, and don’t mind the fixed magazine, the Huben will be the ticket!

Depends what you want to do with it and if you're trying to save money or not. Do you want to shoot slugs or pellets? Heavy pellets are more than enough for ethical hunting with good shot placement. 

Cost and savings-wise, if you're after an FX, the Dream Pup is a great starter option to get your feet wet into tuning and stuff. You can get it with a bottle or tube in .177 or .22

For a little more $, a Wildcat. Those guns will get you shooting heavy pellets like lasers, and can be tuned and built to shoot slugs at your own pace and expense down the road.

Do you want a simple gun with a traditional Lothar Walther/CZ/rifled barrel that comes from the factory shooting like a laser? Edguns and Taipans are the 2 I'd recommend immediately.

There are other options out there, like Huben, Airmaks, etc...And then there is the Impact M3 if money isn't an option. For me, I wanted a robust and reliable, super accurate bullpup. When it came down to it all, I would rather sacrifice the shot count and lightweight for a more solid feeling and inherently accurate rifle for less than 1500. That was the Taipan for me!